main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Sabacc anyone?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Drun Pulsar, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drun Pulsar

Drun Pulsar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2015
    Hey has anyone played any of the real-world interpretations of Sabacc. If so which rule set did you use?

I only ask cause I want some universality when I play and every rule set I found was different.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    WDNDSWITJCC

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Gesundheit.

4. Drun Pulsar

Feb 9, 2015
    Ummm...what?

I know I am such a nerd!

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    *sigh*

TJCCINAGAIUTB

Drun Pulsar likes this.
  6. Drun Pulsar

Feb 9, 2015
    Sorry man. Ur just gonna have to tell me in English.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It means I'm moving this thread to SWC.

Lord Vivec and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  8. Drun Pulsar

Feb 9, 2015
    Ok. That's fine.

9. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
  10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Can someone post the rules of Sabacc?

11. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    I will write the rules. Just give me some time.

Iron_lord and Bazinga'd like this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Thank you. Just make sure you cite to the original source of the material, if applicable.

13. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    Sure. :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    Here is the basic rules for Sabacc.

The game of sabacc used a deck of seventy-six cards featuring sixty numbered cards divided into four suits, and two copies of eight special cards. Each players is dealt two cards (sometimes five, depending on the set of rules in play at the table) which make up their hand. There four phases within each hand: Betting, Calling, Shifting and Drawing.

Betting Phase: Beginning with the player to the left of the dealer, the player has the option to place a bet.

A typical game of sabacc is composed of several sequential rounds, and officially ends when a player wins with one of three special winning hands. At the beginning of each round, each player contributes an ante to the hand pot, which goes to the person with the winning hand at the conclusion of that hand. The winner in standard sabacc is the player who holds the hand with an absolute value closest to 23 (with both +23 and -23 being possible); this player wins the hand pot. Since -21 is closer to -23 than 20 is to 23, -21 would trump positive 20; however, in a situation where both -21 and 21 are in play at the same time, the positive 21 would triumph. Players with a hand above 23 or below -23 are considered to have Bombed Out, thus losing the hand, and in some cases, being forced to pay into the sabacc pot.

The sabacc pot is another pot to which players must ante each hand. This special pot can be won only by winning a hand with three trump scores: a pure sabacc of either +23 or -23 (with the former trumping the latter) or an Idiot’s Array. The Array is a special hand containing a card called The Idiot, worth zero, a Two of any suit, and a Three of the same suit. When laid out on the table, an Idiot’s Array is dead, literally, as 023, and is considered the highest hand in the game, trumping even a pure sabacc of 23. A win with any of those three special hands will giva that player both the hand pot and the sabacc pot, and is typically seen as the end of gameplay for a single game.

Calling phase: A player has the opion to call the hand during another player’s calling phase but never his own.

Shifting phase: The cards themselves are small, electronic devices with a display panel covering the surface of one side; this panel is capable of shifting the displayed suit and value of each card when told to do so by the computer running the game, or when a player has the option to manually shuffle the card’s value. In this fashion, a player can receive new cards of any possible suit or rank without actually having to take new cards from the deck itself.

Drawing phase: A player may also draw or discard individual cards from his hand. During the Drawing phase, a player may exchange a card in his hand for one in the deck. If the player decides to simply discard a card during this phase, that individual card is removed from play and is not subject to shifting.

Souce: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sabacc

15. Bandar

Bandar Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2015
    I was recently designing new cards for Sabacc.

When reading the rules online there were four suits for value cards. One of the suits was Staves, I was wondering do you know what that is.

Many thanks

16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Going to move this and merge it with the existing Sabacc thread in SWC.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Staves" is the plural of "staff".

18. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    I've created a Centran sabacc deck and am now writing a rulebook to go with it when I sell it online. However, I am perplexed by the existence of one rule. The Centran deck has four extra cards with the value of 11 called Legates. These Legates trump normal elevens in the case of a tie. But this rule seems overly specific. What are the odds that two players hands will add up to the exact same score and one of them will have an eleven in their hand and the other one will have a Legate to beat their opponent's eleven with? A sabacc score is based on the total of the hand, not the individual cards. I don't see how this rule would fit, justifying the existence of the Legate cards. I must be missing something.

19. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Is it this card?

[​IMG]

(Sorry, I haven't any idea)

rktho likes this.
  20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    When people play real-life sabacc, is it with some computer program, or physical cards? How does this work...

21. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    They do it with dice. Roll a pair and if they match you have to discard your hand and get new cards. At least, that's been the rule since SWC 2017. But we still haven't seen sabacc dice used, even in Solo where Han has a pair of sabacc dice as a good-luck charm, the ones that he supposedly used in the game in which he won the Falcon. We also haven't seen electronic cards depicted in new canon even though I'm pretty sure they haven't been decanonized.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  22. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Since this thread was created, they developed an official Sabacc set of cards. I had the incredible opportunity to visit Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and I purchased a set of Sabacc cards there! They look exactly like the cards used in Solo. I love the cards, however I found the rules are not that great. The rules are different than the previous rules posted above where a player must achieve a score of 23.

BASIC RULES
    There are 62 cards
    - 2 Cylops (both zero)
    - 30 green cards (with positive score values 1-10)
    - 30 red cards (with negative score values 1-10)
    The goal is to achieve a Sabacc (zero score) or a Nulrhek (closest to zero).

2 cards are dealt to each player, with a draw pile in the middle and once face up card. They can draw a card over three rounds and the one with the best hand wins at the end of the three rounds. (The dice are rolled between each round to see if the play continues. If a pair is rolled, everyone has to dump their cards and they get that same amount of cards dealt back to them.)

There are many variations of the rules floating around the internet, however I haven't really been able to find a set of rules that make the game that playable. I've sort of made my own rules based on different rules I found. My issue with the rules is that you only get three turns to pick up/discard, so the odds of getting a Sabacc (0 points) is very low. There are about a dozen different types of Sabacc hands but I rarely see any of them achieved. Honestly, the best way I came up with to play it is have an unlimited amount of rounds (instead of just three) until someone yells out Sabacc and wins. It's hard to place bets this way if you want betting rules though. ...I also developed a version of Sabacc Solitare.

Has anyone come across a set of rules that work well with these cards? I am hoping that Lucasfilm eventually comes up with a better official version of the rules so more people can actually play it. I wanted to start a tradition that my family plays it every May the 4th!

Last edited: May 10, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.