main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Russia: its impact on the world, its invasion of Ukraine, and its future

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You'll find these clever little broadsides against the state in Iranian cinema as well. Not in the made for TV movies that are state produced through and through. But in the independent cinema productions, you'll find these cunning criticisms embedded in the dialogue. I always wonder whether the censors let these pass through reluctantly or whether it's a deliberate policy by the state to allow people to vent their frustrations. Hard to tell, and kind of bleak if it's the latter.

yeurgh and SergeyX2017 like this.
  2. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Dude who plays Gasan? :D Yes, I see it too lol

Wish I could recall his name now, I've seen him in other TV shows before too, always playing bad guys from the.. South lol Russian TV and movies stereotype the hell out of Caucasians... Seriously, if you are from there and want to work as an actor, pretty much only roles you are gonna get are terrorist or gangster thug haha

Well... Its not so funny. Shameful, really IMHO There are plenty of good people from Caucasus, both Christian and Muslim. My own school girlfriend in Russia, Lilia, was Armenian (Christian from Caucasus); and a good friend, Magomed, was Ingush (Muslim Caucasian, related to Chechens and their next door neighbors). The propaganda against them really needs to stop.

This IS on state TV though. Well, not dicrectly "state", but it's owned by Gazprom. Gazprom, essentially, IS the Kremlin, basically.

Shocking to me they are letting this to air lol

But, probably, its like you say, they are letting people vent a bit.

It's why they also allow some political talk shows on TV too, where people can call in and criticize officials for corruption and such. Though, I have almost never ever heard anybody dare mention Putin himself, and even when they did, it was not directly by name lol One guest, I recall, with his lips shaking, asked, "Do you suppose the Supreme Authority is aware of this?" Supreme Authority meaning Putin. And the host immediately cut him off and went to commercials :D

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  3. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    This is what happens, when you wave a Ukrainian flag out of your university dorm window in Moscow:

Russian Security Services Allegedly Torture Student for Waving Ukrainian Flag

So, yeah. Waving Ukrainian flag in Moscow = not good idea ;) Just as, to be fair, waving Russian flag in Kiev lol

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Haha being beaten for waving a flag ;)

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  5. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
  6. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Amazing article, with great photos, about a couple researchers, anthropologists, from St. Petersburg, who, for a whole year, lived with a native nomadic Nenets deer herder family on the frosty Yamal Peninsula: Spend a day in the Yamal tundra: On the move with deer herders

Here is my favorite bit:

:D

Photo from article, couple of the kids watch cartoons on a tablet, in their chum (temporary tent dwelling made of animal skins)
    [​IMG]

You know, many urban Russians like to stereotype and even kinda mock Northern tribespeople, Nenets, Sakha, Chukchi, etc, as these underdeveloped savages, who ride around the tundra with their deer, live in chums, in the 21st century, eat raw meat.

But, in fact, these are much more modern people, in their own way, than many realize. They have access to modern technology, such as that tablet above. They just happen to enjoy their unique way of life, and prefer to hang on to it. This does not make them inferior in any way to some Moscow hipsters. Superior, probably. If some global apocalypse comes, and no more food in their local supermarket, the urban hipsters will starve, go nuts, and die. The Northerners will simply live on, with their deer and chums, as they have for thousands of years before Slavic Russian civilization ever developed... ;)

7. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
  8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    SergeyX2017 and yeurgh like this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    They were probably legitimate.

Take it from someone whose from a country where people try to do what Putin does, both sides have people who are corrupt.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

As Bill Browder said in his book, most charges against Putin's critics are legit. The crimes might be over the most random thing, but usually are quite watertight - in the eyes of the law.

11. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Shooter was a Ukrainian with an extensive criminal background. Expendable little pawn. Keep in mind, most of Ukrainian mafia works with and for Russian mafia, most Ukrainian mob bosses, like Semyon Mogilevich and others, live in Russia and control their criminal networks from there. If Russian government needed this kind of a favor from them, it would not be a problem, at all.

One should also remember that Maria's ex-husband, father of her first two children, is a guy named Vladimir Tyurin
    [​IMG]
    A very, very powerful fugure in Russian organized crime, who led the mob's operations in Europe until five or so years ago, when returned to Russia to escape a crackdown by the Spanish authorities. Tyurin is, among other things, a permanent member of the Council of Thieves in Law, the ruling body of the Russian mafia.

He may well, as many now are suggesting, still hold a grudge, perhaps hope to get Maria back after Denis is out of the way. So, he would gladly have organized this for Putin, no trouble at all.

Voronenkov greately embarassed the Kremlin when he ran off to Ukraine a few weeks ago. I was talking about it, to other Russians. Another dude said, that one won't live long now. We could all but nod... You don't piss off Putin like that and live to talk about it, no sir...

12. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Maria Maksakova and Ilya Ponomaryov, another ex-Russian MP, the only guy who dared vote AGAINST annexing Crimea at the time and was promptly expelled from the Duma and forced to flee Russia shortly thereafter, have just been assigned special protection details by the national securityservice of Ukraine, SBU.

13. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    More: Why a Russian Defector Was Gunned Down in Ukraine

14. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Ukrainian authorities apparently searching for a second suspect. I guess there were two shooters, not just one. But, they won't disclose any more information.

15. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Meanwhile, in Russia's Kaliningrad, FSB agents arrested several young men today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Five in total were arrested. All are members of a neo Nazi group, allegedly.

They had a cache of weapons
    [​IMG]
    and were, reportedly, planning terrorist attacks, out of sympathy with fellow neo Nazis in Ukraine against Russian government.

16. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Russian National Guard base in Chechnya attacked by terrorists, all six attackers killed, as well as six Guardsmen: Group of militants killed in attempted attack on National Guard

Other Russia news:

US general claims Russia supplying Taliban in Afghanistan: Russia may be helping supply Taliban insurgents: U.S. general

Election in Bulgaria could benefit Russia: The Under-the-Radar EU Vote That's Opening the Door for Russia

Russia rejects offer for their representative to perform in Eurovision in Kiev via satellite, after Ukraine banned her: Eurovision: Russia rejects offer for Julia Samoilova to perform 'via satellite'

17. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
  18. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Thousands of people came out to protests govetnment corruption and lawlessness in Moscow today, responding to a call by leading oppositioner Alexey Navalny, the people assembled at Pushkin Square
    [​IMG]
    This is an "illegal" demonstration, unapproved by the authorities, the people were warned in advance there would be consequences.

Law enforcement in riot gear block the way towards the Duma (parliament) building
    [​IMG]

People being arrested at the rally
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Videos:

Meanwhile, police and firefighters apparently stormed, essentially, by force, the offices of Navalny's Foundation for Combatting Corruption (FBK)
    [​IMG]
    They claimed, bizarrely, that there may be a bomb in the building, and they have to search it. Instead, they have arrested everyone (I mean, everyone, every person who was in the building are now on the police buses, being taken to ****ing jail), and government agents are, reportedly, taking away all their computers and documents. Probably looking for information on people who leaked to them about the elite corruption, especially - about Putin and Medvedev. If they do find something, those people are ****ing dead, the sources, I am not gonna joke about that...

yeurgh and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  19. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
  20. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
  21. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
  23. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    There were many young people at the protests, university students, even schoolkids
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Authorities accuse Navalny of paying them.

But, I disagree.

Its true that he has support among the young, because they just feel more passionately about the social issues.

Here are some kids at a school in Bryansk recently arguing with their principal, after a friend was taken away from class by police for proposing a rally in support of Navalny, online:

More: This Is How a Russian School Principal Talked to Her Students About Patriotism

Older, Soviet-raised people are used to just taking whatever the regime dishes out. Been that way for generations. But the young, growing up with internet and such, seeing the outside world... They think differently.

24. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    More: The Black Sea As Battleground for Information Warfare: A View from Bucharest

In basic terms, its like this.

Russia has a big naval base on the Black Sea in the city of Novorossiysk
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then, there is Sevastopol, in Crimea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before 2014, the Ukrainians tried to prevent Russia from strengthening its Naval forces in Crimea, by stipulating in the basing agreement that they are not allowed to replace old ships and such. But after the reannexation, their hands were untied.

Now, the Black Sea Fleet is being constantly modernized and expanded:

New Varshavyanka-class attack submarines are coming in
    [​IMG]
    and Admiral Grigorovich-class frigates
    [​IMG]

And then, of course, there is also Abkhazia, the breakaway republic, formerly part of Georgia, now, essentially, a Russian military protectorate

[​IMG]

Russia has Coast Guard there
    [​IMG]
    plus, Abkhazia has own "Navy", consisting of 8 Zhuk-class patrol ships
    [​IMG]

And one does often see Russian Nanuchka-class missile corvettes patrolling Abkhaz waters too
    [​IMG]
    Relatively small, but fast and highly maneuverable and carry powerful missiles. Same sort of warboats that engaged the Georgian Navy off the coast of Abkhazia in 2008, and sunk their flagship, the frigate "Tbilisi"... And I keep hearing that a new Naval base in Abkhazia will be developed too by the Russians.

Anyway, the whole point of all this, is that, basically, there will be two players in the Black Sea, Russia and Turkey. That's it. Kind of like how it is in the Caspian, where only two countries matter: Russia and Iran. The rest are just too small and weak to say or do anything. Like, some months ago, Russia launched cruise missiles off warships in the Caspian at Syria. Kazakhstan, for one, did not like that Russian ships sailed into their area of the sea to shoot their missiles. Putin's response to the Kazakhstani dictator, Nazarbayev, from what I understand, was along the lines of, "Yes, I did (shoot missiles at Syria from your area of the Caspian). What the **** are you going to do about it?" lol Well, Nazarbayev could NOT do anything, again, so, he did not open his mouth again...

That is what Putin and Erdogan, I believe, want to turn the Black Sea into. Of course Romania (or Bulgaria) are not at all down with that ****...

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I saw this earlier... 37% of Young Russians want the Monarchy back
    http://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/37...-want-to-restore-the-monarchy-in-russia-79065

I feel like Russian history... and 20th/21st century history... would have been much better if Czar Nicholas II just had a "Magna Carta" moment in the 1900's/1910's and began to transition to a constitutional monarchy like the UK and other European countries. But definitely no point going back now.