main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RUMOUR: Tim Zahn Writing A New Star Wars Book?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Valiento, if the DE sourcebook claims that Palpatine engineered Thrawn's downfall, then doesn't that make Veitch was equally guilty of trying to rewrite Zahn's work?

2. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Timothy Zahn fathered the Expanded Universe as we know it--and we are all better people for it, I think. The StarWars galaxy exists as it does because of his vision as much as George Lucas's (I know that is an audacious statement, but c'mon!). I would be perfectly content--happy even--if Zahn wrote every StarWars novel.

3. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    Not every Star Wars novel. That would take ages- Zahn isn't as fast a writer as others. Besides, he has his own projects to work on. However, I'd be glad to see Del Rey publish a few books from him.

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "have a question for you Valiento since you know a lot of things. When you said Palpatine machinated Thrawns downfall did you mean he was planning on destroying Thrawn or did he actuall take a part in it? cuz I thought Leia was the one responsible when she turned the Noghri against Thrawn."

Palpatine made sure that one of the droids on noghri homeworld acted suspiciosly so that the noghri found that thrawn was being not entirely honorable to them.

"I think that it also makes sense for Palpatine to plan/take part (Valiento should confirm whether he was just planning it or if he acutually took part in it) because he might of found out about Thrawn not being as loyal to the empire as Thrawn acted like."

It wasn't a direct attack on thrawn but it was enough to make the noghri not trust thrawn anymore.

Remember dev before you blame veitch remember that the DE sourcebook wasn't written by him. It was written by Michael Allen Horn.

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I just think it's not right to ignore EU on whim

Why not? Lucas does.

Palpatine made sure that one of the droids on noghri homeworld acted suspiciosly so that the noghri found that thrawn was being not entirely honorable to them.

It's been a while since I read Last Command, but this does not seem familiar at all. Could you remind me?

Also, getting back to ROJ and DE. Yes,I think the redemption of Anakin is a more important and previlant theme than the emperor's deminish, but Palp/Sidius, was the main baddy in the entire series. We see his first thrust for power in TPM, and his death in ROJ. I think showing his death is an important part of the climax of the SW film.

Also, here's the thing that above all else, made DE an insult to the classics: Luke's turning to the dark side. WHAT THE ****???? Sooo, his whole struggle against tempation, his struggle to not make the mistakes of his father, all that, they just flushed that. Worse, Luke wasn't even tempted by the dark side, turning just seemed to be a "good idea." Oh, yeah, I know, it was so he could kill Palp. So what? Vader conspired against Palp in ESB, that didn't make him a nice man.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Also, here's the thing that above all else, made DE an insult to the classics: Luke's turning to the dark side.<<

I'd be willing to wager that idea may have been Lucas's, the whole "destroying the dark side from the inside" idea was also present and played a key role in Tales of the Jedi, which was based on Lucas's original backstory for the Sith (and later evolved to become more "recent" to the timeframe of episode 1), so it's very possible that concept was from Lucas. Also, Luke tasted the dark side briefly at the end of ROTJ, and probably would have fallen further to the dark side if Palpatine hadn't started cackling like an idiot. So, if he truely had convinced himself the only way to defeat palpatine this time would be from the inside, I find it rather believable that he would allow himself to embrace the dark side for a short period of time.

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Why not? Lucas does.

But if you follow one part, you must agree with all, as it is all one big continuality

8. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    There is probably a big chance that it will be about the Lost Jedi and Count Dooku or just about Count Dooku (Darth Maul got his own book)

9. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "It's been a while since I read Last Command, but this does not seem familiar at all. Could you remind me? "

A droid on Honorghr acts suspiciously.Leia tells the noghri to capture it.The Noghri and the NR find poison inside the droid.Apparently the empire's droids had been poisoning the land.Thrawn had betrayed them.Rukh,Thrawn's bodyguard assassinates Thrawn for betraying hos people.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Oh, and for your information Luke crossed the thin line into using the darkside in ROTJ, when he put all his anger into defeating his father. The ROTJ novelization makes this abundantly clear.

One knows once you go down that dark path forever will it dominate your destiny. Dark Empire was just showing the natural direction of how it dominated his destiny.

11. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Valiento,

Not to say your wrong.. but if we followed the novelizations of the movies, we wouldn't have some Rogue Squadron pilots... and Anakin would have told Padme they were going to get married... Come on. :D

12. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    I would try to consider the novelizations valid except where they directly contradict something else.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually the rogue squadron thing, about hobbie crashing his speeder is linked into the EU, with the hobbie jokes about bacta boy.

The scene also occurs in the ESB radio drama as I remember. Though the scene is moved just slightly after the power generator explodes.

As well the novels are considered to be part of the star wars continuity, as evidence from the Official sites databanks refrencing them whenever possible.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, so they did fix the Hobbie-Death thing then huh? Cool, that always bothered me...I always wanted to see the cut scene from ESB with that, and when I saw Hobbie in the rogue books and comics, I thought they were ignoring that.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The thing that would concern me about Zahn writing prequel-era EU would be the possibility of him attempting to re-make the eras EU in his own image, a la VotF. How about if it was one of Zahn's characters who:

*Did the mind-whammy on Quinlon Vos to erase his memory?

*Supplied the Yinchorri with cortosis-ore armor (another Zahn invention, IIRC) and persuades them to attack the Jedi?

*Convinces the Thyferrans to fake a bacta shortage, leading to the Stark Hyperspace Conflict?

*Taught Sidious everything he knows about the dark side of the Force?

About "de-powering" the Jedi, where in TPM do you see them doing wacky banthashavit like fly the Millenium Falcon & fire all its guns using TK, or making a soft-landing reentry using the Force? In TPM, you instead see Jedi actually "listening to the will of the Force." So in that respect, I agree with Zahn's "less overt use of the Force" theory, something began in the BFC....I just really dislike how he did it!! :mad: I mean, imagine for example, Obi-Wan Kenobi lecturing Qui-Gon Jinn on how to use the Force!! Actually, in one of the comics (Last Stand on Ord Mantell), Obi-Wan tried to do that very thing, and Qui-Gon's response was a dry & witty "shut the hell up!" It would've worked FAR better if Luke had an epiphany on his own, a result of listening to the will of the Force for wisdom, but NOOOOOO!!! He had to hear it in (yet another) lecture by Princess Jade... :mad:

Basically, I'd like stuff more in the lines of the Thrawn Trilogy, w/o his characters "outdoing" the movie characters, and without the revisionism typical of the duology.

Regards,
    Kurt
    who admits he's part of the "fringe element" that likes the BFC

16. Duke_Starhopper

Duke_Starhopper Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2000
    I'm putting my money that the book will revolve around the Outbound Project, for a few reasons - 1) Jorus C'Boath was placed in Cloak of Deception. 2) The Vuzzhan Vong come from "outside the galaxy," and Del Rey added them to Rogue Planet. It seems logical that his story will revolve around those themes. Perhaps he was mistaken about when it would take place. Just my 2¢.

17. XDark_JediX

XDark_JediX Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2001
    Sorry to change the subject but now is a good time to find out the answer to something that I've been wondering.

Why do so many people dislike Zahn?

I don't want answers like, "Because he is a poopy head." The whole reason I started reading the EU is because I liked the Thrawn trilogy so much.

I felt (at the time) Grand Admiral Thrawn was a perfect villian and represented a plausible threat to the Republic.

I liked the idea that a new Super Weapon wasn't introduced. I don't classify the Katana Fleet as a Super Weapon, just a bunch of weapons.

I really like the cleaverness behind some of the attacks by Thrawn. i.e. Using cloaked ships to fire "through" a planetary shield. That is a lot cooler than having a turbolaser "designed" that would just blast through it.

Luke and Mara getting together is a matter of personal opinion. I don't have a problem with them ending up together. There were several years between the Duology and the Trilogy and Luke had other romantic interests. I just didn't like the fact there was no build up to their relationship. I also have problems with Mara lecturing Luke but that is the way life is. There is a big difference between the relationship of Luke/Mara and Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan didn't have a thing for Qui-Gon and vice versa.

18. Ender_Teh_Xenocide

Ender_Teh_Xenocide Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2001
    You all seem to be missing the part that said "Hundreds of years before TPM". My guess is that it will have something t do with the history of the Sith and smoothing out the continuity. Frankly, DH and del ray haven't been doing that great a job of that so far. No matter what you think of KJA, you have to admit he completely screwed up the history of the sith.

And as an aside, some of you have egos the size of the sears tower. This discussion really toes the borderline between civil and insults.

"I'm, not using it to disprove the quality of zahn's works. Just to show that thrawn Mcewok's oppinions are false. "
    How can an opinion be proven wrong?

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>No matter what you think of KJA, you have to admit he completely screwed up the history of the sith.<<

How is that? My understanding is that Lucas supplied the general backstory to him and Veitch, just by time TPM came around, Lucas decided to alter his original ideas.

And even so, I don't think there's any problems between the TOTJ sith history and TPM's sith histiry...they are seperated by several millenia.

20. Flask

Flask Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 22, 2000
    Well, Michael Stackpole has written over a dozen Star Wars novels with seemingly another boat-load on the way; Kevin J. Anderson wrote a whole Star Wars series.

It makes perfect sense that Zahn should be allowed to write some more. He is a little behind as it is.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Well, Michael Stackpole has written over a dozen Star Wars novels with seemingly another boat-load on the way; Kevin J. Anderson wrote a whole Star Wars series.

It makes perfect sense that Zahn should be allowed to write some more. He is a little behind as it is. <<

The only thing he's behind, from what I can see, is in regards to the comics where KJA and MAS have a lead. Although KJA did co-author the YJK, but as far as solo-authoring goes...

Zahn-

-Heir to the Empire
    -Dark Force Rising
    -The Last Command
    -Spectre of the Past
    -Vision of the Future
    +Mini-novel and a couple short stories in the various anthology books.

KJA-

-Jedi Search
    -Dark Apprentice
    -Champions of the Force
    -Darksaber
    +Misc short stories in various anthology books & Illustrated Guide to SW Universe.

(co authored: YJK series and Essential Chronology)

(if one counts comics, then the Tales of the Jedi Series and Jedi Academy-Leviathan is added)

MAS-

-Rogue Squadron
    -Wedge's Gamble
    -The Krytos Trap
    -The Bacta War
    -Isard's Revenge
    -Onslaught
    -Ruin
    + misc short stories in various anthology books.

(comics-wise there is the X-Wing comics and Union series)

However, strickly novel speaking, Zahn is pretty on par...surpassing KJA by 1 and trailing MAS by 1.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    2nd quest, when official sources calls KJA the chancellor of star wars they count all of KJA books, and give him something like a total of somewhere around 50-56(ayone remember exact number?) books.

They seem to count every book, comic, short story, that he is either written, edited, co-wrote for, to count towards his total score of books.

23. hartstev

hartstev Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2001
    Here is my 2 cents on why I think it would be great to see Zahn write another novel and why what he did in VOTF was such a great idea. I will state it right out, DE was an interesting story, but as far as fitting it into the rest of the Star Wars Universe, IMHO it was stupid. First let me say this. Lucas has said the only fact in the Star Wars Universe is the movies, everything else is fiction. If people start looking for holes in the continuity while reading the fiction, well they are opening a very large can of worms. So when Zahn says that the Emperor in DE is a clone, I like how that fits into the story and that is how I choose to view the Star Wars Universe. Here is why.

By the time of his death in ROTJ the Emperor is a lame, stupid, feable, old idiot who deserves to die. If this man is still all-powerful tell me why he consistently underestimates his enemies (Luke, Anakin, the Rebellion) and overestimates his allies (Vader, Imperial Forces, the Dark Side)? Face facts, even if Anakin doesn't toss the idiot down the shaft, he still dies in ROTJ. Lando still would have made the shot to destroy the Death Star. And let's look past that event, why did Lando get the chance to shoot? Because the generator was destroyed by the Rebels. Of course they would never had the chance if it weren't for the ewoks! So in a nutshell the Emperor was killed by ewoks. That is pathetic, just as he was.

I refuse to accept that Palpatine, who was such an idiot as to get killed by ewoks, had the power to transfer his soul to another body. So the mad close theory works great for me. Besides The original Palpatine qouldn't surround himself with so many Dark Side users, he would be tempting fate. Remember, there are only two Sith for a good reason. An insane clone however, might do something like that.

24. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, Im sorry that you refuse to accept it, but it did happen. I dont like it, but it happened. Sorry... :p

25. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Palpatine didnt get killed by Ewoks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.