main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Running on Repeat: What books have you reread?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, May 22, 2015.

?

Have you reread any Star Wars books?

1. No. Don't got time for that.

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  2. Yes, once.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, a few times.

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Yes, many times.

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  5. I've reread them all! ...or mostly.

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. I read 'em front, I read 'em back, I read 'em inside-out, then I read 'em front and back again.

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "An inch (of standard book size thickness) an hour" is my speed when it's something I'm very familiar with.

Usually it's more like an inch every 2 hours though.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Depends what you mean by "reread," because a lot of the time especially with the books I own, I'll simply reread parts of them but not the whole thing.

Back when I owned the Wraith Squadron trilogy, though, I definitely reread that one at least once a year. I do the same now with "Mercy Kill." That stuff is amazing.

The other thing is that there are books I deliberately try not to reread all the time, because I like them so much. I'm the same way with the movie trilogy (OT) itself, for that matter. It's something I save for special occasions, or for when I haven't read them in a long enough time that I'm starting to miss them ("long enough time" here measured in years, not months). The Han Solo Trilogy and Stackpole's original run of X-wing books both fall under that (rereading them last year for the 181st was the first time I'd touched the HST in ages).

3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i have read most of them any times, especially the NJO series

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I find it much easier to list which books I haven't reread.

5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I just recently finished a re-read of Truce at Bakura, as I begin a combo read/re-read of the post ROTJ era. I think it's the first Star Wars re-read I ever did. In the past, I read the initial run of Bantam books as they were coming out, with the exception of the X-Wing Books, up until, I think, The New Rebellion. And I read the first of the Young Jedi Knights books. And I also read the first few issues of X-Wing: Rogue Squadron, and the Dark Empire Trilogy.

Now, with Omnibus and Epic Collections in hand comics wise, I'm going forward chronologically (even playing through the games for the first time - just started messing with Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight! - thanks Steam!), planning to re-read most of the post-rotj stuff I had read as a kid, the famous and the infamous, and hopefully eventually push through to the 'new to me' future stuff, like the Hand of Thrawn duology, and eventually, maybe, some far off day, finally make it up to the NJO. But what's exciting is that leading up to that, I get to read the X-Wing books for the first time.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    And to be honest, even though I read Crystal Star when it first was released in HC ... I have no recollection at all about anything concerning Waru, except remembering that a Waru was in the book.

There. I've said it.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You need to fix that.

Taalcon likes this.
  8. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    I've reread RotS and the Thrawn Trilogy dozens of times. My copy of "The Last Command" is actually falling apart, and the back cover is missing. Aside from those two, I've reread most of the Bantam era 3 or 4 times apiece, aside from the Calista trilogy, which I refuse to touch again.

9. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Only books I remember re-reading is the Thrawn trilogy. I've also read some of the Republic comics multiple times.

10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I think I've reread almost all of my SW stuff, but special mention definitely has to go to Shatterpoint, Republic Commando, Traitor, Republic/Dark Times, and Legacy.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    My reasons for rereading have changed over the years. I've mentioned before I was a de facto only child largely raised by my single mother until I was fourteen. I read and reread the books to keep myself occupied in lieu of siblings. Sissie came into existence on Harry Potter Day 2003 so those reasons lasted until around to the end of New Jedi Order, my freshman year in high school. Now, my editing/aspiring hack writer side of my brain will not turn off. The books I really enjoyed I have annotated through paperback copies, underling lines I liked, examining how the writer constructed the novel, and so forth. This is the basis for my contention that the EU novels I tend to prefer are better in all aspects: the arrangement of the scenes, the point-of-views, and the rest of the crap you learned in literature classes (conversely, this is why I tend to, when my laziness subsides, vomit on the novels I dislike). So yeah, hooray for too much time on my hands. [face_dunno]

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  12. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    I've re-read multiple sections of Inferno, Darth Plagueis, Deceived, and some of the Bane trilogy. Not from font to back but mainly to relisten to moments (on audiobook) or to find or locate an accomplishment/feat from a force user.

13. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I make sure I read Path of Destruction at least once a year. Absolutely love that novel!

14. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    As the years go by, I have oftentimes been so dead-set on rereading and revisiting stories, that I have missed out on some major things that I wanted to delve into. The last 15+ years of EU has barely been touched for me, either because of my long break from Star Wars, or because I have been intent on rereading older books.

Since last year, I thought it would be fun in 2015 if I reread everything that I did back in 1995, 20 years earlier. Some stories are being experienced for the first time in 20 years; others I have revisited once or twice since then. I am currently on my third read of the Han Solo Adventures, and just recently revisited the Classic Trilogy novelizations, The Thrawn Trilogy, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Through the year I will be delving into a lot more of the 90s novels and comics (The Corellian Trilogy, The Jedi Academy Trilogy, The Crystal Star, Dark Empire), and have even recently been playing X-wing, TIE Fighter, Dark Forces, and Rebel Assault for the first time in 15-20 years. The rush of memories to my teenage years is really fun. It's really cool to have a larger vocabulary and more general life experience in revisiting these games and stories.

Into next year, I will be revisiting everything from 1996 etc. All the while, I have been doing a fairly good job of keeping up with newer stories (I've been buying all the latest issues of Star Wars and Princess Leia), while finally delving into many other things that passed me by during the Prequel Era, like the Battlefront games, D20 RPG books, The Clone Wars etc.) I've even been watching the whole Droids cartoon for the first time (previously I had just seen the few collected episodes on DVD.)

15. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I suppose I've technically re-read the Thrawn trilogy, but that's just because my dad read them to me when I was about 5 or 6, and then I barely remembered them when I got into the EU as a teenager. (Am I making you feel old, Lit? I am young enough for the Thrawn trilogy to have been a bedtime story :p ).

That's really about it. I'm not big on re-reading... it's a process I reserve for childhood favorites (Narnia, Harry Potter, A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels). The Star Wars films are certainly in that category, but the EU is not.

Commander Wolffe likes this.
  16. LordDlow

LordDlow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Darth Plaguies hands down best Star Wars book!! Read it 4 times so far!! Will do so again in the future!
    Dark Empire I've read the most honestly but that was my first step into the EU, long time ago!
    Thrawn trilogy (of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk