***RVD2: RYAN VS DORKMAN II -- RELEASE THREAD (SPOILERS!)***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Robi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Congrats guys! And to everyone involved in it. Can't say anything else than I love it. I downloaded it an hour ago from Stage6. But near the end of the fight it started lagging, so I had to finish it on YouTube.

My favourite part was the moment Michael had Ryans saber for a sec. The expression on his face and the music right there; magnificent. Like a five year old baby:p

I am very pleased, not to say impressed once again, but a thing I think would be funny that you could have involved; when the fight is over after Michael gets off the ground dusting himself, it would've been funny if he suddenly remembered he got killed by Ryans clone last time, and looked around himself just to check.

And I found the acting really great. I almost felt sorry for Michael.

Nonetheless, incredibly good.
    And what's up next? A long vacation from the laptop?:p
  2. fbtravis Jedi Knight

star 1
    I couldn't be more proud of the twist on the shot as Ryan approaches to kick Mike's face. Thats me laying flat on my back on our makeshift dolly, twisting to keep that great frame. I love that it mirrors the similar shot of Mike forcing the saber out of Ryan's hand. The big drop in that shot was just me dropping to my knees, and yes, Ryan, my back still hurts just watching it.
  3. -Joshy- Jedi Knight

star 1
    That was awesome =D=

Only Con is I think the kicks looked a little fake, but briliant film none the less!
  4. Goddard11 Jedi Knight

star 2
    lol give them a break, its the OPENING hours... stop LOOKING for mistakes, when you watch it all the way through, I see no flaws. The effects are superb.
  5. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I totally, totally planned to do that. But we were running so behind schedule that we basically only had time to get that one last shot (we literally shot me kicking him, then packed up and drove to the airport), and doing the performance, I just forgot to look around.

You guys are talking about different shots, but I agree with Travis. I think the shot, right after he cuts my leg, when I drop to the ground and the camera swivels around to catch him kicking me, might be my favorite in the film. Certainly one of them. And it might not look it, but it was the most difficult to film because it was the only one that involved total coordination between all four of us.

Brandon had to pull the dolly at exactly the right speed, I had to drop to exactly the right height off the ground, Ryan had to hit his marks walking around me to get the "reveal" we were going for, and Travis had to get it all framed properly. We must have done 30 takes of what looks, I think, like a very natural and simple shot.

M. Scott
  6. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    I hate to sound like a pain/broken record/n00b but I'm still having downloading problems.

BTW, did you guys actually film the saber smacking you in the face, Dorkman, or was that done via compositing?
  7. Vidina Force Ghost

star 4
    "Save TARGET as.." then.
  8. Paladin1221 Jedi Padawan

It does seem simple going back and looking at it I can imagine how difficult it was. I am so use to working with cameras in a 3D enviorment that seeing a camera following a bezier curve seems like nothing special. Really nice work travis.
  9. bgii_2000 Jedi Master

star 4
    Alternate Download Link (20MB, requires flvplayer or VLC to play)

The link should work in about 10 mintues (still uploading).

PS: Mike, if you find this offensive in some way, feel free to ban me.
  10. MasterZap Jedi Master

star 4
    To the melody of "Hotel California"

In dark dusty gray room
    cool looking, wild stares
    warm smell of tortillias
    rising up through the air

up ahead in the distance
    see a shimmering blade
    it clashes heavy as the sparkles stream
    it's a lightsaber fight !

Camera swoops through the hallway
    I heard orchestral cues!
    And I was thinking to myself
    "these guys really have paid their dues"

Ryan lights up a saber,
    Dorkman kicks him away,
    there are voices up on TFN
    and I can hear them say:

Welcome to TEH RYAN vs DORKMAN!
    Such a lovely fight
    Such a shiny light
    Plenty of fighting in RYAN vs DORKMAN
    And it's number TWO, on the TUBE for YOU!

Steel and metal is twisted,
    lots of pyro is spent
    And they are both so pretty-pretty boys
    that I consider friends

It's like dance in the courtyard,
    sweet saber sweat,
    A big fight to remember,
    a sequel not to forget

Such a lovely fight
    Such a shiny light
    They're tearing it up in TEH RYAN vs DORKMAN
    What a nice suprise - brough in HD size!

Mirrors - but with feeling -
    the stuff that George Lucas tries,
    (coz he said) 'we need a huge epic battle here
    as a plot device'

And in the tortillia chambers
    they gathered for their fight
    stabbing with their lazer blades
    hitting every surface in sight

Last thing I remember, it was
    somewhere at 5.04
    They had to add a battery pack
    until I could watch some more

'relax' said teh DorkMan
    you can get it online
    but if you leave the theater
    you'll have to get back in line

Such a super fight
    Such a blinding light
    They're slicing it up in TEH RYAN vs DORKMAN
    RVD num' 2, it's online for YOU....

(Apologies to "The Eagles")

/Z
  11. Paladin1221 Jedi Padawan

Then why not ask before posting it?
  12. MasterZap Jedi Master

star 4
    I REALLY like the "twistaround" shot at 2.17-ish where you guys twist around your sabers, shot as a medium longshot down that dark 'hallway' of wierd catwalk machinery stuff.

Ace.

/Z
  13. bgii_2000 Jedi Master

star 4
    Because its gonna happen anyway, and because asking takes time. And because everyone should be able to watch the film as soon as possible.
  14. Robi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Just cought my eye. I don't know if it was a fault of course, but looked a little strange.
    At 00:50 Michael turns to his left. Ryan is about to strike Michael and Michael turns to his right to block Ryans strike, when he really just could've sliced Ryan. And Ryan would've missed in the first place. Just saying it looked a little odd.

Don't hate me for it![face_worried]
  15. Vidina Force Ghost

star 4
    then thou shalt share!
  16. -Joshy- Jedi Knight

star 1
  17. Trumpetmaster15 Jedi Padawan

Amazing, truly amazing.

Great effetcs.
  18. Vidina Force Ghost

star 4
    Being ok or not, I'm not sure, but you didn't actually include a link.

Now on to review.
    I really enjoyed it, but I was kinda dissapointed. It all comes down to how high your hopes are I suppose, but I found it to have less actual lightsaber action than I was hoping for. Sure, the choreography was good, but there wasn't much new to it, nor unique for that matter. The films style was really good. The HD really paid off, and the effects were brilliant. It's just these small things I'm annoyed of, and that doesn't really matter when looking on the whole of the film. It's all together geniously put together, from beginning to end, and as a sequel, it does all I hoped for, except that little thing Robi-Wan pointed out. The ending should've been slightly edited.

Okay, I suck at writing reviews, so I'll stop.
  19. DigitAl56K Jedi Padawan

You should think about updating the HD version with a higher audio bitrate, which will reduce the squelching in the orchestral parts. For good quality stereo you will need around 112 - 128kbps. Super fast way to do it: Make your new MP3 encoding, open the current file in VirtualDubMod, go to the Streams List from the Streams menu, double-click the current audio track to disable it, add the new audio track (you can right click it and adjust the offset if you need to tweak the sync), then set the Video mode to Direct Stream Copy and save the file under a new name to mux everything together. It takes only seconds.

Overall I'm amazed at the production, incredible work!
  20. Robi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Take a look again[face_peace]
  21. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    HA! You think I didn't look for that?
  22. bgii_2000 Jedi Master

star 4
  23. -Joshy- Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just give it a minute, TorrentSpy havnt checked it yet only another 20mins or so Its basically a heads up for now, patience... :p

EDIT: Torrents are ready to go, Scroll up to my other post!
  24. doubler83 Jedi Padawan

I got to say, that was bloody fantastic! I'm sure if GL saw it, he would be very impressed!

Bravo!! =D= =D= =D=
  25. Rhys Force Ghost

star 4
    Just watched this guys, awesome, awesome job. Seen it once, gonna watch it another five times or so in a sec. I loved the part where Dorkman tries to slam Ryan into the sabers on the wall, and man, the end was brutal.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.