main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RYAN vs DORKMAN 2 (More Screenings and DVD extras!)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ryan_W, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Choson_1

The_Choson_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2005

...:eek:...[face_hypnotized]...[face_thinking]

2. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    [image=http://www.threadartist.com/images/rooster-embroidery-designs-16505.jpg]

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You miss the point.

Neither Ryan nor I believe that RvD is the best-choreographed video there is, or can be. If we did, we wouldn't bother with RvD2 since we'd have already achieved perfection. But to claim that he doesn't understand RvD's popularity based on other fights, those fights must be readily available and easily viewable, right?

If not, there's one reason for you. The main reason, most likely. People have seen RvD and they haven't seen the other ones. The fact that it has lightsabers has almost certainly made it stand above other fights with more standard weapons, as well. Particularly to people who don't see it every day.

Additionally, since we're trying to beat RvD, it stands to reason that viewing other projects at the same or better level of RvD would be helpful to the process. So if they're out there, I'd like to see them. Hence my request for links.

M. Scott

4. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Uhm... "You don't know the power of the dork side"?

/Z

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    http://sabrecomp.com - entry 13 ;)

Nah seriously, I still think Art of the Saber is ten times as good as RvD. At least if one only looks at choreography and execution.
    I might agree that RvD is the best duel video out there all-in-all, with the cinematography and effects. Fighting-wise it is not IMHO.
    I guess that's the main problem with most duels. They either have great fighting, or great effects. Hardly ever both at the same time.

Anyway. I gave this advice to you in an earlier thread, but I'll give it to you again, cos I think it's a good one; choreograph the feet. It is as important as the blade work in a good fight and it's the main thing that's missing in the first one.

Oh, and you should really call this video R2vD2 :p

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    In all honesty, I'll take RvD over AOTS because RvD is much more Star Warsy. Also, whenever I watch AOTS, it seems like they're not really fighting, the blades don't look like the have, and everyone's going to jump on my case about this one, weight. I know, sabers don't way anything yada, yada, yada, but in RvD, it really looks, and sounds, like they are hitting freaking hard with powerful weapons. It just seems more real in that sense. Also, AOTS is too wushu Hong Kong cinema for my taste. And then there was that whole civil war letter thing at the beginning, which honestly takes me out of it. I'd rather just see two guys fighting in te woods with no explanation.

But that's just my 2 cents.

7. Petyamester

Petyamester Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2005
    I think we shouldn't argue about what the best video / saberfight is. Every piece has it's beauty, own atmosphere and of course it's negatives. Like art of the saber is so different than RvB. Everyone could tell what's his/her favorite is, but not the "best". And if there's more positives than negatives in a film, i always make myself forgot about the negatives and see it's good side, and i will do this with RvD2 too. So i won't say this or that is better than the other.

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh, yeah totally, I'm not saying RvD's the best, or even better than AOTS, I'm just saying I like RvD more.

9. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Account suspended, FYI. Are you mirrored anywhere?

10. DarkSavior

DarkSavior Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2006
    Good luck with your film. Make sure to tell Dorkman that "YOu shall not pass" gandolf :)

Seriously. All the best of luck to you guys and the most important HAVE FUN!

11. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Execution I can give you in terms of the physical capability of the performers. And I love wushu style fighting. But as choreography goes, I personally have never been a huge fan of AOTS, mainly because to me it never, at any point, feels like a fight. It's got a lot of cool ideas and the performers make the moves look good, but there's never any real feeling of either one of them genuinely trying to kill the other. In fact there's quite a few points where I feel the opportunity is open and it's not taken for the sake of flair.

Not to say RvD isn't probably guilty of the same thing here and there, but that's one of the balances we hope to strike better with RvD2.

M. Scott

12. Petyamester

Dec 6, 2005
    TigerCraneFist, is that one from the LCC 3? Where the guy fights with himself with a really really n00b choreography slashing the tv and the door?
    If that is, then it can be found here:
    http://hosted.filefront.com/TFNFanFilms/1360445

13. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    It was actually AotS that made me want to get into lightsaber effects. I think AotS and RvD are both fantastic fight sequences, both fought with different styles of fighting. And both keep my full attention throughout, which is the desired effect when creating a fight sequence. Kudos to both parties.

As for RvD2, as someone was saying "why the hype?". For me, RvD and AotS are the best fanfilm lightsaber fight scenes I have ever seen, and for me, when one of them wants to make a sequal, like Dorkman said, they're trying to top what the previously had. So when someone is trying to top one of the bests, it should make for a very enjoyable 5 minutes.

14. Naurm

Naurm Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2005
    No, it's his and DarthCarl's entry from LCC4.

15. Petyamester

Dec 6, 2005
    Oh, ok, sry. But it was fun anyways. :D

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ah, darn, didn't know that. Unfortunately it's not mirrored no, and I don't have it on this computer. I'll try to upload it sometime this week, and I'll PM you :)

Ah, well, fair enough. I can see your points, but I don't really agree, but that's a matter of opinion.

17. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    it's weird but my favorite fight(not saying its the best) is
    Ryan Vs Brandon. I dont know why, I just do. Well, actually I really like Brandon's fighting style, and green sabers are my favorite, so that has to do with it somewhat.

Ryan Vs Dorkman is a CLOSE, oh so close, second.

Im sure the sequel will beat the first one. It has every opportunity to.

Good luck!!!!

18. WeirdHat

WeirdHat Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2003
    [face_plain]

19. Semi-DarkLord90

Semi-DarkLord90 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2004
    You are not alone... I thought I was too.

I'm not a big fan of AotS, but oh well.

-Semi

20. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    I ment like what state?

21. Cramer

Cramer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Read the thread.

Use common sense.

22. Krintar

Krintar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Way to ask a question that was answered in this very thread as far back as was possible.

23. Catp

Catp Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 26, 2005
    Atlanta Georgia. I am about 2 hours away and would love to help out if needed.

24. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002

My sentiments exactly, Hat. I still think it was well executed for the tools on hand.

25. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Wow... mad props for that.

Aww, so no Burly Brawl-esque stuff, even after your Clone Fight effects tests a few years back that you didn't get around ti finishing? A shame.
    There's been hype around here about an RvD2 since long before RvD hit the Internet proper. The hype is because these are two big names on the forum who made something that was extremely good for its time, and we hope that they can surpass that this time around.

I won't make any suggestions; you guys know how to make your own film. I'll just eagerly await :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.