main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ryshcate

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Admiral_Lelila, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    When I made my Christmas fruitcakes this year, I couldn't help but notice the similarities between Ryshcate and Fruitcake.
    It makes you look at Fruitcake with a new respect!!!!
    BTW I only give Fruitcake to people who appreciate good "Ryshcate"

2. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
  3. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Personally I think I'd enjoy good ryshcate better than good fruitcake, but I guess it would depend on the fruitcake. ;) Ryshcate just sounds yummy.

4. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    "Ryshcate just sounds yummy"

Thats cause it has whiskey in it :D

5. ash_shack_II

ash_shack_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2001
    Hey, somebody needs to come up with a recipe for ryshcate. I've always wanted some of that stuff.

6. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Actually, my grandmother made some absolutely wonderful rumcake (nevermind that I'm somewhat underage), complete with walnuts on the top... reminds me a bit of vweliu nuts and Whyren's Reserve in ryshcate. Mmm... I think I'll go have some more. ;)

7. amarice77

amarice77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2001
    Funny...I can never imagine ryshcate without picturing a slab of scrumptious chocolate brownie drenched in whiskey and scattered with almonds....yummm.............*drooling*

8. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    We could use Sticks grandmother's rumcake recipe and add Irish whiskey to replace Whyren's Reserve.

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    If the rum was added before the cake was baked, it doesn't matter. If it was added after, well, it is the holidays.

The only similarities I see between Ryshcate and fruitcake is that it's a cake, with nuts, and an alcohol is used in it's making. Ryshcate, however, does not appear to have fruit in it. It also appears that the alcohol used is added to the batter and baked, thus lending it's flavor, but being baked out in the proscess. While the same can hold true with fruitcake and alcohol (I've heard of folks using rum, brandy, or whisky to make it so I'm generalizing), you also have folks who will douse it afterwards. I'm not sure how much alcoholic content there is to a cake that's been bathed in whatever the alcohol of choice, but it's bound to be higher than that which has had it as a part of the mixture prior to baking.

Coincidentally, after the last time I made French Toast, despite the baking, I'd be likely to get you drunk on fruitcake that had alcohol added to the mixture before hand. And if you didn't get drunk off it, I'd suggest you make sure you didn't get pulled over cause it would sure smell like you'd been drinking. I may not drink, but I certainly cook with the stuff.

10. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    Actually, BC (before children) I would use rum in the batter of my fruitcakes but I don't add it anymore. The flavor isn't the same but I don't feel right about giving the kids alcohol.

11. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Sticks...Im a huge cook...do you think that you could post your grandmother's recipe here??? That sounds so yummy..and I can call it Rhystcate..

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Ryshcate, Traditional
    1 1/2 cups cake flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    4 eggs
    4 to 6 tablespoons dark Corellian ale (or 3 tablespoons lum extract)
    Confectioners' sugar for dusting

1. Preheat the heating apparatus to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter and flour a 6-cup Bothan Bundt pan.

2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, then set aside.

3. In another bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until blended.

4. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beating until blended, then beat in the remaining dry ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove if from the pan and cool completely.

6. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

Ryshcate, Corellian Variant
    8 ounces unsweetened cocholate
    2 teaspoons instant coffee
    2 teaspoons lum
    2 tablespoons boiling water
    4 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon anvilla extract
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 cup heavy cream
    One 10-ounce package frozen strawberries in light syrup, thawed
    One pint anvilla ice cream
    One pint fresh berries

1. Preheat the heating apparatus to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter and flour an 8-inch round loose-bottomed cake pan.

2. Melt the cochlate and allow it to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Place the melted cocholate into a mixing bowl and blend in the instant coffee, lum, and boiling water.

3. Break the eggs into a second mixing bowl. Whisk in the vanilla extract. In a third bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar into the egg mixture. Using an electric beater, beat the egg mixture until it is about double its original volume, that should take about 4 minutes.

4. In a mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream until it is stiff and stands in peaks. Combine the cocholate mixture with the egg mixture. Then fold in the whipped cream. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 1 hour, or until the center of the cake is fully cooked.

5. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a rack.

Corellian Topping
    6. Meanwhile, puree the defrosted berries in a food processor or blender until you have a sauce.

7.Cut the cake into slices. Place some of the berry sauce on serving plates and shake the plates until you have a thin coating of the sauce covering most of the plate. Put a piece of the cake onto the sauce. Put a scoop of the ice cream on the cake and garnish each slice with the fresh berries.

lizzpercush likes this.
  13. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    Thanks for the receipes Genghis-12.

14. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    Ryshcate brings to mind the Scottish Christmas pudding my Grandma makes. It's pretty normal, but there's some Pagan tradition that's followed in eating it. After supper on Christmas, we turn out the lights, and then she pours brandy all over the cake and lights the brandy on fire, so you can see the blue flame all around in the dark.
    I never had any of it, because well, I'm crazy enough without alcohol, and because I don't like the flavour of the cake.

15. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Actually, BC (before children) I would use rum in the batter of my fruitcakes but I don't add it anymore. The flavor isn't the same but I don't feel right about giving the kids alcohol.

Actually, I think most of the alcohol would be avaporated by the cooking process, lending only the rum's flavor to the confection.

16. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Kier's right, any alcohol added to a cake batter (or any other thing that's going to be cooked for that matter) will tend to cook off, leaving it's flavor behind. Cooks on PBS, and my parents, taught me that one. But I still say my last batch of French toast could have gotten someone drunk.

17. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Once again, Genghis comes to the rescue.

18. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Can I get Corellian ale at the liquor store?

No? Then how am I supposed to follow your recipe? :p

//substitutes with beer

This Ryshcate tastes horrible. [face_plain]

19. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I'm so disappointed, no one got me any Scotch for Christmas this year. :( Last year I got a 12 year old Glenmorangie Sherry Wood Finish, and this year I was hoping for a 15 year old Glenkeith. Now I have to buy it for myself.

20. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Genghis...do me a favor...where did you GET that recipe? The Star Wars cookbook? Is it right next to Wookie Cookies and I somehow missed it?

21. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    The Ryshcate recipe isn't in the Wookie Cookie Cookbook nor is it in the Darth Maul Cookbook. But it is an interesting recipe.
    My family is preparing for our Star Wars New Year's Eve party and we have been looking at the cookbooks. We alway have Yoda Sodas and play "Star Wars" Monopoly.

22. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    sigh, I wish my family was obsessed with Star Wars. but then, they are all very understanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.