main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Saber Construction Party #2!!!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by kreleia, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    April 6th
    1:00 p.m.
    location undecided right now

Anyone wanna volunteer their pad?

Also, if you want to join the party, but don't have the first clue how to go about making a saber hilt, check out Big Yellow Box. Movie-based and original saber designs, all from hardware store parts. There's sure to be something there that intrigues you!

kreleia ^.^

2. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    I'll be there.

BTW if anybody is making a type VIII saber from the yellow box site, I've made a project book out of it to make it easier to construct.

-Void

3. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    hmm, we might be able to have it at my place. my mom did say to feel free to invite you guys over whenever i felt like, and i think i'll just feel like it on the 6th. :)

so let me ask the next time i see her (she's sleeping right now), and then i'll post here if it's okay (and i'm sure it will be).

4. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Are we also going to work on costumes (I already have 2 sabers built?) If so I will try to bring my mothers sewing machine. I will also bring my tools. Is anybody interested in a shopping trip before that. For both saber parts and costume stuff?

5. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    I'll definitely be there and a pre construct shopping trip would be a good thing to do.

6. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    I'm just curious as to why we are not doing this on the 30th of March. Is there some Phoenix FanForce or some personal thing happening that I am unaware of that prevents us from doing it on the 30th? With only 6 weeks until the line up and 8 until the premiere I would think we would want to get as much work done as possible in order to get the largest amount of PFF members costumed for EPII and the line up. It will help distinguish us from the other line members. Heck I would almost (not really practical) be willing to do construction parties every weekend. I really want to be in costume for the line up.

7. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Because I want to be there, and we're getting new bedroom furniture on the 30th - which means I'm going to be doing quite a bit of heavy lifting and moving, not to mention organizing that day.

Of course, if you still want to do it on the 30th without me, please do! I'm not trying to stop anyone from getting together! Nope! I'm just trying to coordinate with everyone's schedules and with enough time in advance that as many people can plan to join as possible.

SO - for those who want to work on construction as much as possible, plan the 30th, Apri 6th, 13th, 20th and 27th. Come when you can or to all of them. :)

Also, for costumes - with time starting to crunch, I'm working a lot on Thrawn. I'm hoping to have a proto-type jacket done for IA by tomorrow night (at the movies - if you can't come IA, then I'll bring it on Saturday).

The Jedi cloaks look quite easy, so once I'm finished with his, I'll be able to take requests for cloaks. Keep in mind that I will require YOUR help and a bit of initiative from you for the rest of it (like making your own belt, supplying boots, weapons and possibly even the tunic - I'll have to see about that, though). Also, I charge for my sewing time, and for the cost of the materials. Yep. Sorry. It's not a lot, but I just can't bear to spend all this time and money on sewing and construction without being reimbursed a little for my efforts.

So... questions, volunteers for more saber construction party locations, go for it!

moi ^.^

8. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    Actually the 30th might make a good day for buying materials. Those of us making something can do a big shopping trip to hardware stores, fabrics, and leather stores. I do want to do my own sewing. I would just like to do it in the presence of an expert. If I find I am running out of time I don?t mind paying Kreleia to do some of the work. Is anyone interested in doing a group shopping trip on the 30th?

9. DarthRaith

DarthRaith Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    You guys are welcome to come to my house. Minor problem...I live in Vegas. I've been talking to some of you already about starting a club down here. I'm majorly (is that a word?) bummed I can't attend the Saber construction party. I have fan saber section on my website www.eklectia.com if you guys need some ideas. I have built a custom saber before and I have a tutorial on how to do it. You can find that here http://www.eklectia.com/star_wars_html/lightsabers/lightsaberfansabers.htm (note: all lightsaber blade effects in those photos done by yours truly. There's a tutorial on how to make those on my site as well) Well, have fun and wish I could be there!

10. jupitertronic

Feb 10, 2002
    we can have the party here.

yup, mom said it was fine.

april 6th
    1 p.m.
    my place

i'll email my address and mapquest directions the friday before unless otherwise requested, cause i'll feel weird about having my address up for two weeks and not being able to ever edit it. :)

so everyone post your email addresses here and i'll mail it out, and if you don't get the email on friday for some reason, just PM me on here or IM me on aim (deluded spider) or yahoo (jupitertronic) or icq (118291178) and we'll figure it out.

11. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    YAY! I'm psyched! I need a lightsaber for me belt, ya know. :)

<does the happy dance>

12. jupitertronic

Feb 10, 2002
    yeah i need a new lightsaber, mine's a piece of crap. it looks like i got it in the bargain bin at jedi goodwill or something. :p

13. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Jedi Goodwill.. LOL! :)

14. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    jt, I like it! I think it looks really good!! :)

15. jupitertronic

Feb 10, 2002
    ah, you flatter me, m'lady. 'tis a piece of tripe. :)

it's decent i guess, but it was just sort of, "let's mess with this and see what happens."

i sort of did a mock-up of how i'd want my saber to look (kind of a rough basic design) that i made basically from other pictures of sabers, and it's a lot less episode 1 looking, i think. in fact it kind of makes me think of ancient sabers, even though i've, well, never seen one. sort of has a vader-type thing going on, too. anyway if i can make that one i'll actually be proud of my saber.

//end rant

16. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    J/T, I think your saber looked pretty darn good, especially considering it was your first attempt. I found the chrome pipe sabers (like yours and my 2 in-progress sabers)to be the most difficult method of construction, though definitely the best looking when complete.

As for equipment, I have a few spare parts I'll bring (other than my own supplies), along with a dremel tool and all of my samples, for you guys to use and see.

17. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    ooh, Spiffy!

I went looking for parts tonight but being the highly uninformed person concerning all things construction I am, I only managed to find a pipe, a shower head and one kind of screws and some funky looking brass tubular thing.

I"m thinking I'm gonna need tons of help!! :D

18. Mobius

Mar 3, 2002
    No problem, Anwelei. I've built several sabers using everything from the piping used in the most recent online tutorials, to rifle scopes, to flashlights.

I'm also going to bring my blaster prop (a work-in-progress).

19. jupitertronic

Feb 10, 2002
    when are we going to go parts shopping together? cause like i said i'd really like to do another saber and like anwelei i have trouble finding stuff on my own (i went with my grandpa for my parts last time).

20. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Several people had mentioned going Saturday, 30 march as a day to get together for that. We can gather at my place if we want, I don't care about the time. I'm in between 1 lowes and 3 home depots.

-Void

21. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    I have found that Home Depot and Ace Hardware are the best for finding everything you need to build any of the sabers from bigyellowbox.com. Those two also have the best costumer service (at least in my area.) I am all up for a mass shopping trip (for saber parts and fabrics.) on the 30th. So lets nail down a time and a meeting place. However be prepared to spend at least 6 hours on this treasure hunt.

22. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    I have found that Home Depot and Ace Hardware are the best for finding everything you need to build any of the sabers from bigyellowbox.com. Those two also have the best costumer service (at least in my area.) I am all up for a mass shopping trip (for saber parts and fabrics.) on the 30th. So lets nail down a time and a meeting place. However be prepared to spend at least 6 hours on this treasure hunt.

23. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    Six hours....

Whoa.... :eek:

Count me in. I"m gonna need a ride though. Anyone care to haul me around? :)

24. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Brother Mobius ask for this link http://www.amazing1.com/plasma.htm

They are plasma blades that are either sold as lightsaber units or as emitter units that you can drop into your own home made lightsabers. The details are in the page and they have a couple of good demo videos for download to show how they work.

And if we are talking for about 6 hours for parts gathering then I suggest we gather wherever at noon at the latest. I'm still putting up my place as a gathering point if we want and I can pick you up Anwelei if you need it unless somebody closer to you wants to. Where do you live ???

-Void Dancer

25. Mobius

Mar 3, 2002
    Cool. Thanks, Void. Unfortunately, their website says the blades are not good for fighting. I'll let poeple know if I find one that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.