main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***RVD2: RYAN VS DORKMAN II -- RELEASE THREAD (SPOILERS!)***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    That was cool. I dug it. :D

I liked the way it started off very similar to the first, but then really brought on some excellent new ideas on how to incorporate the environment.

One of my favorite memories of seeing a Star Wars film was the very beginning of Phantom Menace. For the very first time, we got to see what would happen if you jabbed a saber through solid metal and started cutting. So I was really happy to see you guys go totally crazy with that effect. And you did a phat job with it at that. Nice detail on showing the scarred wall in the background shots.

btw: I took the liberty of updating the record in the database to reflect the film having been released. Please send over any other changes you'd like to see.

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    BTW durb, your spoiler text is visible through the highlight for some reason.

EDIT: Actually everyones are. Very subtley. They're showing through at a light greyish color for some reason.

3. JediCow

JediCow Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    I actually didn't see RvD until the announcement for RvD2 was made and I saw everyone was so excited, and to be honest I found it a little "meh." It was a pretty cool duel, and the choreography and effects were nice, but I just didn't understand why everyone seemed to love it so much, nor did I understand the excitement for RvD2. After seeing the preview I was looking forward to it, but wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing. After seeing it, I am in fact blown away. The cinematography was incredible, as were the choreography, effects, and humor, as everyone has already said. The humor gave this a Temple of Doom feel for me, one minute we're laughing at your anitcs, the next we're aghast as our hero is being tortured. When you guys were fighting under that grate I was amazed. The arm lock and you two twisting around was incredible. The ending truly shocked me, I never saw the dismemberment coming, nor did I expect Ryan to so evilly drive the sword into Dorkman, just amazing. You guys have sold me on the behind the scenes DVD, I hope there will be a detailed look at the effects. The final thing I have to say is that I think it's the coolest thing ever that Dorkman's name is Michael Scott.

4. rigon

rigon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2006
    Once again great work.

One thing that bugged me though, was the feelng that it was choreographed. Which it was of course but the clashes were so swift so it really didn't feel like you guys hit each other.

Besides that, INCREDIBLE!

I do know that you guys have put your lightsabers on the shelf for a while. But whats next? What are you plans on future films?

5. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Uhm. I think their budget was over $100. In fact, I'm sure of it. I would be interested to hear about the budgeting though. I think it would give good context to how much effort was involved and how much these things actually cost.

-Spiff

6. rigon

rigon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2006
    Oh darn, typo! I'm sorry, I meant $100 million *cough* ILM seem to eat money. =O

7. stevend

stevend Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    That was Poppin =D=

8. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    The people at the office were entertained, impressed, laughing and smiling the whole time.

[face_dancing]

-Spiff

9. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    It's clearly a huge step forward from the first one in every technical aspect. I think as far as the individual ideas go, its not quite on par with RvD. Maybe I'll change my mind, the wall fight was really awesome. The greatest part is that RvD2 managed to be genuinely surprising. I don't think it is the best lightsaber fight ever, or unbeatable, but really the fact that I have to say "not the best ever" is a compliment because it is up there. Well done chaps.

10. StickGuyProductions

StickGuyProductions Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2007
    I can't even watch the version from Stage6. It gets really choppy and the sound goes way out of synch when it does that. Anyway you could post a medium res version for some of us?

11. LordPAK

LordPAK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2006
    LOVED the effects, the lightsaber in the water (heck you even did a ripply reflection...) leaving the sparks behind...the 'slash' on the floor at dorkman to throw sparks at him, all the gouges and gashes on the machine near the end...how did you do those?!?

also...rotoing the sabers through the grate (first part) must've been hell o_O as well as making all the spark showers...

overall, stupendous effects :D love the way that nobody really ended up superior, and you managed to put in some great original moves too. only thing i could criticise is that it sorta lacks the original RvD's 'shock factor'...but that's sorta the norm for such an anticipated film...:)

12. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    [image=http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/rvd2.jpg]

7000+ views in half a day, top ratings ... coool! ;)

/Z

13. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Thanks man.

Yeah, but unlike RvD this film had a considerable budget. Not many people that want to make a saber fight have access to such locations, nor do they have the funds for such cameras, score, and everything else they spent money on. RvD raised the bar because it was a simple fight that was done with hard work, and it didn't require the finances RvD2 did. Not to say RvD2 wasn't done with hard work ;).

14. jd7

jd7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2003
    Dear Ryan and Dorkman,

Your second film is really cool, it blew me away like the first. I remember back in 2002 when I started to get into fan films and seeing your first duel in 2003 really got me going. I'm really impressed with the light saber work in this film, once again that little extra detail you guys did sure paid off. The melting shots by the sabers are also great, look very realistic. I downloaded the HD version and wow, it looks awesome, the Panasonic HVX200 sure did an excellent job! Finally there's the score in your film, very nice, I watch Battlestar Galatica and really noticed the similarities between the music on there and yours in RVD2. Can't wait for a 3rd!

15. Augie-Ben-Doggie

Augie-Ben-Doggie Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2004
    Just finnished watching the HD version with my Power DVD player. ( didn't need the DIVX player to see it ). I was very impressed from start to finnish. Great character development as the fight progressed. The fight actually had me on the edge of my seat, something not easily done to me. I thought the coolest thing of the film was seeing Scott and Ryans roto work on the sabres in HD. The sabre slashes in the wall's ect.. were very convincing. My only complaint was the severed arm. The lighting on the wound didn't match the lighting on the footage well enough, and I thought the textures on the wounds needed a bit more work to really sell the effect. A little smoke would have been great comming off the severed parts aswell, but anyway, thats a minor complaint. I still enjoyed that part.

I wish more fanfilms were made with this kind of quality. I give this film 5 out of 5 stars in my book.

16. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Noice.

The best was the acting by Dorkman. I also liked the parts where you guys were fighting.

17. Blazefresh2

Blazefresh2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2006
    I feel that RVD2 was alot more violent than RVD , like the part where dorkamn is on the wall , and ryan is repeatedly hitting him , also the arm and the slice.

Great job , loved every part.

18. Z28Jerry

Z28Jerry Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2004
    Nice job, guys. I liked the fact that you kept alot of non-saber physical action going the entire time.

So, ah, you gonna make a tutorial for this? LOL.

If you do a third one it will need to have Ryan, Dorkman, and Brandon in it.

19. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    To all those asking whether or not the saber hitting Dorkman in the face is practical or CG...it is CG. It's one of my shots. I also did the shot of the saber being kicked off the wall and back into Dorkman's hand. This is the CG saber hilt I made for it. I of course made it with too much detail, and it's never seen this close on screen, but I thought you guys might like to see it. Oh, and Zap, it's all Mental Ray :cool:.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/PixelMagic/dorkman_saber-3.jpg]

EDIT:Typo on graphic.

20. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Minor Mistake:

[image=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/81f6497ba5.jpg]

Shouldn't the name be capitalized like the others? 8-}

21. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Man I love that design. I'd love to make it into a Luxeon saber but don't want to steal someone else's design.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Great work on that Pixel - didn't look like CGI at all!

23. Augie-Ben-Doggie

Augie-Ben-Doggie Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2004
    Did you use HDRI for the lighting on that CG sabre or did you setup some lights for it?

24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Is that how you spell your surname? :p

25. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    Which is why i said:
    Pixel -- awesome work...i truely couldn't tell when watching w/out knowing. ^5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.