***RVD2: RYAN VS DORKMAN II -- RELEASE THREAD (SPOILERS!)***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. fbtravis Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't think so. But its no Oedipus vs. the king of thieves.

And the dix version runs much, much better on quicktime pro.
  2. Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It really does have a lot of teh funneh, I think the downright most hilarious moment for me, with the possible exception of the ending, is when Dorkman realises he has Ryan's saber for a brief second. This was the most perfectly acted part of the fight. I had to pause the video and just belly-laugh here.
  3. bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    450 ferreting Megabytes! I guess I'll download it tomorrow at work. YouTube for now though.
  4. JediPastor Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't think it was just the cutting of the limbs but, how much screen time was devoted to it. That and Ryans face as he's driving the saber into Dorman. I'd let my kids see it if it was just the shot of Dorkman getting his arm cut off and leg burnt. But the drawn out shot of him looking at his severed limb and seeing the inside of it, then seeing the hand on the floor with the burnt end of the stump... I believe that this would garner an "R" rating from the MPAA. Hense my kids won't be watching it until I make some edits.

I agree with you that two guys fighting with laser swords would result in some limb removal, no doubt. In fact my own LCC5 entry is scheduled to have some armature chopping itself, but it will be quick shots and no going back and focusing on the wounds.

p.s.
    Do we have to color our text black. I was just following what everyone else seemed to be doing but I noticed that the thread title says SPOILERS.
  5. brook_33 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yaaarr, there be spoilers ahead...

Ya know, I was never the biggest fan of RvD. I agreed it was well choreographed and the saber fx were well done, but I never thought it was worthy of all the attention it was given. But let me say, those who dislike RvD2 have a problem. I can honestly say I've enjoyed watching this five times in high def, and all five times I enjoyed it more than any of the saber fights in the Star Wars films.

The first thing I must bow before is the camerawork. Travis and Brandon did an awesome job, and I'm assuming that, Ryan and Mike, you both worked with them on camera angles/movement ideas. This felt like a film that you would see on TV or in theatres. The camerawork was fantastic and the way it interacted with the choreography felt like it was taking me right into the action.

The choreography did not start off as excitingly as I'd hoped. The action really picked up as you guys went under the catwalk, but slowed a bit when you both were struggling with each saber. After Ryan jumps back though it was excellent. The interaction with the environment, first under the catwalk, then against the wall was top notch. I'm sure a lot of the burns and scrapes were done on the set for consistency, but still it looked amazing.

The facial expressions were great (much better than the first). There was a great deal of humor involved as well and some real sinister looks (especially from Ryan near the end). This felt like a "Ryan's Revenge" sequel. Ryan slices Dorkman's leg and stabs him just like Dorkman did to him in RvD. Too bad it didn't work out for Ryan in the end (can't catch a break, can you? first against dorkman, then brandon, then dorkman again). The looks on your faces when you stop from about to punching to run for your sabers was perfect.

The tie-ins with the first RvD were great. The struggle over a single saber (Ryan's this time), and also the Force-pull on Mike's saber. The way the plan backfired on Ryan was cool, but I liked seeing it backfire and hit Mike in the face this time a bit more. Of course there were the injuries and several poses I recognized. And of course the costumes and saber colors.

The music was great. It was not a too powerful, but still gave the fight a very dramatic feel. Props to the composer.

I don't have any specific criticisms. I think it was said that the punching/kicking felt staged and unreal, which I can understand. Some of the audio for those punches seemed less than great, but I can't think of any places specific.

Overall, amazing. As if you guys weren't popular enough around here, this will definately boost your points. I'm positive this will gain more attention than RvD ever could have. So get some rest, cause Monday morning you're starting RvD3. :p
  6. Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan

star 4
    After a few viewings, I'm really starting to appreciate the work that went into those scorch marks on the walls and floor. In the thread for the first RvD, Ryan actually made a post along the lines of "in canon hits to the floor don't leave marks, and our floor is made of the same stuff". Looks like that philosophy has been abandoned for this - there was a lot of complicated tracking going on there. And major, major kudos for adding the scorched wall in to later shots and not just thinking "to hell with it, no-one will notice".
  7. RisingPhoenix Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Thanks for the VLC link. I've now watched RvD 2 in HD six times.

Congrats again to Ryan and Dorkman, you've created yet another lightsaber duel that will be he fanfilm standard for at least a couple of years.
  8. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just as a note, any time you see damage to the environment, it is a digital effect. The wall getting scraped up, and the damage on the wall in subsequent shots, was 3D-tracked onto a blank wall in post.

Some of those shots probably look like we're "showing off" the effect by including it, but while shooting we just chose the best angles and takes, and only after the cut was locked did we realize we had a good 7 or 8 shots where the wall was visible and would need to be damaged.

The one time we scorch the floor was in response to all the comments we've gotten over the years that the sabers in RvD1 should have left marks on the floor during the rolling shot. Perhaps ironically, we hadn't even choreographed that. His saber just hit the floor and I decided to make it spark and scorch.

Oh, if anyone's curious, the point when the battery died at the premiere was 5:03.

M. Scott
  9. Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The more I look at it, the more it looks like Ryan's saber in the through-the-grating shot was a ForceFX. Am I right???
  10. SilentBat Jedi Knight

star 4
    Haha you remembered the specific time.
  11. Vidina Jedi Master

star 4
    As much as I hate to do this to an already awesome film; I just have to make sure
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/vidina/dorkman_error.jpg]
    Exactly over the burning action, I can swear I keep seeing the edges of the smoke footage there. Appears as a "square". Really annoys me. Am I correct?

oh and Superb film, guys :D
  12. Ryan_W VIP

VIP
    star 4
    Well, we made it a couple hours before the circled framegrabs started coming in.
  13. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I don't see what you see, but you wouldn't see the edges because we set up the camera and shot the smoke from an identical angle. The smoke footage fills frame so, whatever you're seeing, it's not that.

M. Scott
  14. D_Hanson Jedi Youngling

Amazing and impressive (most impressive). I woke back up at 2 a.m. (EST) to check on the status and watch it. It was definitely worth getting out of bed for.

Thanks!
  15. NateCaauwe Jedi Master

star 4
    Huh, that's right about where QuickTime likes to crash unless I scrub pass it :p
  16. bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    In the grating shot, I'm guessing it's just a luma matte, with the feather turned up to hide any imperfections in the mask.

I'm also guessing that the spinning, glowing, bisected saber is Pixel's contribution? Not that I could tell, it's just that it seems like the only element that would be difficult to get in a 2D compositing app.

I'm reserving judgment in review form until I see the HD version. Youtube really did a number on it. The only gripe I'll voice now is this:

WHERE'S THE FERRETING CLONES!?

I watched that whole list of producers expecting a clone to show up! Actually, I was expecting a clone to show up, but for Mike to be ready for it this time, and really truly win the fight. But NO clones at all? Ryan, what happened? There are 3 things you are known for, man. Lightsabers, blue tee-shirts, and clones. Why the glaring absence?

You guys DO know that YouTube "unofficially" accepts files in the FLV file format, right? And that when they receive such files, they DON'T re-encode them. So, you can use SUPER (or other encoder of your choice) to encode a good looking version in .flv format with the MPEG4 codec, and whatever common sound codec you'd like, and they WON'T mess with it. You knew that, right?
  17. Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Assuming it was one, the LOTR reference was sublime.
  18. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    One of several shots where we chose to use the ForceFX sabers.

Nope, that one was practical.

I'd hear something to that effect. *shrug* Too late now, the views are pouring in on YouTube and I don't want to lose the progress we've made in that regard. Good to know for our next one, though.

That's the second time someone's mentioned a LOTR reference (or the second place you have, maybe). I don't think we did one intentionally, so what do you mean by that?

M. Scott
  19. brook_33 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hey guys, I'm having some trouble downloading it from Stage 6. It dumps the file into a Temporary Folder that I can't find and doesn't give me the option of saving it anywhere else. Is the Stage 6 version supposed to be downloadable (like any film hosted on TFN) or is it just like when you select "Open" instead of "save" and it goes into a Temp. Folder?
  20. Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Wahey! Score one.

Next one? I'd spend a few years drunk myself before I tried again [face_dancing]

It wasn't me the first time. You getting stabbed with Ryan's saber is so close to Weathertop in the first LOTR film, that you should tell people it's a reference.

I guess a side effect of pop-culture overload is that I end up seeing references where there are none.
  21. Vidina Jedi Master

star 4
    right click the save button and select "save file as.."
  22. Paladin1221 Jedi Youngling

I have to point out while you both did a great job acting and trying to keep the face serious. Dorkman you did an amazing acting job. Your face when you both notice you need to run and pick up your saber is so priceless.

Also the shot were you are drilling the saber into dorkman shoulder. GREAT camera work. Nice use of wide screen really awesome job.
  23. bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ^^
    And to that effect, I'd like to go on record as saying that Mike's scream was ten times better than Elijah Wood's girly whimper. And that Ryan as the 'Wieber' King would pwn.
  24. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wow. You're right. I don't think we did that on purpose, but that probably did influence our choice there.

There were a few occasions where we did consciously emulate a director's style. For example, in the shot from ~2:23-2:28, the push-in to a close up of our sabers with a wide angle lens we specifically considered a "Peter Jackson shot". But I don't remember making my shoulder stab an LOTR reference intentionally.

M. Scott
  25. brook_33 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There is no "save file as". You're talking about the blue button on the screen right?
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.