main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Sabé, Queen's Decoy/Battle dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Neimhaille, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Woohoo! I created a topic;)

I didn't see a link to a thread in the Guide to the forum, so hopefully this isn't redundant, or if it is it should prompt a wee gentle prod/nod in the right direction;)

I suppose if we treat this like any other costume thread in terms of people who have made the costume share their advice and those who are asking for help to ask for help.

So, some links.

Costume specific:
    Padawan's Guide
    Fit for a Queen
    Image galleries:
    Royal Handmaiden galleries
    RHS screen cap gallery with shots of Sabe in costume
    RHS with screen caps of the battle for Naboo, featuring some with Sabe in costume

Fan costumes:
    German fan costume
    German fan costume worn at a convention
    Padawan's Guide page of fan costumes
    More fan costumes in Padawan's Guide

Shrines:
    Loyal Decoy, a Sabe Shrine
    We Are Brave, page on Sabe

Merchandise:
    You can use your nouse to work out how to search ebay;) I just realised one can't link to auctions here;)
    But some auctions might hhave a nice image of the action figures afterall.

I do have some links to sites showing pictures of the action figures, not selling them. But I'm not sure how that works in the rules thing of not linking to sites etc.

If any of the above links fits this, please do remove them and send me a pm saying which one was removed so I can remember it for next time;)

I'll be looking at the Jedi robes as the design seems to take some elements from this.

I also have the 12" doll and am getting the action figure sometime soon and will write up what they seem to suggest soon. Unless someone wants to do that already?

One thing I did note is the skirts look split down the sides on the action figure. Has anyone noticed this in the movie themselves? Does Sabe move enough on the right angle to see if this is the case?

The skirt does look to be a partial circle in shape, and I'll do some drapings on a doll to see just what gives the best results;)

Any other thoughts please share:)

Fabrics, layers etc... I'm just starting to look at this costume and would love to know what others have seen so far:)

To help with searches for posts: this is for Sabe or Sabé in the royal battle dress or outfit while Amidala or Padme (Padmé) wears the battle dress/outfit the other handmaidens wear.

2. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Neimhaille - I'm glad you started a topic. :)
    Sometime today I'll try and get my scanner hooked up and do some sketches to share how I did this costume.

I have a lot of fun wearing this costume and I found a pretty good way to secure the headpiece. You never know how secure a headpiece will be until you wear it in a parade with pouring rain and gusts of wind. ;)

Hopefully this thread will be helpful and it'll be great to see more people do this costume!

3. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    lol!

Sounds good:) I'm making sketches of my Mara Jade (Light Side) outfit to do that first, but I'm still looking at images etc for Sabe.

I wonder if there'll be a trilogy showing when the third movie comes out;) After the success of the LotR ones I mean....;)

Excuses to wear cossie you see;)

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    This looks great, Neimhaille. :)

This has been one of those costumes that I always thought would be really fun to do. I look forward to keeping track of your progress with it and exploring the sites of others who have already made it.

I'll add this thread to our index.

5. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Hey, maybe this thread will get me off my lazy butt and doing this costume. I love the dress, its the headpiece I'm afraid of >.<

Ami .^_^.

6. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    lol! Yeah the head piece looks fun;)

One of the links, the German lady I believe, suggests using chicken wire to shape the pieces then paper mache over that.

I'm thinking of my good old glue soaked felt for the headpiece actually.

ANd maybe test that modge podge I've been hearing such great things about;)

It may even be a good chance to buy some heat mouldable plastic to make the front piece from. The stuff I'm thinking of could form the ridges in itself too. Press it to a grill then wrap around the head;)

Woohoo! More people interested;)

I think the back of the dress, btw, is like the Clones cartoon Jedi robes. From the images I've seen it's a solid back piece (of the tabards in the Jedi) and the one screen cap I've seen if the sort-of back of the dress suggests the same.

Even if the 12" doll doesn't.

I found a link to the doll dressed and the clothes taken off to view from all angles.

I'll post it as soon as I find it again. It was a site on liberating dolls from their boxes;)

7. PlavaLaguna

PlavaLaguna Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2004
    Hi @all,

I´m the German with the Sabé costume. I´ve made some pics of the production, but it´s not much for my camera was broken at that time. :,-) Yes I used chicken wire for the head piece, but just for the golden part. The rest consists of a thin wood panel which was covered with papiermache (and hair and red fabric). I use papiermaché a lot, it works fine with the Queen´s headpieces and Orc armours too. ;-) I made my first Amidala costume headpiece of papiermaché too and plaster.
    But if I´m ever going to do something similar again, I´ll probably use the plastic stuff they use for stormtroopers (sorry, I don´t know what it´s called in English, in German it´s Epoxit Harz and Glasfasermatten) for usually it becomes to irregular if you use papiermaché. Even if it looks great when you´ve finished modelling, it may change it´s change while drying.

Greetings,

~ J e s s i c a ~

8. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    For my headpiece, I tried a couple different things but ended up using sintra. It was made with one piece of sintra, cut to the shape I wanted then heated. Part of it was folded down to make the gold piece that comes across your forehead and I glued on electrical wire to make the ridges.

The base of the headpiece was fabric and felt and the felt was covered with fake hair that matched my own.

The first time I wore this costume I kept it on using a plastic headband (it got a bit heavy when I added the wire and fake hair). After marching in a parade competeing with heavy winds and pouring rain, I realized I needed to secure it a little better. So I attached a giant elastic hair band to the gold piece to keep it tight to my head. It works great and I'm not worried about it any more. :)

9. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Thanks Jessica for popping and posting:) Sorry for not learning your name earlier;)

Excellent tips from both of you:) I believe that sintra is a manufacturers name for the same type of materials Jessica used. I am having extreme trouble in finding it here. A lot of trouble.

The stuff I'm thinking of using is Aquaplast. A more maleable heat formable plastic that is used to make medical splints/braces.

I can geta sheet of it, but it is very expensive $120NZ (NZ $ is currently around 70USc) so I'd rather keep hunting for sintra or like product...

It was mentioned in another thread what the generic term is... foam something PVC I believe.

I need to find it for a number of projects actually;)

10. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Yep, sintra is a brand name. For a four foot by eight foot sheet here (an eigth on an inch thick), it was abour fourty dollars (USD). I was able to have a friend pick it up for me, but if you have a large sheet of it shipped I would strongly recommend having it cut down.

It really is great stuff and if you get a large piece it'll last a long time. :) I'm not sure what the technical name for it is, but if you think you've found something close, make sure you check and see if when it's heated it will bend on its plane.

Hope that helps a bit.

11. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    The big long fancy name is "Expanded High Density Rigid Polyvinyl PVC." :)

12. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Hey!

Can you update the link to my site in the first post in this thread? My main page on this costume is here:

http://www.padawansguide.com/decoy_theed.shtml

Thanks!
    Maggie

13. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Thanks for the big long fancy name;) It'll help in finding a place that sells it here;)

If I could edit my post still I would. But I can't see any option to do so. It's been past the first 90mins;)

If anyone knows how to do so, feel free to change the link:) I didn't find the main page for it til afterwards actually;) Silly I know, but that's what happens when you use google;)

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I changed the link. ;)

15. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Thanks Obi Dawn:)

16. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Well my Sabe figure arrived today:)

Very nice figure too:) The tabards are textured like the photos show them to be.

And her hair:)

It's really pretty nifty:) Image a bottom heavy version of what the other handmaidens wear in their battle gear, and a pony tail that has a tie half way down it.

I think the figure might well be rather correct in the details at that. There are little textures to the hair on the head that would suggest some care was taken in sculpting her.

I think I might be able to take some good photos of her soon.

17. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Welcome PlavaLaguna/Jessica! I love your costumes on your site!

I haven't done this costume, but when I think about the headpiece (the hair and fabric part), I always think that I'd try doing it with styrofoam and see how that worked out. You could stick heavier wires in it to poke out the bottom and wrap around a headband. For the gold piece, I figure Sintra would be the best choice too.

18. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    I've takenpictures of the figure:)

One of them (at least viewed on the camera lcd screen) might explain why I thought the tabards were in one in the back. It's slightly dark (high contrast) and the ponytail is rather wide.. I think in the screen cap I was looking at, the contrast was rather high on a dark image and the same thign was happening.

Especially as on this figure and the 12" doll the tabards are quite seperate at the back:)

I got photos of her with her skirt up too.. the hussy;) They show the slightly baggy black leggings she is wearing.

I do find it odd that the front opening of the skirts is closed, though moulded to look like it can open, and the sides are cut...

I suppose it means she can have a bit more leg movement for posing...

I don't suppose anyone has nice pics of her from the side that might show a split?

19. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query :)

20. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Thanks S_S :)

I recently found a wonderful fabric to make the tabards from so this ensemble has shot back up my to make list :) I also have red silk galore and I will use some of it for this project :) And I even have a Cunning Plan for the headress :)

Since I last wrote a few piccies have come to light which have also made the construction more clear :) The Skirt is open in the front and worn over a wool crepe layer.
    http://www.rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/sabe.php

21. SenatorPadmeSelina

SenatorPadmeSelina Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2008
    It's good that this topic have opened! I'am in search of a fabric for this costume. Especially, I'am excited with a fabric for tabards.Can somebody tell, where it can be found? I heard that Neimhaille have found something similar...Is it truth, Neimhaille?

22. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Yep :) It's not silk but it is an open weave (knit I think really) with nice wide lines:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/rl/rlsabe1.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/rl/rlsabe2.jpg]
    This is it in blue. I also found it in black. The blue should dye, I'm going to test a bit later. It will probably dye up with some acrylic ink (used for airbrushing and painting but also great for wigs and dyeing fake fur). The blue is looking for a home so if it dyes I'll let you know :)

23. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Yay! I can't wait to see how this turns out. :~)

24. SenatorPadmeSelina

SenatorPadmeSelina Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2008
    Neimhaille,fabric is simply magnificent!I think,that you'll make tremendous replica of this costume![face_blush]@};-

25. Lady_Eirtae

Lady_Eirtae Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2005
    I can't wait to see how it turns out! You'll have to post pictures!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.