main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***RVD2: RYAN VS DORKMAN II -- RELEASE THREAD (SPOILERS!)***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaplooTheory

PaplooTheory Jedi Master star 5

Nov 9, 2001
    I really enjoyed this film. The presentation and effects were jaw-dropping.

Any chance for a decent quality quicktime file? My computer has a wicked hard time dealing with HD videos. They lag like crazy. I have a pretty good computer, so I don't know why it lags, but still, I'd love a decent quality file to save so I don't have to go online every time.

2. fbtravis

fbtravis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    Now see, thats my favorite. And thats me with my back to the wall across from them with a vat of raw corn steeping in lime juice right in front me. Hot, smelly corn. But man, it works to blow out at that moment.

3. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Okay, smelly corn. Maybe I need to modify the lyrics I posted a few posts up, then? ;)

(I hope someone took the time to read those since I put some actual thought into teh parody)

/Z

4. Robi-Wan

Robi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2006
    Ryan and/or Michael, would it be too much to ask of you to post pics of your hilts with the fiber-rods in them? I'm really curious on how they look, and how thick. Everyone I've asked just tells me to read about them. But I relly want pictures so I can see.

5. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Now i've watched it a couple times there's so much to appreciate, and the move at the end where Ryan lets go of the saber and changes hands is really clever.

6. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    I probably shouldn't post this as some web sites frown on people exploiting the whole "view source" feature of our web browsers but what the heck, you only live once. Here's a direct download link for the HD version of RvD2 in HD format from Stage6 itself.

Right-click and choose "Save Target As".

http://video.stage6.com/427387/1137289.divx

I'm sure if a mod does not want this link to be present, they will edit this post accordingly.

Even though it's file extension is .divx, I believe it will ultimately save as a .avi file, if not, who cares. You can rename it if you want.

7. glen8

glen8 Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2007
    Well done guys,

It's amazing the amount of detail which you put into this. I noticed pretty much everything

I liked the Reflection in the water and the lens flare at the tip of the saber handle on close-ups

also liked the subtle hints to RVD1

Awesome!!!!

The angles of the camera too is just like a proper movie :-0 Looks like u had loads of cameras but am I right in thinking you only had one?

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh man... a lot (A LOT) of the choreography was extremly similar to what I was planning to do for our LCCV-entry. Like the grabbing each others hands-part for example - I was going to use that a lot for our entry, and we used it for The Clash too, but if we do it now, everyone will just say we ripped off RvD2 :oops:
    Great minds think alike I suppose... and ours as well!

Anyway. You guys definately know that I'm not really a fan of the first RvD. It's one of the better fan duels out there, absolutely - but it's nothing special, at least not choreography-wise. But this one, this one is a totally different matter.
    Let me congratulate you on doing the fight that is everything The Duel in RotS should have been and wasn't.
    The long take at the beginning really blew my mind. The one thing I've always liked about the first RvD was the long opening shot of fighting, but this one was SO much more impressive. Must've taken quite some time to get that right?
    Also, I'm glad to see that you actually seem to have had your feet in mind while choreographing - also a step up from the original.
    But the most impressive thing of all (choreography-wise at least) is the interaction with the enviroment. I love the whole slashing of the wall-part. Some really clever choreography there!
    And of course, all the effects, the cinematography, the editing - nearly flawless. The one thing I have to complain about is that some of the punches and kicks doesn't look too real. But that's really a minor complaint.

All-in-all, this was actually the best lightsaber duel I've ever seen. Even surpassing the great Art of the Saber!
    At least that's how I feel right now. Now, give me a few days to take it all in, and I'll start analyzing and critizising it ;)

9. glen8

glen8 Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2007
    are you guys planning an RVD3

maybe outside this time?

10. Tommygunfeth

Tommygunfeth Jedi Master

Apr 25, 2006
    Great work you two..
    stunning.. amazing.. absolutely great!

And... I've heard people say that they want a 3rd one in the not-so-far future..
    but actually.. I don't.. if you're gonna make anything at all in the future then
    I actually hope it's a movie instead of a short movie clip like this..

well anyways.. loved the pyro effects..

11. fbtravis

fbtravis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    Yep, just one, baby, gotta get that coverage. It was a lot of fun to see scenes come together like the guys squaring back up for the last bit, it's shot much like a dialogue scene.

12. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Guys... could we get a h264 quicktime of this? I'd host ot for ya.

You see, I just made the unthinkable and bought... a mac (!!). Yes, a small mac mini to hook up to my HDTV.

However, this tiny little "appliance like" computer is too underpowered to play HD DivX. (It gladly plays HD quicktimes and even HD WMV9's, tho, so I'm thinking more sloppy codec programming). So I'd like to see a HD in either of those versions, at some point.

/Z

13. CMR

CMR Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    Awesome job fellas...

I absolutely loved it!

14. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    I really loved the use of sparks in this. Especially at 3:04 when he flicks them at Mike. I had planned to do that for School Duel, but never got around to it.

Other favorite part: When the saber hits Ryan in the face. A gag that always works.

15. effstops

effstops Jedi Master star 3

Feb 20, 2003
    Well done, guys! Extremely entertaining. Flawless effects work, great choreography, and some hilarious moments! So cool.

--Colin

16. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Great work!

17. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Y'know...

I watched this a couple of more times, and what is very striking to me is the quality of the drama here, i.e. the filming, scoring and acting working together as a whole.

Even if some snippets of the fight looked a bit "rehearsed" (especially the first long shot) the overall result was very involving, especially the latter half since you really start to get into this whole "stuff ain't going as we planned" kinda mood... what I mean by that is, the first half of the fight "feels" like the fighter is getting the results they want.... and then, suddenly things start to go "not quite as they intended", and the whole intensity kinda shifts.

This is similar to the original RvD where I always liked the total intensity shift pre- and post- the breakage of Scott's glasses.

As a matter of fact, I think both of them have a chance to get an acting career out of this; especially Ryan with his very marketable DiCaprio/Depp/Pitt look. The intensity is very real, there. It's not your average pimply visual effects nerd out of the basement.

The effects were mostly flawless. I could dig out some minor nitpicks such as a tiny tiny blacklevel mismatch on one of the shots where they cut up the wall, some lack of motion blur on the CG arm stump when Scott falls, and the tracking of the damage to the wall slips in one shot. Also I think the saber should have been a bit brighter in the water reflection, or had a brighter core... now it felt a bit like "LDRI" opacity.

But hey - hey - those are nitpicks that you need a bleedin' microscope to even note!

Pixels contribution went by so fast I hardly noticed it. The pyro stuff was fantastic. Kudos to Bob there. The mayhem and destruction was extremely well performed and comped. (There was a 0:00 display in there that threw me off for a second - were they planning a Bomb!? But I then realized it was just part of the location... perhaps the "time until you need to take the tortillias out?" ;)

But above all, there is humor in there. The gags work fantastically. The "saber hits face", the "should we fistfight now", the "oh look, I just got a blue saber" and other tiny little things that was done with perfecly selling facial expression... very very very well done there.

Heck, what impresses me most with this is how much is well done OTHER than the fight!! Yeah. That's it. It's not just a good fight... (heck, I could argue the fighting itself is not so realistic at some points) ... it's the whole enchilada (or perhaps I should say tortillia? Taco? LOL ;) )

The score... on top of this.... man.

(But... pray tell.... this main 'hook' of the score... isn't that very similar to that stuff from AOTC... if you pop in the DVD and it chooses the "geonosis arena" fight, there is a loop playing behind that menu screen... isn't that music frighteningly similar? Or is it not? I'm taking this from memory, without actually popping my DVD in....)

Alas, fantastic work.

/Z

18. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I didn't once think of that loop, Zap. It just sounds 'Hollywodd-action-movie-esque', so it probably reminds everyone of something.

I think it works famously.. I still can't get my thoughts into words here though. It took me a while to be able to really talk about Episode III also, so yeah. Later.

-Vaportrail

19. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    Great work.

Did you use a footage of paper burning for the effect when dorkman is stabbed, i mean the edge burn away is cool.

20. Jwool

Jwool Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2007
    There were a couple of things that suprised me while watching the sequel:

Positives:

+The blades were real-looking (there's a bad side to that as well)

+The oversaturation of the Michael's yellow lightsaber in RvD(1) is gone for good (hopefully)

+The choreography is AMAZING

+Just pleasing to the eye

Negatives:

-The blades did looked very real, but they look nothing like the ones in the movies (like in RvD) and there is no familiarity to George Lucas's original lightsabers

-Pacing didn't match, like walking slowly towards eachother, and then flipping out on eachother (either emotions don't match, or you both need to see Anger Management Counselors)

-Punches and kicks didn't quite look real

-Grunts and other noises made by Micheal and Ryan were EXTREMELY exaggerated

Overall, very good performance, and I look forward to RvD3.

21. TKTODD

TKTODD Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 19, 2005
    Awesome job guys!! Great effects! Your hard work paid off.

22. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    I enjoyed it.

23. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    That definitely does N O T go on the "minus" side. The sabers in the prequels were atrocious. Even the sabers in the OT were better, even if we would "forgive" them more being done so long ago, optically.

Btw, is the saber-hitting-michaels-face practical or CG? If it's CG it's very well done (yay Pixel?). If it's practical, it's very well done for quite different reasons ;)

/Z

24. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    I've got to disagree on these points. Or at least clarify, I don't imagine Ryan or Dorkman were at all intending the sabers to look like the ones from the movies, because as fairly commonly thought at least around here, a lot of people really don't like the ones from the movies. This isn't about George Lucas or Star Wars, so that's not really an issue.

The walking slowly into fast action must be fully intended and pulled off very well i thought. The slow walking is just the tension building part where you know they're going to go crazy, I think it works perfectly and is quite a commonly used scenario.

I also thought the grunts and stuff like that came off way better than a lot of other fanfilms, sometimes in film they're really unconvincing, I didn't find that to be the case in RvD2 though.

25. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Gotta say: that's easily among the top five best videos I've *ever* seen on the Internet. RVD2 raises the bar on everything.

Congratulations :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.