main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RUMOUR: Tim Zahn Writing A New Star Wars Book?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Hmmm - perhaps this rumour has panned out into the Star Wars Gamer short story that Tim is writing???

2. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Thats possible. Or lets take this one step further, perhaps this short story is the signal that all of the "faithfull" have been waiting for. The sign that TZ is returning to the Star Wars universe. This may only be the begining. ( ;) )

3. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I hope he writes an NJO book. The PT ones have all sucked.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Thats possible. Or lets take this one step further, perhaps this short story is the signal that all of the "faithfull" have been waiting for. The sign that TZ is returning to the Star Wars universe. This may only be the begining

...of the end! :)

5. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Well, the title of the story's Handoff, implying that it takes place while she's the Emperor's Hand (seeing as how Zahn like the clever titles incorporating the words Jade or Hand), so it's doubtfull it's a direct reference to either NJO or Prequel-era book. Plus the fact that he's apparently at odds with Del Rey leads me to guess he won't be writing a novel.

I'm still waiting for his short story Master-Bait:
    I am Mara Jade, the Emperor's Hand. And everyone knows what solitary old men do with their hands... and what egotistical authors do with their beloved characters...

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
  7. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    no, she makes Luke remove his fake hand before they get it on.

8. LanceJade

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, I have a feeling that Handoff is going to be more about Mara being turned over to the Emperor as a child instead of an Emperor's Hand story. Just a gut feeling.

9. GrandAdmPellaeon

GrandAdmPellaeon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    Though I'm probably grasping at straws here...

Wouldn't it be cool if Handoff was actually a story about Thrawn setting up Baron Fel and Admiral Whoever on that little known planet that Luke and Mara find in SotP? After all, the ship that buzzed the Errant Venture was looking for the "Hand of Thrawn". The story could be about the "coming darkness" they were preparing for.

Then we'd know for sure if it was the Vong Thrawn was getting ready for, or something else...

10. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    LanceJade... I hope you are right! :)

11. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    "You can't ignore EU like a whim.... Why notLucas does..."

Well this has been confirmed by TOS so I dont think it is considered SPOILER info anymore but I will put the warning anyway...
    EPISODE II SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Actually George Lucas is fully accepting EU info, Aayla Secura is confirmed in the movie as are holocrons. Sith and Jedi holocrons looking axactly how they are depicted in EU...

End of SPOILERS!!!

Also believe it or not Coruscant was not GL's idea.. I mean I am sure there was always the idea of a capital but check the Official Sites databank on Coruscant in Behind The Scenes and it says the name Coruscant actually was invented by Zahn in TTT and Lucas adopted it for Special Edition Jedi and Episode I...

As for a new book?

Well I am a fan of Zahn's.. great stuff, was a great idea at the time, just been taken a bit too far by EU. NJO definitly was a good new idea....

Zahn in the prequel era. Well I heard somewhere, was it Dan Wallace or someone else.. cant remember.. anyway I heard that they think Thrawn met the Vong in a time around Vergere's dissapearence. Then started trying to unify the galaxy to make sure it was ready for the invasion. That is why he tried to topple the NR, not coz he was evil, but coz he didnt think the NR could stand against the Vong... which we have discovered he was right... anyway, what I would like in a prequel era by Zahn would be tie in Veregere, Vong, Outbound Flight Project(which was supposed to be about search outside the known galaxy) and a few others togethor. Joruus C'boath could be brought in although hopefully just as a side characters, not main. Jade's parents would be fun. Maybe the main characters could be them. A rebel character (rebel CHARACTER, not literally rebel as in rebel alliance) as the father and a female Jedi padawan as the mother. Perhaps being after Episode II's production date we could have some forbidden love continuity errors fixed.

Hmm I have just read all the pages of this thread and I LOVE to speculate storylines and this idea just hit me... of course it is very unlikely to happen and it wouldnt fit in Pre-TPM era but it is a fun idea....

The Jedi Council have sent the Outbound Project off. At the same time, a female red-haired Padawan is taking her trials. The padawan's Master happens to be someone we know off quite well, cant think of someone yet.. anyway... the trial goes well and the Council deem her Jedi Knight, however an intruiging mystery left unanswered during her mission leads her to ask to follow into it. The Council agree to it. She heads off. the mystery involves Jorj Cardars (sp?) She goes covert and joins Cardars' crew. There she meets _______ Jade. The rebel/scoundrel/rogue feels attracted to her, and becomes her friend (a young crew member called Karrde can be mentioned in the background) Following leads, the female Jedi discovers a threat against the Outbound Project. She heads off as Jade follows her. She starts to feel attracted to Jade as well, something she troubles over due to the forbidden love issue. She and Jade who is now informed on who she really is reaches the edges of the Unknown Regions where they witness the slaughter of the Outbound Project, they are then captured and thrown before Thrawn. Thrawn takes his fleet and captives to the edge of the galaxy where a surprised Thrawn watches a seemingly organic scout squadron arrive. In a few shots Thrawn finds half his fleet disabled. including the ship his captives are on. The aliens from another galaxy contact Thrawn and question him. The genius notices their interesting tatoos and mutilations. Intrigued by their "art"he reads there culture quickly and figures to play upon their beliefs in Gods. He knows one of his captives the aliens now have is a Jedi. He decides to use this. The aliens take the female Jedi and fascinated with her throw her in a cell with a creature she recognises. Vergere. Vergere tries to tell a story but is interrupted by the aliens ap

12. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I'd be careful about taking this as a sign of any drastic change. Zahn has always said that he'd still be willing to write short stories, as is seen in this chat transcript.

<JeffP> will you be working on any other Star Wars projects? Specifically any Del Rey novels?
    <TimZahn> Please, everyone, don't try to message me. I'm going to have enough trouble keeping up with the main chat.
    <TimZahn> At this point Del Rey hasn't asked me to do any SW books, so the current answer is no. However, we all know that these things can change.
    <TimZahn> If the SW Adventure Journel revives, either from WEG or otherwise, I'll want to do stories for it, too.

13. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Thrawn met the Vong in a time around Vergere's dissapearence. Then started trying to unify the galaxy to make sure it was ready for the invasion. That is why he tried to topple the NR, not coz he was evil, but coz he didnt think the NR could stand against the Vong... which we have discovered he was right...

This is extremely flawed. First, there's absolutely no evidence to indicate Thrawn knew about the Vong. Also, he didn't try to "topple the NR." He never even acknowledged the NR. He always referred to it as the Rebellion, and saw to it that his officers did same. He wasn't out to topple a new government. He saw himself as the leader of the rightful government, out to solve the only puzzle worth solving...the complete and utter destruction of the Rebellion.

14. LanceJade

Mar 26, 2001
    Well a little off topic... but

NEWS FLASH!!!

According to Locus Magazine: The Newspaper of the Science Fiction Field, Timothy Zahn is scheduled to publish another Science Fiction book soon.

Manta's Gift is set to be published by TOR in September of 2002.

Beyond the title, nothing much is known. Yet having followed TZ's writing career, he is not known for the habit of writing 2 books at once.

With this new information, I feel that we can believe that TZ is not writing a new Star Wars book.

(of course, this doesn't rule out a book for future release, say 2003 or 2004) :D

Still, its good to see that TZ has another one coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.