main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY S/F Costume Social ???

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    If we choose to contribute to the Con, is this something we would like to organize and or host? See my post in the Slanted Fedora's Rochester Con - Jeremy Bulloch Thread. If so, who wants to help with it. Any thoughts or ideas?

2. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Whoo hoo! I'm all about costumes! :)

Would it be just a social? It might be neat to have props and things built by people on display as well. That would definitly help break the ice and spark some conversations. It's an idea.

And will there be food at this social? hehee...

3. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Like I said, doing something we know and love. I knew you would get all excited once you got around to reading that. It will be a Hello, how are you, look what I made, nice blaster, how did you make that, sort of thing. Yeah, props as well. Yes, you can bring your big blasters. Its all about showing off what you have and what you know so you can pass it on to others. It will be our chance to mingle with Klingons, vampires, Neo wannabe's and all the other like minded weirdo's that show up. I can see many many group pictures. Lots of camera flashing people. Someone is going to be the center of attention I am sure, if she is able to attend. It will turn into the HothGirl Fashion show. Lots of potential if we do this. You guys just had to go and get me hooked on this costume thing. I want more costumes darn it. And I want to do this now. Can't wait for Parade. Can not build blaster fast enough.

4. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    That sounds cool! However.... I don't speak Klingon 8-}.

5. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I think we have 2 in our group who do......... LOL

6. DARKSIDER03

DARKSIDER03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2003
    YOU'LL FIND THE FORCE HAS A STRONG EFFECT ON THE WEAK MINDED.
    WEAK MINDED KLINGONS ARE...

HOPEFULLY, A "GRAND ARMY" OF STAR WARS FANS WILL OVER TAKE THIS YEARS CON!

(hAH!! NO OFFENSE INTENDED TOWARDS THE FEDERATION OF PLANETS ER AND SO FORTH...)

IT'S GOOD TO BE FREINDLY & COOPERATIVE WITH ALL SCI-FI FANS FROM OTHER GENRE...

BUT IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO SEE DENIZENS FROM MY GALAXY SHOW A GREATER PRESCENCE AT THIS YEARS EVENT!

WHOA! "CONCENTRATE, FEEL THE FORCE"
    "CONTROL I MUST USE CONTROL"
    "CONTROL MY EMOTIONS I MUST..."

I'M EXCITED ALREADY!

7. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Wouldn't it be funny if Lucas put a Klingon in EpIII? hehehe
    I actually had a dream about that... and it was quite weird but very cool how the two galaxies were connected.

Anyway, sorry bout that off-topic comment 8-}

8. Padawan_adri

Padawan_adri Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 14, 2001
    and I can do the vamp thing ;) :p

9. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Dave Scott's looking for a couple more details for the Costume Social...
    He was wondering how many tables will be needed in the room? I think it might depend on how many props people have to display. I was picturing the room with tables lining the walls and people gathered in the middle of the room. Most of the tables would be for props, but one would be for various relevant flyers and one might be for food.
    I forgot to ask Dave about food, but I have a feeling though that we'd probably have to pay for it ourselves if we want it though.

~Doc_Bev

10. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Its kind of hard to say. We have to guess how many people we know with props that would want to participate. There is at least 3 FF groups, maybe a few outside members of rebel legion and the 501. And thats just Star Wars. I am thinking one table to Promote the rebellion and fan force. Another for RL and 501. Some where around 6-8 maybe. Maybe thats to many. For food a bunch of cookies and a couple bowls of punch maybe. Something like that I guess. I imagine the room with props and stuff displayed as well with Fan Force and other group info. open throughout the day. At a certain time for maybe 2 hours or so, Costumed and non costumed Convention attendees will converge in that room to see the grand spectacle. To mingle with other fans. Not just sit and watch but to interact. Learn some tricks of the trade, network and meet new friends of common interest. Take some photos and have fun. People can come and see and hear that it is not as difficult as they once thought. Maybe there could be a couple specific planned discussions at a certain area of the room. Some kind of Demo maybe. I would like to find out how much room we could have. I would like to try and contact other local people who do other things besides Star Wars and Star Trek. I know we have some in the Rebellion. We will have to discuss all of this of course at the June meeting.

11. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I don't think 6-8 tables seems like too many. I did ask Dave for a floor plan and/or walk-through of the facility - I'm just not sure when that will happen. When it does though that will determine how much room we could have for things like the Costuming Social. I think The Rebellion's table (as well as other fan clubs who are interested in being near the Costuming room) will probably be just outside the room. For club/costumers promotion inside the room I was just picturing a single table with everyones various flyers and/or business cards on it.

Cookies and punch sound good for food. I'll just have to double check that the facility allows us to serve our own food and if it has to be of a certain type (i.e. store bought versus homemade).

When you mentioned taking photos that made me think that we might want to make specific arrangements for that so that it is done orderly and doesn't get out of hand. Maybe have a special sci-fi backdrop against one wall (or maybe even out in the hallway to attract people to the room). Then people or groups of people can pose there for a few minutes at a time so that everyone has a turn and keeps it from becoming a mob scene. I know at some cons you put a bunch of the 501st together and photographers start gathering and then before you know it there's this whole mob of people that no one can get around.

For demos I know we were thinking of face painting or something similar for kids (or adults who are so inclined). But, certainly more could be done.

In additition to discussing this at The Rebellion meeting, I think I'd also like to have this thread on RochesterFandom so that everyone can be on the same "page" who would like to participate. Later on today I'll start a thread summarizing what's been discussed in this thread so far and on the Tranquility boards and then hopefully more people will join in and we can get this rolling.

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.