main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***RVD2: RYAN VS DORKMAN II -- RELEASE THREAD (SPOILERS!)***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    vfx awesome! great work... Love how when dorkmans arm is gone u can c the fishy bits, and how'd u do that wall cutting effect, tryna figure that out 4 aaaaaaaages

2. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    Gosh, I woke up at exactly the right moment here in the UK. It's 6 AM now.

The good -

- The effects were absolutely spot on. Ryan really HAS improved over the last few years.
    - The cinema-like feel will absolutely blow the minds of the guys I'm gonna show this to.
    - The effects REALLY were spot on
    - Kudos for not over-doing the ending again.
    - Genuinely, genuinely Laugh Out Loud funny at several places. The sections where it looks like Ryan and Dorkman might go hand-to-hand is a work of genius
    - The ending will have me giggling like a schoolgirl for years.
    - Much more graphic than I was expecting. This is a very good thing.

The not so good -

- The acting was, I feel, not as believable as the first. This is likely down to the more ambitious cutting choices, which are commendable.
    - In HD, the occasional stabilisation really shows up more than it did in the first. Unavoidable, however.
    - The choreography, while a darn sight better than the first, wasn't quite up to what I was expecting. I might need another few watches for it to grow on me.
    - There were parts where I felt the pacing and acting was sacrificed for the sake of comedy and/or effects. These included putting the burn marks into the wall (which, effects-wise, was incredible by the way) and holding the blue saber behind Ryan's back.

Overall, the gripes are minor and this was deserving of my small donation. Rotoing the sabers through the grate must have been about as fun as injecting salt into your eyeball. I'm now going to watch it repeatedly.

3. Darth-Aroman

Darth-Aroman Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2005
    That was SO amazing guys. Great Job. The HD was awsome, and even so was the youtube version. Of course, it was VERY awsome full screen on my brand new laptop =D=

Well Done. Very Well Done.

4. Justicetoall

Justicetoall Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2004
    I've watched the youtube version first, and it not only buggered the sound, but the video aswell. RVD1 seems to be clearer on you-tube by far. Thank you for the HD release. Unless you don't have fast internet (it's 429 megs) or a computer that can't play HD (or both obviously) you have NO reason to watch that You-Tube version first. (watch it second, so Ryan and Scott get some hits down there!).

The eyecandy is there, I love the "slicing trough metal" sequences. And I won't ask how long it took to rotoscope the sabers seen trough grate... The comedy in this fight was spot on. I like humor like that.

And the ending... I LOVE the ending.

Great work Ryan and Michael!

5. Laughing_Cheese

Laughing_Cheese Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2006
    Awesome job guys!!

6. ZNichols

ZNichols Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 21, 2006
    =D=

Well done chaps. I loved everything about it. Way more humor than I was expecting (wasn't expecting any), but it was awesome. Dorkman getting bonked in the face by his lightsaber was awesome. The humor felt like something out of an Indiana Johnes movie. Which is a good thing. I'm a little to tired for a full critique right now. But suffice it to say, it was awesome.

7. Goddard11

Goddard11 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2003
    Again, it is amazing.

Great Job.

8. JediPastor

JediPastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    Impressive.

Most impressive.

(sorry I just had to)

I was very pleased with it. Best by far than anything else out there. Period.

Unfortunately I'm a little hesitant now about showing it to my kids. It gets a little dark there with Ryan slowly driving his saber into Dorkman. My kids have seen Star Wars and all but I edited a version of episode three for them. They've never seen it full version. I may have to do that as well for this.

I have to say that I didn't enjoy the ending of this one as much as the first, but overall this is much better. You guys had a lot of attention to detail. It looks amazing.

Bravo

Bravo.

9. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Excellent job, guys. Top notch stuff. All the environmental interaction was a great touch...especially the wall slicing sequence. I doubt if that could have been executed any better. This goes for the saber hilt slice, dismemberments, and pretty much every other visual effect. Even smaller things such as the tension on the saber handle during the force push/pull battle looked great.

I agree that the sound effects on some of the body hits could be exaggerated a bit more though. That's one of the strong parts of RvD, IMO. But pretty much all the saber related sound work was great, especially considering all the original aspects of the fight you had to deal with. Great work Ryan, Mike, and all involved.

I don't know if I should be inspired or depressed. [face_worried]

-Brad

10. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2006
    Ok, this is angering me. I downloaded the DiVx software onto my computer but it isn't letting me watch the video. Every time i try to open it, it opens up Final Cut Express HD and says Error: Wrong File Type.

Can someone help me out?

BTW, I'm on a MacPro running OS X

11. ShadowDuelist

ShadowDuelist Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2006
    Defiantly lived up to the hype.
    Ryan's had his head cut off by his own saber twice now. He really needs to win the next one.

12. IndyDreams

IndyDreams Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Also, the darker stuff at the end was the kind of **** Episode 3 needed. Amazing visuals there.

13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Apparently the Stage 6 version is downloadable and you can open it directly in Quicktime. Try dragging the file onto the Quicktime icon to load it using that program.

M. Scott

14. RustyM

RustyM Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2003
    Funniest saber fight ever.

15. fbtravis

fbtravis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    Can't believe i shot this thing. Mr Mike, Ryan, salut. Take er easy tonight.

16. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Go download a codec pack and Media Player Classic.

I think just plain ol' Mplayer will play it, too.

17. Goddard11

Goddard11 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2003
    Yeah I love how it is very dark, both of them really get sliced.

18. RisingPhoenix

Dec 1, 2006
    Did that. Gave me pretty much the same error message.

19. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Right click the file and say "Open with..." and either select Divx or say "Other" if it isn't listed.

Dragging it to QuickTime wouldn't work for me either, but Alex is sending me a .mov since the Divx version wouldn't play smoothly beyond the first 90 seconds or so. I've always hated Divx, so I'm not surprised...I need a MacBook Pro just to glorify all my friends with this :p

20. Cryptite_

Cryptite_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    My highest kudos, guys. Potentially the most impressive fanfilm I have ever seen. Incredibly inspiring all the way through.

Can't imagine how glad you must be to have it done with.

21. RisingPhoenix

Dec 1, 2006
    Where would I be able to download those?

22. Black_Chameleon

Black_Chameleon Jedi Master star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    That was quacktastic!

23. SamS

SamS Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    Very cool, borders on cute (and in a good way).

Nicely done. I watched the HD Divx in VLC and it worked fine.

Little gruesome...my son won't be watching this for some time. For the rest of us...very cool.

Funny, when I started download, only one person had commented. When I finished watching, I'm on page three.

Good work guys. I'll do my part to disseminate this cinematic bon-bon.

24. RisingPhoenix

Dec 1, 2006
    Would it be too bold of me to say that RvD is the best swordfight ever

25. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Color me impressed. Certainly surpassed your first outing against each other. The camera and angles really helped add depth to the shots. The burn marks and little touches here and there were wonderful. Although I must say the cutting of limbs was bit graphic for my taste. I'm a fan of horror movies but I really wasn't expecting it in this. Though if there was a fight between two guys with laser/plasma based weapons I'm sure there'd be parts flying.. So overall quite nice. I'll be showing it to everyone I can get to sit down and watch.

Oh and. Thanks for the Soundtrack Producer credit. Glad I could help you guys out even if it wasn't much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.