main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saber Blade Length

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Arconna, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arconna

Arconna Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    Hey, What is the average blade length for a lightsaber? From the tip of the hilt to the end of the blade. Thanks for the help and sorry if this has been asked a billion times.

I've been working on a script for a fanfilm I would like to do called "Chosen Bounty". the blade lenths I have been using are a bit over 3 feet, like 3.3 i think. They are made of very lightweight wood, but they just seem to have too much drag when you swing them a bit. So, either they are supposed to feel that way and it looks better when finished, or I need to make them shorter.

2. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Holding the sabre in your outstretched hand, the blade length is meant to just touch the ground when the sabre is held 'normally'

That measurement I guess allows usuable sabres for the Yoda's of this world, and the Vaders to..

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    1 meter/ 3 feet is the length :)

4. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    The 'tip touching the floor' measure is the standard length for a Katana used by Samurai. However, the blades in Star Wars are about 1 meter in length. You will find these to be different, so I would suggest using a length somewhere in between that feels good.

Example: Since I have experience with a bokken (wooden practice sword), I made my saber the same length. It's a bit smaller than 'canon', following the rule DaftMaul noted, but it's what I'm familiar with.

5. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    From what I gather most people, including myself, use 4 foot dowel rods and place them into 1 foot long lightsaber handels.

6. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    We all agree on something.
    Outstanding! :D
    3 feet give or take. ;)

7. agentgonzo

agentgonzo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2001
    1' hilt, 4' blade

Edit: Unless you're small and green...

8. crutag-ventor

Jan 29, 2002
    I knew the very next post would contradict me. :(

9. darth_kohai

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm still waiting to see a 40 foot lightlance.

10. crutag-ventor

Jan 29, 2002
    Look no further. There is one in The Empire Strikes Backyard! ;)

Edit: a film that good deserves to be bold. :D

11. darth_kohai

Aug 30, 2001
    That's right! I remember. I loved that movie.
    :)

12. nhaines

nhaines Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    For my test props, I got a 4 foot long wooden dowel, spray painted the bottom foot "aluminum", and the other 3 feet florescent red-orange and florescent green. I feel very safe, since now if I'm ever lost with one in the woods I'll have no trouble getting a rescue helicopter to see me! :D A sabre blade is about a meter long, but I didn't have the patience to worry about that and just made it a yard. No one'll miss the other ~3 inches anyhow. ;)

This means it's not weighted right--the blade should be massless and all the weight's in the hilt. But it's still reasonably close and extremely easy to use anyhow. But I suggest maybe just taping at a foot in and not painting them until you are ready to film--the paint gets all over the other blades.

13. Arconna

Arconna Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    Thanks you guys. Thanks a whole bunch. I think what I am going to do is get something lighter, cause the sticks pick up too much drag and aren't light enough.

What is the best material to use for the blades? Mine are basically Mop Handles with the threads on them.
    I was thinking of getting something alluminum or possible plastic rods of some sort.

14. gameboyry

gameboyry Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    Mop Handels work, acually almost anythin will work. The key is is it clearly visable on film (yeah most of us don't use film, shut up) if not it will be really hard to rotoscope. What i used was pvc painted Red and i put a band of white tape every foot or so. That worked great untill the pvc shattered!

15. darth_kohai

Aug 30, 2001
    A 3/4" dowel rod will be much lighter than a mop handle.

16. Padan

Padan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2002
    Dont really worry about the weight the lighter you get generally the is not as hard(it will break easier). Jst be glad you arent having to fight with real steel swords. Another thing I have found great for at least practice purposes is golf clubs. Just tear the head off and you have yorself a nice very light and extremely durable sword. I dont know if this method will work very well for lightsabers though...

17. Arconna

Arconna Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    I'm not even sure what a dowel is. LOL. What is a wooden dowel and where is a good place to look for them?

18. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    A wooden dowel is a 'pole' made from wood. They come is various widths and can be found at pretty well any DIY store.

19. crutag-ventor

Jan 29, 2002
    Home Depot. You can usually find one in a closet; it?s that thing you put your hangers on.

20. darth_kohai

Aug 30, 2001
    But the one in your closet is too thick and heavy. Go to the hardware store and ask where the dowels are. Look for something about 4 feet long and 3/4 inch in diameter (across). Next, go to the plumbing area and find a pipe about 10" to 12" long that the dowel fits into. Then get a couple wood screws about 3/4 inch long.

Drill 2 holes in the pipe, big enough to get the wood screws in. Put the dowel into the pipe and use the wood screws to secure it.

You now have a hilt-heavy / blade-light lightsaber.

Customize to taste...

21. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    I read in one of the starwars universe books that lightsabers vary in length of anything up to 1.5m, there is no mention as to whether their is a definate minimum or definate maximum. It just says in general.

Anyhow thats the facts bit, as for actual sizes for filming, we're using 1m 15cm or there abouts. But I think it also will depend slightly on your height.

Too long or short becomes really apparant if your extra tall or short.

bye.

22. Arconna

Arconna Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    If I screw them in will I have problems removing them when I need to take the blade out?

23. darth_kohai

Aug 30, 2001
    Not if you have a screwdriver. The removal will be between shot's anyway, so you don't have to worry about a 'real time' removal / installation.

24. Teron-MIROK

Teron-MIROK Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    Yeah, Padan isnt kidding, you can go to a thrift store or a pawn shop and pickup a couple of cheap golf clubs, take the head off with a hacksaw, and they'll never break. Padan and I have hacked at each other for years with gold clubs. Another thing is dont worry too much about the 'standard' for saber length. Just cut until you have somthing that feels right to you. - Jordan

25. Arconna

Arconna Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    New little question here. I already have some sticks i've been using (just the sticks right now because I can't seem to acquire the parts I need for a hilt). Now when I use only one stick, it seems to drag VERY much, and really hinder my movement. But I had to tape a couple together today because one seemed to be bent a little so I had to bend it back to shape. I was just swinging it and it just seemed like I had more movement ability all of sudden. Is there a word for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.