main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Saber Dueling practices thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Mugen, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    If this is in the wrong place forgive me.

I have been talking about getting people together for saber dueling practices and choreography(sp?) for some time now..and seeing as I have the week days off, I'd like to know if anyone would be interrested in it. Me and Cat talked about it EONS ago, being on Tuesday nights..(the Ren people duel on Tues nights at Reid park) there is lots of grass for tumbling and for cushon in case you drop youre saber. pm me for my number and just well, post youre thoughts on the matter.

Cheers.

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Sounds like fun. No saber yet though.

3. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    I'd be interested as soon as I get my Ultra Saber shipped to me. I've always wanted to learn to do that, but never got around to it. That, and being scared of looking like the Star Wars kid flailing a stick around looking like an idiot.

[image=http://www.gearsandwidgets.com/external/starwarskid.jpg]

[face_worried]:-B[face_laugh]

4. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Poor kid. I really don't know why he was so made fun of.... we've all done that in one form or another over our lifetime. He just got cought on film and put online.

Edit: spealling

:p

5. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    I have an extra saber to lend out if someone dont have one to use.... also I'd like to get youre input on what days and times would be best to accommidate you guys/gals.

6. jedirevan1

jedirevan1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2006
    Mandalore and I are very interested. He just got his Ultra saber. He's schedule is changing again, so let me wait and see what happens. He's not sure right now what his days off will be.

7. mmmothman32

mmmothman32 Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2007
    I'd be in for saber practice, but I only have a plastic extending light saber from Walmart.

8. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    I am game just need 2 weeks notice so I can schedule myself off.

9. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    I'd like to make it a regular thing,(if possible); like meetings, or RPG night. So that if people get wind of it they will know exactly the time and place..or drive by seeing us dueling regularly, it may spur interest and we may in turn, gain new members to our flock...and be able to bludgeon them with sabers.. :p [:D]

10. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    So, Has anyone that would like to participate thought of a good day of the week and time frame we should do this? I'd also like to hold it at a place where it is pretty easy to access for all members, and mayhaps good eating places around for afterwards..(saber fighting makes one hungry) Just post youre wants and we will accomodate!

11. FORCEinept

FORCEinept Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2006
    I'll come maybe, just for funsies. I'm free Sun-Wed Afternoon.

12. _Anakin_Vader_

Mar 8, 2005
    For me, the only time I can almost guarantee that I am free is just in the daytime, before 4 or 5 pm. My schedule is rarely ever the same.

13. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    How many people have dueling sabers?

14. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    I dont think you do, right Dame? whattayawaitinfor? o_O :p

Well, I have 2 myself, Mandalore and Tina have one a piece, maybe an extra, I know that 2 more potential members are in negotiations to aquire a saber a piece,as well as Phil. Mike has one, Chris has one, Dusty has one or two. As soon as I can, I will try and purchase a couple extra apprentices and adepts, so we can have extras. I'm waiting for a "free check" to do so.

15. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003

16. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    how much does it cost again to upgrade a MR Mace to an Ultra to use for dueling? Since I am assuming the MR Mace as it stands won't hold up to dueling.

17. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    A stock MR Force Fx can be 'lightly' dueled with, but is NOT reccomended. I have seen them snap in two, seen them go dead, and I have seen the leds go dead at the place of impact, so the saber had icky dark spots in it.

I recommend a saber upgrade to a medium walled blade and a lux3 conversion for light sparring, and a thick walled lux3 conversion for heavy dueling.

the conversions cost from 60-75 bucks, if you send the sabers in (reccomended for dueling sabers)

and 45-50 bucks for the do it yourself kits. (takes skilled electritian skills)

www.ultrasabers.com

18. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    my only problem with sending a saber in to be upgraded is knowing that Mike is still waiting for his to be returned almost a year later.. kind of scares me a bit. Well.. that and the fact that Jake will crown me over the head when I tell him I want him to let Braiden learn to duel with His (Jake's) Mace FX Saber [face_blush] as you can imagine Jake is probably not going to be that thrilled with the idea financially at the moment

19. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    The DIY kit, it comes with everying needed to do the conversion?

20. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    I dont know what is up with the situation with Mike's saber..it may be a mistake on the Ultra's part..but then again, If Mike has forgotten to put a blade color, or specify something..they are probably waiting to hear from him to correct the situation.

I have sent people to Ultrasabers.com and they have had thier sabers in as quickly as 1.5 week, and in Tucson, with a verbal arrangement with Ultra Todd or Alex, I am sure it would be no problem.

The cost is what it is, comes with a dueling blade(thick wall), Luxeon 3 led upgrade, gaurantee. These three things allow you to 1)Duel like you mean it. 2)detatch the blade and hang it on youre belt. 3)make the blade 20-30% brighter than the stock blade 4)retain all original sounds 5)And have a warantee on all the internal parts. You really cant go wrong for the money.

Damian, the do it yourself kits come with the led set up, intructions, and some light hardware..

Needed items: Soldering gun, solder, heat shrink, moderate electrician skills, and if you plan on dueling you need to order a thick wall or medium walled blade.

21. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    Mike's saber wasn't a send-in FX conversion, it was a custom saber being modified. There was a misunderstanding on our part, we thought he was waiting for our sound board to come in. To make up for this miscommunication, we sent him a brand new OverLord:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/darthmaddy/Overlordfinal.jpg

Our typical turnaround for send-in conversion is about 2 weeks.

22. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    So what exactly are you converting it to if you don't get the dueling blade with the DIY kit?

So the DIY conversion for say and Anakin Ep.3 would be $ 78.00 with the blade.

23. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    You are removing the fragile string of LED's from the blade and installing a Luxeon LED module in the hilt.

24. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Can your retain the soundboard in the hilt with the DIY kit?

25. _Anakin_Vader_

Mar 8, 2005
    Just FY'all'sI (like that word play?), I got my new saber in yesterday, and it wasn't anybody's fault that it took so long. Just a miscommunication thing. But it's totally cool. So LET'S FIGHT!