main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saber Battle: Dooku vs Anakin

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Ripthejacker, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ripthejacker

Ripthejacker Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2003
    In Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, Anakin and Count Dooku battle at the end of the film. Consequently Anakin's arm is cut off. My question is within which the manner Dooku cuts Anakin's arm off. I noticed that he does it very slowly, very easily, and very awkwardly. Do you believe this is just some sort of mess up on Lucas' part? Or perhaps Dooku had used some sort of force move on Anakin, like holding his arm out making it easier to cut off? Or do you think Dooku is just a much better swordsman than Anakin? But that doesn't really explain why Anakin stuck his arm out making it that much easier for Dooku to chop off his arm. Any insite is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    This is really vague, I know...but someone with fencing experience explained something about that a while ago here. If anyone knows the thread or comment, that'd help a lot...

But it was something to do with using and tilting the blade in such a way as to cause your opponent to overbalance. The idea was that Anakin was really caught out of step, already planning another move ahead without realising in time that his current move had been turned aside.

3. Ripthejacker

Ripthejacker Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2003
    I never really thought about it that way, it makes sense though. Thanks a lot.

4. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    also anakin was very un experinced fighting another lightsaber wielder that was actually his first time

5. w0rf

w0rf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    I think it's a bit much to assume he'd never sparred anyone with a saber before. Certainly Dooku's style would have thrown him off as I've never seen any other Jedi use that technique.

But I think his ineptitude with a lightsaber was emphasized throughout the film, not that he was bad, just overconfident in his abilities. In the speeder chase Obi-Wan said something to the effect of "if you spent half as much time working on your lightsaber skills as your witty remarks, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman." to which Anakin replies "I thought I already did." "only in your own mind, my young padawan."

We see this play out in the end as Dooku basically rips up Obi-Wan and Anakin, and then Yoda fights him to a standstill without even trying.

6. w0rf

w0rf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    Begun... this Clone Post has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.