main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC S.W.A.R.M.

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Stalker, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    Sudden Wave of Attacks by Random Messages. (S.W.A.R.M.)

Okay for those of you who were not at the meeting to hear this, I will be selecting a random FF or other board and we will be posting the same message at the same time. We will flood the boards for a brief moment and then leave as quickly as we came. You will have some degree of notice, say 24 hours, for when the next SWARM will take place but the board and the word or phrase to be posted will not be announced until 15 minutes prior to the SWARM.

As an example - if I said noon on Monday, you would need to revisit this thread sometime between 11:45-12:00 (all times given will be eastern time) on Monday to find out what board we would be posting on and the phrase to post. The idea here is to be uniform to have the greatest impact. Socks are welcome in the SWARM also.

Any questions? The first Swarm will be at 9:30 am Tuesday.

Hold up here and wait for my signal...

2. Luke_Trashtalker

Luke_Trashtalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2003
    ...to start your run.

3. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    and everyone playing will be banned after your second time for trolling and spaming

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    This all sounds like fun but its totally against the rules. I know of a collection of people who were banned for doing just that.

5. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Roger, I think everyone at the meeting was intrigued by your idea. :)
    I also think that, as was already mentioned, there is a possibility of it being deemed spamming. Perhaps a less spam-like approach might be something we could think up? ?[face_plain]
    I think, though, that everyone at White Flint yesterday agreed that posting on other boards as a way to maybe get other groups to do multi-group events with us is a sound idea. :)
    My first thought is to try to get members of the MD Fan Force to join us for events, since we seem to be better organized than they are. ;)
    Also, does VA have a Fan Force group?
    Maybe we could try to get them involved in larger outings?
    Just my 2¢, for what it's worth. :)

6. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Thanks for the input Jack. I will think of something and I honestly don't see why this would be considered spamming since we are actially talking to other people. I thought that swarming would be fun. Please let me know of any ideas you have. Now that I am back full time in the GS I'd like to see us more social on a national perhaps global level. :)

7. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    I was wondering if you were officially a member again, Roger. Now I have my answer. :) as for swarming, I didn't realize it was spamming so count me out. I'm sure we'll think of something else to generate more interest in the GS.

8. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Hi Liz! :)
    Like you, I didn't realize it would be considered spamming, either. [face_plain]
    But then again, it might depend on each board's moderator(s). We *might* be able to do it, with approval from a board's mods.
    I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment, but as I think of any, I'll be sure to post them here. :)

9. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Yes Liz, knowing that others would like to see it fall only makes me want to keep it alive and well that much more ;) Someone once told me "You lost man, deal with it" Oddly though when I look back we apparently weren't even playing the same game cause I've won.

10. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    well that's interesting.

11. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    This sounds really funny. But I believe that the MODs would smack us out of here and ban us in a minute. If we get yelled at for even calmly discussing two different opinions on the same subject, then we would get banned for this.

12. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Yikes... let's calm down a bit here, mmmkay?

I believe the interest in posting on other boards was to allow us to talk to people in other FFs and sort of 'branch out'. We have people from other FFs posting here so why can't we go to other FFs and post there?

Obviously spamming is against the TOC (and rightly so), but if we were to go to another board and strike up a conversation in their social thread there's nothing wrong with that.

Let's not let this get out of hand, okay?

13. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    /\ That is basically all I had intended to do your highness :)

14. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    calm? Calm. CALM!!!!

Ok. Can we go to another board and say start a discussion about cheese? Would that get us banned? We would talk about different cheeses on different boards.

15. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I like cheese.

Of course, I barely have time for my own boards.

16. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Well tomorrow morning I am going to go to another FF (haven't decided which one yet) and just say "hi" Where I come from that isn't spamming or trolling it is hospitality.

17. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Going into another forum and starting a conversation is a great idea - especially with another FanForce. However "posting the same message at the same time" is spamming, and then "leave as quickly as we came" is a tad rude.

18. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Agreed. I was thinking more along the lines of everyone popping in and posting Hi in a social forum (or maybe creating one if there isn't one already), then striking up conversation or whatever. Kind of like what the FFs are doing with the twin program.

19. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Okay, that will work. It won't be quiet as much fun (IMHO) but it sounds good. Any suggestions for who we socialize with tomorrow?

20. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, how about the German-Speaking FF :D

That'll be a one-sided conversation... yeah [face_plain]

21. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    I can say hi and count to ten in German. Heh.

22. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    /\ Ummm... that's great Valerie but wouldn't we think some one was pretty weird if they posted on the D. C. board.

"Hi. One. Two. Three. Four. Five..." :p

23. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I can get Ken to speak his fake German to them. It involves putting "strasse" on the end of things.

24. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Hey, that's the same way I speak Doshan ;)

25. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    It would be weird, but no weirder than most of the stuff that goes on around here... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.