main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ryan Howard beats Albert Pujols for the NL MVP

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Armenian_Jedi, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    story

discuss this abomination in this thread.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm sure Pujols is heartbroken, especially with the way his season ended.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    St Louis finished the regular season very poorly, that may have cost Pujols the award. Still, I think Pujols should have won.

4. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Eh, can you really call it an abomination?

Howard did have a heck of a year. He led the league in homers AND RBI, and .313 is a pretty darned nice average for a power-hitter.

Heck, as far as importance to his team goes, i'd have ranked Berkman ahead of Pujols, too, though it IS tough to argue that Pujols isn't the best hitter in the league.

MVP voting is so touchy. Each year, a different argument could be valid. So much politics.

5. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I totally agree, yes Pujols won the World Series and had a great season but the end of his season was sub-par while Howard straight dominated all season.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I think winning it all is much more important for a player, than an MVP award is. Plus, Pujols won it last year, so he shouldn't be complaining.

7. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    No way Ron Howard was more valuable than Don Most on the Happy Days All-Star team.

8. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004

Yes.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    THANK YOU!

I'm sick of hearing about players' importance to their teams without a single mention of Berkman! Honestly, imagine where the Astros would stand without him. I can tell you for sure they wouldn't have contended for the postseason.

10. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    Berkman is very important to the Astros. But more important than Pujols to the Cards? I think not. Now quit being such a homer

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Edit: Disregard.

12. RealMadrid

RealMadrid Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 28, 2005
    You guys all know that MVP voting is strictly based on their season performance. It has nothing to do with the playoffs or whether or not your team wins the World Series. Ryan Howard had a monster year, leading the majors in HR and RBI as well as batting .313. He definitely deserved to win the MVP. In my mind the NL MVP was between these 3 players.

Ryan Howard: 104 R, 58 HR, 149 RBI, .313 AVG, 1.084 OPS
    Albert Pujols:119 R, 49 HR, 137 RBI, .331 AVG, 1.102 OPS
    A. Soriano: 119 R, 46 HR, 95 RBI, .277 AVG, 0.911 OPS, 41 SB

After looking at the actual voting and seeing Soriano come in 6th behind Berkman, Beltran, and Cabrera as well as the two who fought it out it seems that Soriano's low AVG and OPS numbers could have hurt him. Anyway, I'm glad that Ryan Howard won the award. He was extremely valuable to the Phillies last year.

13. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    Go to the MLB thread where you are proven wrong.

14. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Albert had a career year this year. Even with missing 16 games, he still had better numbers than ever before in his career. And Howard had a FAR better second half than first. The voters only looked at August and September, obviously. Those numbers above us prove it. Except HR's and RBI's, Albert beat Howard. Abomination is an approprite word here, IMO.

15. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    It was a tough call this year that could have gone either way. I am glad Howard won, as he brought baseball excitement back to Philadelphia this summer.

16. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    Nah, there was only one way to go and it didn't go that one way.

17. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Actually, no, deciding on the MVP is part objective (numbers) and part subjective (importance to team). There is no objectively right or wrong decision. Reasonable people can disagree as to who it is. This year, the majority of the voters felt it was Howard.

18. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    It's also common sense which voters haven't had m,uch of the last few years.

19. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Do you include last year, when Pujols did win it, Ian?

Simply put, if Pujols hadn't missed that substantial chunk of the playoffs, I'm sure his stats would have outshined Howard's and he would have won. Especially, considering that the Cardinals actually made it to the playoffs, and actually owned the W.S.

I'm glad that if Pujols didn't win it, that Howard did. :)

20. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    I include last year as one of the years but not voting for Pujols, no. Don't go around telling me the voters can't be perfect either. Honestly it's not that hard to look at all around stats and see who's better.

Read it and weep.

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I honestly don't follow the NL that much, but I think Howard's numbers as a sophomore, and the impact he had on the Abreu-less Phillies making a run for a playoff spot were remarkable.

Good to know it was close, regardless of who won, and that now the National League is going to have some clean, true, young sluggers to overshadow that **** heap Barry Bonds.

I believed Willie Randolph should have been considered for NL Manager, and I thought Beltran would get more respect for his season in the MVP voting, as well, although fourth was OK. Oh well, I'll stick to the AL.

22. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Geeze, Pujols fans. The world isn't going to end because Albert didn't win this season. I'm sure he'll win more MVPs before he's done.

Besides, you got the bloody World Series!

What else do you need?

23. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    No the world isn't over. It's just an abomination. Nobody is saying Howard didn't have a good season and try and carry his team to the playoffs. But Pujols DID carry his team to the playoffs on his back. They barely won their division. And they only won it because of him.

We're also just showing the stats to back up our statements. The voters ****** up it's that simple. Rather the Cards won the WS or not this is still an abomination.

NOTE: This isn't perticularly(sp?) directed to you Drew but everybody.

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I wouldn't put all of the Cardinals success on Pujols back, Kast. He's surrounded with a much better team overall, particularly in batting dept.

I understand your frustration, and I'm not saying that there is a clear winner out of the two. However, I'm not going to cry foul on Howard, because he was a deserving candidate.

25. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    So uh without Pujols coming back the Cards make the playoffs? Is that what you're telling me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.