main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Runtime for VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tatooine Twilight Twins, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Run times for the existing movies at a glance (source IMDB):
    The IMAX version of AOTC is noticeably shorter than the regular version, so Dewback you may be on to something.:)

"Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace" Runtime: 136 min
    "Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones" Runtime: 142 min | USA:120 min (IMAX Version)
    "Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith" Runtime: 140 min
    "Star Wars IV: A New Hope" Runtime: 121 min | 125 min (special edition)
    "Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back" Runtime: 124 min | USA:127 min (special edition)
    "Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi" Runtime: 134 min | 135 min (special edition)

Revanfan1 and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  2. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    If I'm not mistaken, IMAX projectors can only hold two hours of film. With AOTC, the entire movie was converted to IMAX, which is why it was cut down to 120 minutes. When most films are shown in an IMAX theater, only selected portions of the film are shown using the IMAX film and projector. The rest of the film is projected normally, allowing the movie to be played in its entirety.

CairnsTony likes this.
  3. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    As much as I'de love a longer movie, I don't see it being any longer than 2 hours & 15 minutes. It'll be about as long as the rest of them.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    JJ's 2 trek films are just over 2 hrs. I see 2:10 to 2:30 at the longest.

We don't know if they are going to use the LOTR EE tricks.

I think the podrace was just the right length. The attack on the Deathstar was longer and didn't need to be but that is mere seconds in comparison to many other films that extend things out a long time.

The droid factory sequence in really quite short. Now I for one like the sequence as it is but I think it's valid to ask was it even needed there in the second place as it was a late addition over having a straight "Your caught!" and then as per the deleted scenes a bogus trial.

If anything in comparison to JJ and PJ and other film-makers GL always is one to go to the shorter side of action. III was about 2:15 minus end titles but he easily could have made it 3 hours with his original cut of the open which was at least twice the 22 minutes and then the battles on Utapau, Kashyyk, the fall of the Jedi and Mustafar.

As he said on the commentaries though that isn't the core story and it's so easy to keep these things going and going which I find does happen quite often.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  5. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    At least 2 hours and I'm good.

Jurassic Parks 1 and 2 were around 2 hours, but the 3rd one was only about 90 minutes, and felt like a TV movie as a result (notwithstanding the awful script, acting etc).

My point is it should at least fall in line with the other entries in the series.

6. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Back then it was because IMAX theatres had 70mm film projectors and that had those limitations, nowadays most of them have digital projectors, so that limitations are gone, they even shown Avatar director's cut that has 190 minutes. That shoudldn't be a problem when EPVII comes out. Interstellar will be the last film released on IMAX in 70mm film prints.

7. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    My guess is Episode VII will be between 130-140 minutes.

Acroyear and VMeran like this.
  8. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Traditional? No Star Wars live action film has been shorter than 2 hours.

9. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    To clairfy :
    -i would prefer the traditional 1.5 to 1.75 hrs of a lot of films use (assumption on my part- and not saying that star wars traditionally does that.)

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't care, as long as it's 2 hours...not counting credits, mind you.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Put the line at 2:15 (with credits). Take the under. Can't see it cracking 2:30. I think Disney wants this to play as much as possible for max profit so they'll want the flick to come out lean. Both of JJ's Trek movies were just above 2 hours. This won't be the longest Star Wars movie ever.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Two and a half at the most is what I expect. I wouldn't mind a three-hour movie but I don't see it happening. If I have the attention span to sit through Gladiator and Lord of the Rings, then I could most certainly have the attention span to see a SW movie that long. I just don't expect it. So basically, as long as the movie isn't under two hours, I'll be happy. Matter of fact, I believe Thor 2 was under two hours and I was left wanting more.

VMeran likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is not for the proper Episodes but I think a 90 minute Star Wars movie, maybe a spin-off, that was even more action driven would be a blast. Short is not bad! Just not for an Episode, that is.

VMeran and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Before Episode III came out everyone thought it would HAVE to be 2 1/2 hours or even 3 hours in order for Lucas to "fully wrap up everything." It ended up sticking to about the same time as all the other movies. Episode VII will do the same.

VMeran likes this.
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    133.6 min = the average run time of the previous 6 Star Wars movies ..................

16. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Either 120 min or 140 min

17. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    I read that too. I think the movies will be 130-140 minutes in length, which isn't terribly long BY TODAY'S STANDARDS and about the same length of the previous Star Wars movies. I'd seriously doubt anything over 150 minutes. We'll see.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  18. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    And there was a report sometime ago about the movie being scaled back- in that it wouldn't have the lightsaber battles on the same scale as the prequels.

19. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Am all in for a long running time of Ep VII as long as Michael Bay isn't the director.

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i want to watch them sleeping

21. Tauntauns Smell Bad

Tauntauns Smell Bad Jedi Padawan

Jul 4, 2014
    This would be epic but I think it will hover around the 2 hour 15 minute mark. Inline with the others.

22. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    The longer the better in my book ;) , but don't American studios take things like the age range of the audience into account - like some younger kids will sit and take it all in, some kids get fidgety no matter how they enjoy the movie on the screen, etc. - or at least I recall hearing that before - and the Star Wars is aimed at a family audience.

That was for health reasons wasn't it? Thought that different now - wasn't The Hobbit in IMAX?

23. Vicious Jedi

Vicious Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    2 hr 10 - 15 minutes. Less than 2 hours before end credits will be unacceptable to me ..

24. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    My fave blockbuster type films ever end up around 1:40 - 2:10 (Raider's, Empire, Superman II, Galaxy Quest). I think it just is proper time frame to get enough to leave you wanting more and avoid bloat as many have said. Of course, everything is context/execution, so I cannot put a blind rule on running time. Though going beyond 2:20 would definitely be pushing it. I have the blatter of a gerbil!

25. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    135-140 minutes would be fine and at about the same length as the other Star Wars movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.