main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***RVD2: RYAN VS DORKMAN II -- RELEASE THREAD (SPOILERS!)***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kij421

Kij421 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    It just turned midnight here, so you guys totally made your deadline in Texas.

2. Goddard11

Goddard11 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2003
    Awesome, haha, I got first comment on Youtube

3. Spyman290

Spyman290 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2006
    [face_dancing] AWSOME=D=

Spyman

P.S. I think i got 2nd youtube view

[image=http://www.recordedmoments.com/daniel/2ndview.jpg]

4. Spyman290

Spyman290 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2006
    {edit} dbbl post sry

Spyman

5. Zurita-Films

Zurita-Films Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Wow, when you guys said there were more effects than lightsabers, you meant it. Just, WOW! I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but here is my review:

SPOILER

Well, I loved the opening credits themselves, very cinematic. Then that first shot of the fight that lasted for a minute totally blew the original RvD opening shot away. The fight was obviously hard to choreograph, as the moves were more creative and smoother than RvD 1. The interaction with the environment, the water, wall, stairs, etc, was great. Det Films really did a good job and you guys comped in the sparks, sizzles, and burnt walls perfectly. I definetely loved the humor, like Ryan's face when he thinks he is about to get his face sizzled by the lightsaber and Michael getting hit with the lightsaber in his face. My favorite moment is when you are about to fistfight, but look at eachother and go for the sabers instead. Then of course the kicking Ryan after he died, I did not see him getting sliced in half like that. Dorkman losing his hand was flawless, I'm guessing that was some of the 3D work. Then Ryan stabbing Dorkman when he was already helpless, how could you be so heartless??? Just kidding, but it was cool to see the mean side of Ryan. That's my review, 5 of 5 stars for effects and choreography that totally surpassed the original as well as an original score that followed the mood of the film just like John William's score follows the mood of Anakin fighting Obi-Wan on Mustafar. Its not just a saberfight anymore guys, you guys did more then just clashing sticks.

END SPOILER

So, I'm putting it on my PSP tomorrow, showing it to my friends, and so on. Thanks for a great film and the wait was well worth it. I cheered when I saw my name in the credits! Woo! First lenghty review!

6. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2006
    As of right now, I am once again in sheer awe of you guys. The choreography, editing, and especially the whole scene where both of you were pinned to the wall, all of it combined to absolutely astound me. Back to the wall-pin scene, that was amazing and a loved the way you guys twisted around each other, looking for an advantage. That was by far one of the most intense moments of the entire film.

You just kicked every lightsaber fight ever made squarely, soundly, and mercilessly in the balls.

HARD!!!

There will be no topping this unless you make an Ryan vs. Dorkman 3. In which case...RYAN MUST WIN!!! Come on, he lost against you, Dorkman, in the first one, lost to Brandon, and now to you again! Cut the man a little slack would ya? Seriously though, this was a great fight and I haven't been that pumped up with excitement since...

...never

Another thing I want to mention, the pyrotechnics. There is not a single thing you could have done to make RvD 2 more intense than what you did with the pyrotechnics. It helped give RvD 2 that immense sense of real, physical peril that is lacking in literally every other lightsaber fight ever made. Flawless movie guys, absolutely flawless.

Not to go download the HD version, he he he...

EDIT: I also must agree with Zurita, it was cool to see Ryan's mean side. Could that maybe be a little sadism brought on by always loosing? lol. On the serious side though, it really helped sell the illusion of you two being mortal enemies.

7. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Thanks for reading the first post.

8. sicnarf

sicnarf Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2005
    Sweet. I almost forgot about it being released today, and then my jaw dropped when I saw the email. :p

It appears Ryan will never truly win a fight. :p

And I see my name in the credits.

Great production. :)

9. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Thanks for reading the first post.

I watched the HD version.

10. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Nah, he could still mean on Stage 6. I've never been fully happy with the striking sounds but it's hard to make them sound good and not cartoony.

If you've only watched the YouTube version, though, Funk, try Stage 6. You might like it better.

M. Scott

11. Level18Jedi

Level18Jedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2005
    WOW!!!! Awesome, great, awe-inspiring, they just don't even come close to doing justice. Completely met and surpassed my expectations. Bravo.

12. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Man, you guys weren't kidding when you said the coreography was better! And the fx was awesome. The whole thing was stunning, best I've ever seen, except I do wish the ending was a little different, I thought it was a little anticlimactic to have him kick ryan- but I didn't make it obviously, so I can't complain!

Other than that, the movie was beyond incredible, and I'm so happy its out! You guys still rule in the saber fighting world :) Thank you thank you thank you for putting out a second one! I was about to die from Awesome Saber Fighting Withdrawls.

God bless!
    N

13. DavidScJr

DavidScJr Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2007
    Congradulations again guys. A job well done all across the board... now lets get out there and get this thing more publicity!

Congratzi!

~ d

14. IndyDreams

IndyDreams Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Very impressive stuff, guys.

I felt overall it was a much better film than the first. The way you used the location was amazing, and I really loved the comedy you brought in to it.

The only thing that caught me off-guard was that some shots felt more cinematic than others in terms of curves and color. Maybe it's my monitor. (I'm referring to the HD version)

Great job though.

15. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    Very nice. Better than I expected actually. I loved the use of the environment. Especially when you were against the wall. Also the "let me get my lightsaber with the force" fight was clever and fun.

Nicely done, and a film that is worthy as a sequel to RvD. It surpasses RvD, not just for quality of camera, cinematography, sound, soundtrack and special effects, but by the choreography, which is what it's really about.

Good job guys. This will be a YouTube hit in no time. Look at the views already and how long have you had it up for?

16. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    A computer monitor is nothing compared to watching it on THE BIG SCREEN!

=D=

17. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think you were just channeling my 4th grade teacher for a second, except speaking about forums rather than... shutting doors and being quiet and stuff.

I hate that I have to wait an hour or so to watch this in HD. Stupid wireless connection. I'm putting my old card and plugging in from across the room tomorrow, I swear.

Congrats on rocking.. and it's neat that I get to rock as well, I suppose.

-Vaportrail

18. rickraptor

rickraptor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2006
    Right now I'm a bit too hurry to write a deeper review, but my thoughts are(I don't think I spoil, but if I do, mods, modify my post please)... :

+
    -THe image quality and photography, way beyong the first, lighting as well.
    -The FX, as Dorkman said on the other thread, which are much more impressive than in RVD
    -The music of course. Fits in the scenes not 100% perfectly everytime IMO but it worked good enough, and also it was a great score appart from the movie itself of course.
    -The choreography. Far beyond the first one. It actually looks more like a fight now, fight for survival.

-
    -Ryan's saber sometimes looked a bit pale to my taste [face_worried]
    -Sometimes the kicks looked a bit fakey, like if they were from a WWE show, though they worked perfectly most of the time.

Well, this is at first sight, I should see it more times in order to write deeper comments, but this is the first impression: I liked it. Mostly because its film-look, the dark mood it had, the camera moves were also awesome and of course the FX were far beyond what I could ever dream to do (at least right now, who knows, with the right practice).

Congratulations on the project. Its the perfect sequel to RVD. All the effort(and money) you dudes put into this has been shown in a great fight which could have perfectly been part of a Star Wars movie. Who knows, Lucasfilm might hire you to do FX for the latest Star Wars Tv Series, hehe.

Danny

PS: I bet there's an alternative ending with different conclusion. Don't ask me why :D

19. Robi-Wan

Robi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2006
    Like I haven't waited long enough, I have to wait for it to be done buffering... The HD version...

20. Calvinthejedi

Calvinthejedi Jedi Master star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    Man...did Ryan run his saber through the water? :eek:

21. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2006
    yes he did, and it was awesome

22. Calvinthejedi

Calvinthejedi Jedi Master star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    Ok, I'm not even going to touch on the 'can a lightsaber work in water' debate...but you guys might have to deal with that every now and again.

23. Paladin1221

Paladin1221 Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2007
    It started out slower then I though it would. But definitely picked up the scene under the walkway. I would like to ask if when the the camera cut back to that wall were those plasma cuts in the metal all post production? Loved the humor glad to see during a serious fight it could get a laugh or two. I know I am gonna get pestered for saying this but one or two points the glances on your face and the sword pose reminded me of pirates of the carribeian. I loved the arm being cut off that was actually unexpected and very cool. Ryans death, as always, was as destructive as a saber can be. The kick at the end seemed almost........out of place?

All and all if I had to sum up likes and dislikes

Pro
    +Really liked the fight choreography
    +Effects were 10x better then expected
    +You put new personality into both of your dueling counterparts
    +HD was very pleasing on the eye

Cons
    -At times it did seem as though the fight was fake but not often
    -I wish the start up was a bit faster paced
    -And that kick at the end was, eh(Some will laugh at it others will ignore it)

But don't get me wrong at no point was I disappointed in fact I was way impressed, and I think the guys at geekza will be also, this was no where near a remake this duel compares to RvD 1 is like comparing the first trilogy with the second. 5/5 10/10 A+ Duel.

Now lets see RvD 3 and maybe ryan will actually make to the end of one of his fights.

24. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I watched the YouTube verrsion first, and am downloading the HD one, but did watch part of it on Stage 6. The clarity is amazing. The whole thing was fantastic. Your choreography and the speed at which it all flies by is hard to get your head around; definitely one for the frame-by-framers. The close-quarter stuff under the stairs was very impressive, great work on Bob's part there ;)

Um, I'm having a hard time voicing all my thoughts. I'm going to go watch it again. My older brother just walked in wanting to see it too...Kick ass job dudes :D

25. Lord2

Lord2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2006
    that is awesome..

The end of Michael was funny to see, good job Ryan "nearly" killing him. But the visual effects were great as expected, It would have been fun to see Ryan in two parts! (when he was dead [face_laugh])

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the HD movie was more brilliant to see..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.