main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumoured Wotc Layoffs occuring

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Teknobabel, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    A number of gaming sites have reported this, namely Enworld.org and GamingReport

It went up on tuesday the 12th this week

An "anonymous" Wotc employee sned this report to gamingreport

Layoffs have started again at Wizards of the Coast. When all said and done there will be 100 people total laid off, and around 60 fired at the corporate office in Renton alone. The big day is Thursday. The Managers had a meeting this afternoon to discuss the procedures. It will affect every department of the company, and some departments getting hacked (no pun intended) pretty bad.

Don't blame it all on Hasbro, as it is WotC's fault. Going from (near) a Billion dollar company to a less than a quarter of that forcasted, it was only a matter of time.

I'm going to love working here next week. At least it will be quiet.

Anyone else heard any info about this, perhaps Michael has some more info about it?

This is a rumour, so don't flame me to death for it, just asking if anyone else has heard about it?

2. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Clearly they discovered those who were responsible for WCW Nitro.

3. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
  4. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    Well now...this makes the SWTCG look like it's either gonna make or break WOTC.

5. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    I wonder if any of this has to do with Lord of the Rings being the #1 selling CCG and Decipher being the #1 CCG manufacturer. You can read about that on Game Players Network (www.gameplayersnetwork.com). It's the first time in CCG history that a company other than WotC was the #1 manufacturer of CCGs, and the second time Magic was supplanted as the #1 game. And given that the other time it was Pokemon that beat it, it's the first time a non-WotC game has been #1.

6. Kenix Kil

Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2000
    I hate to disagree with you but the layoffs have nothing to do with LOTR being the #1 card game. Many of Wizards games, such as Pokemon and WCW Nitro, are dead and they are clearing house. Also as long as Magic is still being produced nothing else will make or break Wizards.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, as a result of these layoffs, SW Gamer magazine might be cancelled after issue #10, which sucks since it had some great short stories in there.

8. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    I don't think LotR beating WotC had anything to do with the lay offs. I have to agree with Kenix Kil on this one. There is simply unneeded jobs at WotC.

9. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    On second thought..
    nah. It was the WCW Nitro game

Shocking [shakes head]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.