main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Runtime for VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tatooine Twilight Twins, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    I fear the spinoffs could possibly be under 2 hours.

2. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Bring a catheter.

3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I dont know somewhere between 2 and 3 Hours

4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Wouldn't it be great if the ST was akin to the LOTR trilogy in that each episode was increased by at least half an hour with the release of the Special Edition DVD releases?!? All that extra stuff! ...(lol)

Chewbaccon likes this.
  5. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014

Actually I'm going to say I'd prefer not to have any of that.

Initially, I enjoyed the novelty of Peter Jackson's extended edition releases of the Lord of the Rings films, though in hindsight I feel like they are just that: novelty. Sure, you get to see some of the extra bits of the film, but after viewing them, you immediately understand why they were cut from the theatrical cut. In the worst cases, several of the added scenes in the extended LOTR films are simply repeating information that's presented slightly differently elsewhere, sometimes using very similar dialogue. Also I've found it leaves me with a somewhat confused feeling about which version of the film the director was most happy with. Some of parts of the extended versions actually tend to flow better than the theatrical cuts, whereas others feel completely redundant; which makes me wonder whether the reality is that there's an ideal third cut of the film that captures the best of both. In the end, I favour the shorter versions of those films, even though some of the added scenes are nice, because they are just paced better over all.

From a purely artistic perspective, I think a director should put out one cut of the film: the cut he is happy with.

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The (lol) at the end of the post was there for a reason (lol) :)

7. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Ow. I missed that, sorry. Haha. :)

Jcuk likes this.
  8. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I have no problem sitting through a three plus hour film if I enjoy what I'm watching.

9. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    I remember watching the Return of the King Special Super Deluxe Director's Bonus Mega Gold Edition or what not and kept thinking, "How many endings does this have? And Sam and Frodo have cried about 18 times...they literally cried me a river." LOL Agreed though. I just want one definitive cut. Otherwise too many moving targets for me to wrap my thick skull around.

10. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    While I'm not advocating a 3 hour film, Avatar or Titanic had no problems breaking records at epic run times. And lesser so- the Dark Knight and Avengers. And lesser still, Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter Films. While this may not be the longest SW movie 'ever', it sure as heck won't be the shortest. I can see it clock in at around 140 minutes, BUT NOT MUCH MORE. As far as Disney wanting a leaner run time- I wouldn't bet too much on it. They gave us the Pirates of Caribbean movies and the Lone Ranger.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's very true. It's vaguely possible Disney would want to keep it under 2:15 because they really want this one polished because it is Disney's first crack at the Star Wars can, while Lone Ranger and Pirates have a less rigid structure when it comes to running time. But while I could see it going for 2:30, I do think it'd be a tad odd in the Star Wars scheme of things. It would be downright weird if we have a 3-hour Star Wars movie compared to the length of the other Episodes. the last two PT installments were pushing it but Lucas still kept it under 2:30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.