main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RUMOUR: Tim Zahn Writing A New Star Wars Book?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "Zahn is the Elvis of the SW novelists!"

Well...you know what they say about people either liking the Beatles or Elvis, and never both...well...I'm a Beatles fan. So...I'm not going crazy over this rumor.

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Zahn is the Elvis of the SW novelists!

I saw Zahn working in my local store! :)

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Xizor: I'd prefer to believe that the Sate Pestage on Byss was the clone, created - like the DE Palpatine, and perhaps the DE Jen Droga - by Sedriss... [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    No evidence to your assumption. While there is evidence to the contrary.

5. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yeah, Val's right. It seems there's evidence that prove you wrong this time.

Dan, any official word on Hijarna's stone being shaped by the Vong ??? ;)

6. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Val - why does the Dark Empire Emperor know nothing of the Sith?! Why does he wait five years rather than simply reappearing and reclaiming the Imperial throne immediately after Endor?! Why, in spite of his protestations, does he show symptoms of an uncontroled insanity which resemble Clone Madness?! Who is the Sate Pestage on Byss?! And who, indeed, is the Jen Droga (let me get this straight, the SWAJ story has Droga crash, but the idea that he 'piggy-backed' Palpy to Byss comes from the Gamer?)?! And if the Emperor needed to 'piggy-back' Jen Droga from Endor to Byss, how did he manage to get back from Pinacle Base?

And if Empatajayos Brand could prevent the Emperor from doing anything in Empire's End, surely Ben Kenobi, Yoda and Anakin Skywalker could do something similar in Return of the Jedi...

Note that I'm not saying that the Emperor Palpatine didn't have a cloning facility which he used on Byss, simply that it is, IMHO, easier on the continuity for the 'Emperor' in Dark Empire to have simply been a clone created by Sedriss - perhaps Dark Jedi Guardian in charge of Byss - created from the merely physical resources there in the same way that Joruus C'baoth and Luuke Skywalker were created at Wayland...

In this light, the 'Emperor' of the Second Imperium in YJK might even have been the program used by Sedriss to create the minds of the DE Emperors running simply as a non-sentient piece of software...

- The Imperial Ewok

7. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Let's simplify the argument by setting aside the Gamer information for the moment. After all, Zahn didn't know about it when he wrote VotF.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Val - why does the Dark Empire Emperor know nothing of the Sith?!"

He does know about the sith actually. There is nothing in the story that says he doesn't know about the sith. Besides in how much of the EU is palpatine's connection to the sith mentioned(Beyond vader being DLOTS), in pre tpm EU???

"Why does he wait five years rather than simply reappearing and reclaiming the Imperial throne immediately after Endor?!"

Because there was breakdown of the fleet and warlords in controle of various factions. He had to rebuild his power.

"Why, in spite of his protestations, does he show symptoms of an uncontroled insanity which resemble Clone Madness?!"

Actually he has always shown meglomania even in the movie. Mad laughs and stuff. The rotj novel says that "He thought he was the universe". These are not the thoughts of a sane man. So perhaps he had clone madness even back then, ;), considering he had taken countless clones during the civil war era. Some hinted at in AJ, and one seen right after anh, in Ryder Windham's Darth vader's return.

" Who is the Sate Pestage on Byss?!"

The real original sate pestadge. MAS fudges up, and didn't do his research. So the continuity people at lfl, have made the sate killed by krennel the clone, one who was working counter to the commands of the real sate pestadge.

"And who, indeed, is the Jen Droga (let me get this straight, the SWAJ story has Droga crash, but the idea that he 'piggy-backed' Palpy to Byss comes from the Gamer?)?!"
    And if the Emperor needed to 'piggy-back' Jen Droga from Endor to Byss, how did he manage to get back from Pinacle Base?

Jeng Droga was the captain of palpatine's personal yaught, and his most loyal dark jedi and hand. Infact he was so loyal that he constantly had a connection to palpatine at all times. When palpatine clone body died at endor. Jeng screamed out in terror, and crashed the ship. Killing himself and his crew. Palpatine used the connection to enter jeng's body bringing him back to life.

From pinnacle base he most likely pulled of the same maneuver.

"And if Empatajayos Brand could prevent the Emperor from doing anything in Empire's End, surely Ben Kenobi, Yoda and Anakin Skywalker could do something similar in Return of the Jedi..."

Because they didn't do that in the movie, and didn't know that he could do that.

"Note that I'm not saying that the Emperor Palpatine didn't have a cloning facility which he used on Byss, simply that it is, IMHO, easier on the continuity for the 'Emperor' in Dark Empire to have simply been a clone created by Sedriss - perhaps Dark Jedi Guardian in charge of Byss - created from the merely physical resources there in the same way that Joruus C'baoth and Luuke Skywalker were created at Wayland..."

It is not easier because there is no problem and there never was a problem. Even if it took months for the spirit to cross space that too would have been the reason why he wouldn't have appeared until five years later.

"In this light, the 'Emperor' of the Second Imperium in YJK might even have been the program used by Sedriss to create the minds of the DE Emperors running simply as a non-sentient piece of software..."

No the second imperium was created by some false imperial guards, not sedriss.

Jeng droga even was fooled by it and ran to yavin at that time to helpe his master again. But found out it was a fraud. In madness he went berzek, and was most likely killed by the jedi in defense.

DE SB even goes deeper into palpatines plans and systems.

"Let's simplify the argument by setting aside the Gamer information for the moment. After all, Zahn didn't know about it when he wrote VotF."

No, all current and previous continuity is valid in lfl's policy. When a story is part of the universe it is valid source of information for all plots.

Let's face it mara had an oppinion and she was completly wrong.

It is hardly the end all and beat all of continuity comments, it doesn't mean a thing, when evidence proves otherwise.

Mara asked why "didn't she get c

9. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Valiento-
    Sure, the stories in Gamer do have relevance to the accuracy of Mara's opinion, but not to the quality of Zahn's work. He can't really be held responsible for contradicting information that didn't exist when he wrote VotF.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I'm, not using it to disprove the quality of zahn's works. Just to show that thrawn Mcewok's oppinions are false.

Beyond that, there was plenty of sources that came out before VOTF, that disproved zahn's comments. ryder's story for one. AJ for others.

Like, I said I enjoyed all of zahn's books. I just have a few issues with certain things pretty much only in the last book.

11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "Val - why does the Dark Empire Emperor know nothing of the Sith?!"

Who says he doesn't?The Dark Empire SB says he's a jack of all trades.He even studied the Jedi teachings and perverted them .He's the most powerful Dark Sider in history.In Empire's End,you see him conversing with Sith Lords.They ask Palpatine if he's ready to join them.

He had to piggy back in Jen Droga cause Endor was so far away from Byss.Also,his death at Endor had been violent and sudden
    instead of controlled like all his other deaths.He didn't have time to prepare.As a result,his spirit was disoriented and weak.He could barely keep from crossing over.He used the psychic link
    with Droga and inhabited him.Palpatine's spirit brought him back from the dead but also msde him go insane.Pestage retieved Droga and Palpatine and returned them to Byss.There,Palpatine took a new clone.

He was still weak from his arduous journey through the void,according to the DS SB.He needed time to recuperate...and become stronger in the Dark Side.

There was also another reason he waited so long.He needed to weed out the incompetants from his Empire.He planned the Imperial civil war.He also felt it was just.His forces failed him,and the penaly for failure was death,kust as it had always been.

You may think that's insanity but I don't see how you can.99% of his prophecies came true.He even foresaw his death at Endor according to to the Dark Side sourcebook.The man knew what the outcome of the Imperial CW would be.Didn't it all work out?The Empire reaffirmed it's allegiance to him and he re-conquered the galaxy in a few months.

As for Palpatine losing his cool...he only did it twice.Once when Leia and Luke surrounded him with a wall of light and another time when he was near death.

Wouldn't you panic if the devil rose from your floor and told you that unless you could find some way to avoid your fate,you would rot in hell tommorrow?Of course.

I think even you know your arguments are weak,McEwok. ;) You just don't like the whole idea of Dark Empire,right ? ;)

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Matt, thanks for the more precise info.

13. jade-sabre

jade-sabre Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2000
    Zahn is by far the best SW author. I hope he fills us in on who Mara's parents are in his book. The would make excellent characters to write about and would be a good way to tie in her significance to the Skywalker family. Her mother/father could have been friends with Qui-gon or Mace. They could be someone the Emperor keeps his eye on just like young skywalker.

No Matter what Zahn writes about, a prequel book would be fantastic by him!

14. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    The reason the CLoned Palpatine showed signs of clone madness despite being the real Palpatine in spirit is because his spirit was inhabiting a defective mind... one that was sabotaged by palpy's doctor at Carnor Jax' insistence.

15. ron corless

ron corless Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 1999
    A prequel book by Zahn about who Mara Jade's parents were is a good idea,Jade-Sabre! Maybe her parents might have known Mace Windu or Qui-Con or even Obi-Wan? Again I hope that if Zahn does write a prequel book it will involve Qui-Con,Obi-Wan,Mace,Mara Jade's parents or even Talon Kaarde's parents. And I hope it will have great space battles and lighsaber duels just like his Thrawn trilogy and Hand of Thrawn duology.

16. VILLIEMACE

VILLIEMACE Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2001
    I think a new star wars book by Tim Zahn would be extremely cool. I would be very interested to learn about Thrawn or Jorus C'baoth. That glimpse of Jorus in Cloak of Deception was not enough.

More more more!!

17. moff_Sammael

moff_Sammael Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    This would be great. Tim Zahn is my most favorite SW writer, and I would really be happy if i could read another SW book from him.

18. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    why do you want to ruin the mystery of Mara's parents? Some things are best left untold

19. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Matt: actually, I like DE... I just feel that editorial and LFL intervention, and the 'fixes' imposed to make it fit in the continuity established by Zahn, lead to problems with characterization and plotting which are best resolved by considering the DE Emperor as a straight-line clone... it isn't a question of changing DE in any way, simply of assuming that certain things happen 'off-camera'...

I do have counters to your and Val's arguments, though... but it all depends, IMHO, on 'a certain point of view'...

- The Imperial Ewok

20. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    God dang...you guys are harsh on a fella. Heh, it's ok Thrawn, we're not ALL tryin to tear ya down.

;-)

JMA

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Matt: actually, I like DE... I just feel "that editorial and LFL intervention, and the 'fixes' imposed to make it fit in the continuity established by Zahn, lead to problems with characterization and plotting which are best resolved by considering the DE Emperor as a straight-line clone... it isn't a question of changing DE in any way, simply of assuming that certain things happen 'off-camera'... "

- The Imperial Ewok"

"I do have counters to your and Val's arguments, though... but it all depends, IMHO, on 'a certain point of view'..."

There is no editorial problem on LFL's part except in the fact that they let zahn walk allover previously established continuity, marvel, DH, or otherwise.

If you want to live in denial that is your right. But LFL didn't have to fix anything, they made it clear that palpatine was the real palpatine, they had continuity links to that fact, long before zahn wrote the VOTF.

If you want to ignore plots thats up to you. But your oppinions can't be taken at all seriously in any discussion of official EU as a story. It defies lfl's policy, and therfore falls under that category of fan fictional belief systems, I.E. Fanfic.

What is your oppinion of an error on LFL's part is not an error but only in your eyes. An oppinion that truly doesn't mean anything. So go ahead keep on repeating your beliefs. But I doubt anyone here will take you seriously. If they do then they too would be defieing something that is not an error, and following after one of many of zahn's lack of research of all sources, tracing back to the time of TTT. Zhan completly admits in AJ #1. 2 wrongs don't make a write. Believing a wrong of a wrong, doesn't make your beliefs right.

So let me leave this thread for a bit, with a chuckle on your expense, ROTFLOL

22. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Good Lord Valiento, could you be anymore unnecessarily harsh? Man...

I experienced some of this with the whole Kyle Katarn thing, and I feel it's uncalled now as it was uncalled for then. It's not your place to try to cram someone into believing YOUR interpretation of Star Wars and the EU, and how everything fits together. Part of the glory of this is that everyone pictures things differently. I know I do. Many people believe Corran Horn to be a horribly arrogant character, but I do not. That's my opinion, and my right as an individual. I don't see Thrawn McEwok being hostile in any way. All he's doing is expressing how he chooses to view Star Wars; how he interprets the story in a way that brings the most enjoyment for him. Why is all this hostility on your part necessary? You are not always correct, and your way is not always the only way, so let people have their own opinions. This board is supposed to be a forum for that very thing, a sharing of ideas, so you might try to tone down the hostility and contempt a notch or two.

Sheesh.

JMA

23. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    "Why does he wait five years rather than simply reappearing and reclaiming the Imperial throne immediately after Endor?!"

Because there was breakdown of the fleet and warlords in controle of various factions. He had to rebuild his power.

Not much of an explaination, though. it leaves too many questions. Is that the official EU explaination? It would have simply worked better if the DE Emporer was just a clone who thought he was the real thing, crazy and all like Cabooth. Thanks to Mara's line in VOTF, this is now a possiblity, but the way Dark Horse wrote it, an unlikely one. If Palpatine retransfered his living essence into another form after ROJ, he could have reclaimed the thrown right away, before things got out of hand. T.A.Baukara shows us that although the Empire did start to disengrate right away, their was a pause, a time when all the Moff and what-not got together to figure out what next. Palp could have just showed up and said "no problem, I'm here" and returned business as usual. If the Emperor had been around, how come Thrawn, who controlled most of the empire for a time, knew nothing of the Emporer's return? Or Mara, who had a physic link with him? Once again, all this is explained away if he's just a clone who was cloned about the time of Last Command.

The idea of the true emperor returning after ROJ is insulting to the trilogy. It lessens the signifactions of the victories at the end of ROJ, lessens the signifcants of Vader killng Palp. ROJ becomes just another battle in the war against the empire, instead of the killing blow that eventually destroys the empire.

OK, back on topic, I'm sensing a lot of dislike for Zahn here, why is that?

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Stryphe all the questions you've asked are answered ad nauseum in many LFL sources, including a whole book called the Dark Empire Sourcebook which was many pages of emperor's plans, commands behind the scenes information of what he was doing after rotj.

About why he didn't contact mara it's there(She failed him so he was setting up to punish her for her mistake.).

What about thrawn, it's there(Palpatine machinated thrawn's downfall.)

Why didn't he just show up earlier. There is many pages of explanations. Including the fact he was worried that in his weakened state that someone would try to kill him. A fear that was rightfully thought about because he infact was being poisoned by his own minions.

Want to know anymore that is the book that explains it all.

DE was said to be enjoyed by lucas himself. Infact veitch went to lucas and took notes from him on how palpatine should be, according to an interview(either in AJ, or galaxy magazine).

As for thoughts on if it messes with anakin's sacrifice that all depends on the oppinion of an individual. Some believe that the overall meaning of the movies was anakin's redemption and not dieing as an evil man, while saving luke, so that luke could keep the galaxy at peace.

But that is just one of many beliefs. I just think it's not right to ignore EU on whim, when discussing "official" EU literature. Where "official" world is more valid than any fans word.

25. GUARDSMAN

GUARDSMAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2001
    I have a question for you Valiento since you know a lot of things. When you said Palpatine machinated Thrawns downfall did you mean he was planning on destroying Thrawn or did he actuall take a part in it? cuz I thought Leia was the one responsible when she turned the Noghri against Thrawn.

I think that it also makes sense for Palpatine to plan/take part (Valiento should confirm whether he was just planning it or if he acutually took part in it) because he might of found out about Thrawn not being as loyal to the empire as Thrawn acted like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.