main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends S is for Spatula (OC's) Humor. Updated 4/25!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Title: S is for Spatula
    Author: Layren
    Characters: Kyran, Shane and Qui-Gon.
    Summary: A padawan's attempt to get off probation ends in disaster.
    Author's Note: Many thanks to Fluff-Slayer who gave me the bunny and let me run with it :D
    Kyran Josel and Drex Rixar belong to me. Please ask before using them. Shane Callister and Master Zephir belong to Neon Star and I am borrowing them with her permission. Qui-Gon belongs to George Lucas.
    I did not have this beta'ed so all of the mistakes are my own. I've probably missed a bunch. If you see any send me a pm and I'll correct it :D

Edits -- for coding and other errors.

S is for Spatula

"Ky, I don't think you're doing it right," the seven-year-old commented peering into the frying pan his bondmate was attempting to use on the stove.

"I know how to flip an egg, Qui-Gon," the padawan said through clenched teeth.

"Are you sure you don't need any help?" Shane watched his bondmate struggle with the egg he was attempting to fry.

"No, thank you, Shane. I can manage on my own."

There was a long silence, interrupted only by the sizzle of the eggs, which were still stuck to the bottom.

"Ky, Master Zephir usually uses one of these," Qui-Gon said, pulling out the spatula.

"Well, I'm using this," Kyran said holding up his spoon and waving it threateningly in his direction.

"It was just a suggestion, Kyran," Shane commented, putting his arms protectively around Qui-Gon and pulling him away from the wrath of Kyran's spoonula which was dripping grease down the edge.

"Suggest somewhere else, you're ruining my concentration," Kyran said absently as he fought to flip the egg with his rounded spoon.

The two onlookers fell silent for a moment, watching with varying degrees of alarm as their bondmate struggled with his soupy opposition (which was beginning to look less and less like an egg).

The egg was beginning to reach new heights of discoloration as it continued to stick to the bottom of the pan. Kyran was gritting his teeth as he struggled to get the egg to flip.

The silence was broken as the pan went flying, clattering to the floor and the burnt remains finally tugged free and landed with a plop on the countertop.

"Sithspit."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My life is over."

"Your life isn't over, Ky," Shane's voice was sympathetic even as he patted his bondmate on the arm. "It was just a mistake."

"My life is a mistake," he moaned theatrically. "I forgot to grease the pan," he said burying his face in his hands.

Master Rixar's voice interrupted them. Holding up the remains of the mess, which was on the counter he said, "What happened padawan?"

Kyran's face flushed. "I was trying to make you an egg for breakfast, Master," he said sheepishly.

Drex was touched that his padawan had gone to all that effort for him. He came around to kneel down by his apprentice who was radiating his misery for all to feel. He put a hand on the boy's shoulders. "Padawan, I'm touched you went to all the effort for me."

I wonder if he still remembers that I'm grounded, Kyran thought, putting on a brave face and nodding.

"Nevertheless, " the master paused and looked at Kyran with what his padawan called his "master" look. "You're still grounded."

"Sithspit."

2. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Haha, I love suckups! I do wonder, had he been successful, if his Master would have forgotten easier...

Must learn to cook next time parents get mad...

3. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    I'll second that "Sithspit". Burnt, sticking eggs aren't any fun at all. Not to mention that they apparently give your family/friends a warrant to make fun of you for days.

Days, I tell you! Days! Honestly...

Lovely job, lady. [face_laugh]

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    LOL, great way to start my morning Layren. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was JUST what I needed this moring to bring a smile to my face! [face_laugh]

6. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    :p Nice little happiness fic.

-DS

7. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    *grins*

Ky and I may fight, but I *love* Shane, Laurie.

Cute cute cute! ^^

8. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    *giggles* Poor Ky... I know just how he feels, except I do tend to use a spatula when cooking. Stuff still sticks to my pans... I really need to get new ones.:rolleyes: Great little viggie, Layren! Just the thing I need to help me enjoy my spring break. :D

Stormqueen

9. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    "Ky, Master Zephir usually uses one of these," Qui-Gon said, pulling out the spatula.

"Well, I'm using this," Kyran said holding up his spoon and waving it threateningly in his direction.

[face_laugh]

Poor Kyran...all that effort and he's still grounded. :p

That was so cute and funny, Layren! [face_love]

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I so sympathize with him! I forget to grease stuff all the time and end up burning stuff! :(

Great job, and a well needed laugh! [face_laugh]

11. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    Something about the word Sithspit makes me giggle. Poor, stubborn Kyran. I can see the look on his face with that last line!

12. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Bobill Don't ya though? Can't blame Ky for trying :D Makes me wonder too, but knowing Drex, doubt it :p Thanks for reading!

Fluff-Slayer Well, seeing as you have original first-hand experience I guess you can say better than the rest of us that burnt eggs aren't a good thing ;) Thanks for letting me run with the idea!

Healer_Leona Gotta do my part to keep the mods happy,:p Glad I could bring a smile to your face. Thanks for reading!

VaderLVR64 Glad I could be of help! Thanks for reading.

Darksaber Glad you enjoyed it :) Thanks for reading!

Charmisjess Well glad you at least like one of our OC's after all :p Neon was very amused that you liked Shane better than Ky ;) Thanks for reading!

stormqueen874 I think most of us tend to use spatula's, Ky was just unsure of himself in the kitchen, which is not a good thing to be when you start messing around :D Thanks for reading!

amidalachick Yep! Poor kid, and now he has a mess to clean up to boot. :D Thanks for reading!

Miana Kenobi Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Ky always forgets :D, Why Shane lets him in the kitchen at all, we'll never know ;)

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Poor Ky indeed :p He's a suckup, that's for sure ;) Thanks for reading!

Author's Note: Instead of this being just a thread for a single vignette, Neon Star and I are going to use this thread to post the rest of our humor snippets from Days Like These here, to avoid having to derail our current thread and interrupt the flow of the current story. For those interested in the other thread it is here: Days Like These

13. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    That was cute! :)

I liked the master/padawan interaction between Drex and Kyran. It was nice to see. :)

14. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    I enjoyed that Layren - very cute!

Could you let me know when you update this thread? Thanks :)

15. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    bek Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Kestrel_Kenobi Will do!

This was inspired by oqidaun's OC prompt on OC Anonymous over in resource and it's pretty short but I didn't know where else to put it, so I decided to stick it here. :D

It was supposed to have been an easy dish,
    fourteen-year-old Kyran reflected staring at the ruined dish. He had followed the recipe exactly as the instructions said hadn't he? He perused the recipe again trying to figure out where he had gone wrong. Not only had he failed to cook dinner for his Master, to get in some practice at cooking after the last diastrous attempt where he had fried an egg, but he had some how managed to ruin pan and a spatula both. He had been taking cooking lessons and he had thought he was improving. Several times he had managed to produce something edible in his class and he was anxious to show his Master how much he had improved.

This latest disaster proved he still had a long way to go.

Just then Drex returned from his errand with the Council and blinked in surprise at finding his padawan standing amidst a dirty kitchen holding a ruined pan in one hand and a burnt spatula in the other. He raised an eyebrow inquisitively. "Padawan, what happened?"

"I'm not sure, Master," he replied staring at the ground. "But I think I have a long way to go before I can cook a full meal."

Drex privately agreed, unsure as to why the boy appeared to be hopeless at cooking. "That's alright padawan. I'll just order out dinner instead."

"You're not mad at me?" Kyran asked anxiously.

Drex smiled and tugged the boy's braid. "Of course not. It was partly my fault. I shouldn't have left you to do it by yourself."

Kyran smiled. At least his master wasn't mad at him. He was so relieved, he started on cleaning the dishes while his mentor went to order dinner from their favorite restaurant. "Promise me something, Master?"

Drex arched an eyebrow. "What's that padawan?"

"If I ever get the notion to cook something again, knock me out."

16. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    FIRST POST!!!

I mean.. *whistles shyly* what?

Awwwwww. A cute scene. :D

And yes, regarding your comment in your reply to my first review, Shane is pretty much the best. :D

Nice little ficcie! I'm so glad you updated! ^^ It's not over, is it? *pout*

[:D] Good work!

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    [face_laugh] Wonderful work! But I'm not surprised! ;)

18. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    [face_laugh]

"If I ever get the notion to cook something again, knock me out."

:D

Lovely post Layren!

[:D]

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Adorable. I'd love to see more of this.