main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***RVD2: RYAN VS DORKMAN II -- RELEASE THREAD (SPOILERS!)***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightsaber_Monster

Lightsaber_Monster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2005
    I have not fully read this thread though, but was RVD2 shot using AVCHD or HDV?

2. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Panasonic HVX200, so DVCPRO HD.

3. Lightsaber_Monster

Lightsaber_Monster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Ive read on Wiki that DVCPRO can give up to 3 times the biterate of HDV is this true?, on another note, why did you choose to shoot RVD2 on DVCPRO rather than AVCHD or HDV?

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Because DVCPRO is better.
    Than HDV, anyway. I'm not sure what AVCHD is.

Additionally, the HVX200 image is about the best bang for the under 10,000 buck (until next year).

5. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    The HVX200 is probably the most versatile prosumer SD camcorder ever made. Currently the performance of the HVX200 may be exceeded by a number of Sony XDCAM camcorders, using cheaper flash than P2, and high bitrate (higher than HDV anyway) long-GOP codecs, recording at full 1920x1080p.

Scarlet should indeed beat everything on the market next year.

AVC-HD is a low bit-rate, high efficiency codec for consumer HD camcorders. The AVC-HD codec can be put to DVD-R, Flash and Hard Disk. In theory, the spec could exceed HDV quality, though in implementation this is debatable. Major editing platforms (i.e., Premiere and FCP) do not yet support AVC-HD, though I think Vegas does.

-Spiff

6. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    If it is in Vegas, it's not listed as one of the default project templates. NTSC, PAL, HDV are all present, but all I could find was a help file on how to export to AVC for a PSP. I don't think it even said AVC-HD, actually.
    DVCPRO is nowhere to be found. I suppose this doesn't mean it won't read the formats, but it looks like they're not something the program is expecting to come across.

-Vaportrail

7. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    DVCPRO is primarily supported by FCP on the Mac. You can get DVCPRO-HD support in Premiere through Cineform. I'm actually surprised Cineform hasn't supported AVC-HD yet, but I recall reading that they had trouble getting a license for a codec.

-Spiff

8. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    FCP has had support for AVCHD for at least nine months, maybe over a year. I'm not sure if it was there since FCP 6 was released or if they added it when iMovie 08 came out with it late last summer.

9. JoeyH

JoeyH Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 14, 2004
    This may be only loosely related to the Ryan vs. Dorkman series, but Weezer posted a music video on youtube for their new single (Pork and Beans) and it appears that it's you two fighting with sabers near the end. In fact, the whole thing is chock full of internet fads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muP9eH2p2PI

Is that really you two? I know they corralled a bunch of other internet stars into reprising their roles.

10. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    I'd say so, the hint being in Ryan also having adopted this song on his mySpace profile i noticed today while engaging in my yearly mySpace update.

11. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    16x9 footage cropped to 4x3 = effectively omitting Mike from the video...

Yes indeed it's really us. And we hung out with pretty much everybody in the video.

12. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Yeh, was wondering for a moment if it wasn't actual RvD2 footage that some poor soul had to rotoscope or something.

13. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Did you or Mike do the lightsaber effects in the video? They look spot on.

14. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Y'know, I think want a little more lightsaber.
    [image=http://www.battleagainstbald.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/07/christopher_walken.jpg]

So, what's the Numa Numa guy like?

-Vaportrail

15. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I did the sabers, he did the drumsticks. Which they changed the look of from what we were doing with them.

16. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Yes, we talked to the VFX supervisor and the director on set, explaining that we'd be happy to do them pro bono, and quickly. Mike did some follow-up emailing and we got the shots. We did more than was used in the video, but at least the sabers don't look like crap.

17. GiantGnomeDigital

GiantGnomeDigital Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2008
    That's incredible! I'm so glad you guys decided to do that. I was hoping to see you fellas and inevitably, there you guys were. Again, amazing! Thanks for deciding to do that, Weezer is one of my favorite bands.

18. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    This begs for a comparison image.

19. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Oh very sweet :)

20. JoeyH

JoeyH Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 14, 2004
    What he said. I don't see much difference compared to how they would normally look (aside from their length).

21. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    Excellent stuff!

22. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    It looks to me like there's more color in the motion blur, rather than a solid white core fanning out. I can't freeze-frame it, so I don't really know how to describe it other than that.

-Vaportrail

23. HollywoodVFX

HollywoodVFX Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2008
    Right, they just didn't do the drumsticks fully opaque like a saber. Not necessarily a bad call in this instance.

24. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Why? Why would anyone do that?

25. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    That's just what we've been asking the home video industry for years.

-Vaportrail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.