main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Running on Repeat: What books have you reread?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, May 22, 2015.

?

Have you reread any Star Wars books?

1. No. Don't got time for that.

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  2. Yes, once.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, a few times.

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Yes, many times.

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  5. I've reread them all! ...or mostly.

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. I read 'em front, I read 'em back, I read 'em inside-out, then I read 'em front and back again.

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I know some of you have said you've reread the books before. I know some of you write review websites and blogs so you've reread some books several times. I know some of you work for Wookieepedia so you've reread the books more times than a sane being ever should. And I know some of you are actually Lucasfilm bots cleverly disguised as forum-goers that can quote any obscure passage on a moment's notice (coughIron_Lordcough). The latter don't get to play this game.

I want to know what books have been reread the most.

It has to be the entire, or near-entire, book. So if you got to the very end of Ruins of Dantooine the second time and couldn't finish it because warudammit we all knew it was Finn, that's fine. You can count that. But if you reread that one scene in Shadow Hunter 50,000 times where Nute Gunray's flaunting naked in his mildew bath, that doesn't count because it's like, one scene. I want all or most of a book. And I don't need to know about your Neimoidian fetish.

OK so tell me what you've been rereading so I can see who has the most time to waste. The winner gets this Borders Books $20 gift card I happened to find underneath my refrigerator yesterday.

Oh and before somebody asks, yeah, comics count too. I guess. Maybe. If there's a comic that's like, one page, maybe that doesn't count. But for my purposes I want to know about comics too. Not video games though.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    traitor

edit: visual evidence
    [​IMG]

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I reread ROTS and AOTC a couple of times.

I've probably listened to the Darth Plagueis audiobook at least 20 times. Listened to the Bane Trilogy several times.

4. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Hand of Thrawn duology.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just re-read the paragraph about Nute Gunray's bath and I think I'll be skipping Shadow Hunter. [face_sick]

And LOL, the last option is the Iron_lord option I guess?

Oh...AHEM...yeah, the question.

I've re-read all the film novelizations plus Labyrinth of Evil and Vector Prime.

I think that's it. I came into the EU too recently to have time for many re-reads; I'm still getting through a lot of novels for a first go-round.

Will re-read: Traitor and A New Dawn. Because they are Traitor and A New Dawn.

6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I have a horrible memory, so I reread a lot of books. It's almost like reading it for the first time all over again. ;) Honestly, I read SW books at night to de-stress, so I've ended up rereading almost all of them at least once.

Right now, I'm rereading Shatterpoint and Jude Watson's Jedi Quest series.

The ones I've probably read the most times are the Medstar duology and Scourge.

7. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I'm with anakinfansince1983 , having come to the table too early to bother rereading novels, since there're still SO many out there I haven't read.

I do re-read Dark Empire and Republic fairly regularly.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Re-read RotS a lot of times.
    Also Republic and the BFC trilogy a bunch.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've read almost every book twice, the second time being part of a chronological read-through of the EU. I've read ROTS a few more than that as well. Oh and I guess back circa 2002 I read the little Mighty Chronicles version of AOTC over and over again for some reason. [face_whistling]

Comics, god, I think I've read Chewbacca about a dozen times. Okay, maybe half a dozen (I can't handle all the feels). Some Dark Times arcs I've read multiple times, especially Blue Harvest. I've read that old Darth Maul comic with Jan Duursema's art a bunch of times, as well as Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison. I've probably read some Legacy and KOTOR arcs more than once.

I think comics in general are just easier to re-read, since you can almost breeze right through a 4 or 5-part series.

Revanfan1 and my kind of scum like this.
  10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Borders still exists?

Excluding several books I bought I haven't got around to reading yet or only recently read for the first time, I have read virtually all of the Star Wars books I have a least twice. I have read all of the film novelizations, especially RotS, several times. I have also read most of Zahn's books, the X-wing series and I, Jedi, the BFC, SotE, LoE, Dark Lord, the RC series excluding IC: 501st, and Tales from the New Republic at least twice. The most read books I have are probably RotS, LoE, Dark Lord, and Tales from the New Republic, if only because I haven't owned most of Zahn's books and the X-wing series for very long.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

I've read the entire Bantam run and the NJO several times. I suppose you could say that's where most of my focus lies, it being the backbone of my experience from the 90s. Del Rey published New Republic era novels included, as well as the "- Empire" comics in both Dark and Crimson varieties.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    :D

I know I've reread every SW novel I have at least once. Often more than once.

At the moment I'm going through a reread of the NJO-Legacy era.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I had to get new copies of the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy from Amazon. Originals were falling apart.

Lando Swarm likes this.
  14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I've read Darth Plaguies 3 times, but none of the others. Yet. ;)

15. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I got into the 181st and eventually took it over to remind myself to reread the books, and in some cases to force myself (sometimes seemed to me like most of the good ones had already been done once I came to the 181st - it's a wonder I stuck with after having to start it off with Jedi Trial and Planet of Twilight). Oh, and there was the KOTOR marathon we did before that. I'd separate this from books that I actually, genuinely reread for the fun of it. I did include some books in the 181st for the fun of it, but others (like the X-Wing series) were always off-limits there.

The few books I actually went back to on my own terms include the Thrawn trilogy (obviously) Traitor, Dark Journey, the JAT and Crystal Star; the latter two obviously to check if they were really that bad (JAT in direct reaction to Sacrifice making me stop read the EU, and going back to see if the stuff that everyone trashes really was that bad in comparison). On the same note, I think I read Traitor half a year after Sacrifice, especially to reaffirm my belief that LOTF's premise was faulty (there was a lot of "but Vergere really talked Sith stuff" talk going on back then); and Dark Journey later on, probably shortly after I read reports about Invincible and I wanted to get a better picture of what could have been. In addition, I used to go through the comics way more often when they all still stood single file on a shelf; these days, with a box filled with all those single issues in ongoing series, I rarely have them on my mind, sadly. I get out a TPB from time to time, though. Tag & Bink being the obvious favourite. Oh, and I just reread the TFU comic a few days ago to prepare myself for TFU2.

Basically, as time goes by, I notice that there's just so much else I'd love to read so that there's always new stuff instead of really going back to the things on my shelf (really makes you consider whether you have to buy all the books by that one author or just tell youself to lend it someday); and these last few years, I've read less and less so there's even less time for rereads when I still have to go through a few new books that piled up but never went away. As mentioned above, I'd really love to read the X-Wing books again but never get around to it. It doesn't help that some of the clunkers we had in the 181st demotivated me for weeks on end, but hey, that just one of the things I do for the 181st. ;)

I don't think an LFL bot would like all my posts when all I do is trash 99.9% of LFL's post-2005 literature output. I mean, I even trashed Plagueis.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Being more of a comic book person, I've reread Dark Times like...well I've lost count :p Also KOTOR, Legacy Volume I, Ghost Prison and Republic. Actually, it's been a while since I've last (re)read Republic, so maybe it's time to check that series out again before Dark Disciple comes out.

my kind of scum likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Left out Tatooine Ghost. I re-read that one as part of a 181st discussion.

18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've reread the Thrawn trilogy, Jedi Academy trilogy, Courtship of Princess Leia, Darksaber and Cloak of Deception many times.

PCCViking likes this.
  19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Kenobi.

Seriously one of my favorite star wars books ever.

I know this doesn't count, but I've also listened to audio books of Kenobi, Labyrinth of Evil and Darth Plagueis multiple times.

EDIT: Forgot about comics. I've re-read Republic, Jango Fett Open Season, Darth Maul (2000), Empire: Betrayal, and Omnibus: Boba Fett though I'm sure there are others.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read the stuff from the 70's, 80's, 90's and most of the 2000's. Later 2000's and into 2010's? Probably only once.
    I really need to do a read through again. Last one was 2007-08.

22. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Kenobi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Darth Plagueis
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett (IT COUNTS)

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would pretty much be the last you see of them. Maybe one more appearance but nothing like that. Maul and the people he are chasing take up most of the book.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah also Vector Prime was for some reason on this list of books we could read for this English program in high school. Literally everyone hated the program because you had to answer 10 random, often difficult questions on whatever book you read.

Easiest 100% I have ever gotten on an actual school quiz. :p

25. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I re-read a lot of Star Wars books when I was younger. Generally, I try not to re-read books anymore because I prefer to spend time reading new things.

The entire NJO.
    Traitor
    Tatooine Ghost
    Luke Skywalker and The Shadows Of Mindor
    Shatterpoint
    The Thrawn Trilogy
    The Original Star Wars Trilogy (IV-VI)
    The Prequel Trilogy (I-III)
    Revenge Of The Sith
    Cloak Of Deception
    Rogue Planet
    Outbound Flight