main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Saber Fencing

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by corran_16201, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corran_16201

corran_16201 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2000
    Any one seriously intrested? I forgot to bring it up at the meeting then rembered with the impromptu duel on the sidewalk. Just like post ideas you have or if you wanna learn it. I'm starting to iron out some ideas for teaching it. It works good for me 'cuz I'm working on someday becoming a certifed and possibly full time martial arts instructor so teaching you all is more expierence for me.

2. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Sounds like a great idea! I'd be a more than willing pupil, I should pick the stuff up pretty easy. If you're coming to the picnic, then perhaps you could begin your instruction there!

3. corran_16201

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm gonna try my damndest to be at the picnic but that weekend is my girlfriends birthday and saturday nite is her party so depending on when I get home from there and what time a buddy going with me leaves my place will determine that one. The picnic would be a good place to start 'cuz fencing pratice at a place like Borders isn't a good idea.

How much training you need though is up in the air you whooped max's butt pretty good and quick too.

4. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    Yes.. but I'd rather I have more concentration to make smoother connections and 'clashes' if you will when I fight. And it wasn't a fair fight.

5. karateyoda17

karateyoda17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Training + me = Must! My sorry butt was kicked to tatooine and back by Whitney. :( ;)

6. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    I'm sorry about that Max. :(

7. karateyoda17

Jul 9, 2002
  8. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Saberpilot,I would suggest that you pair up with corran to better give your input/ideas to some defensive (needed in k.yoda's case hehe)positions and moves as well as parries,etc. Just an idea that could be a part of helping to head you toward your knighthood.

9. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    Excellent idea. Perhaps at the picnic we could work together on some drills. I know that most of my action comes from moves that I mostly adapt from my martial arts. But Corran is indeed the master.
    It would be great to, years from now, go to c2 (or even the relaxicon) and put on a great show for everyone to see. ^_^

10. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I'd love to learn more, the only people I can fight with where it looks good is Chris-stacina and our friend Bryan, everyone else just smacks my knuckles (ouch)

11. karateyoda17

Jul 9, 2002
    Sounds like alot of fun jedi 1966. BTW, what is your 1st name anyway? Do you even have one ;), or is it secret? I would love to saber fight some more, even though Whitney whiped the floor with me, it was still alot of fun!

12. corran_16201

Nov 28, 2000
    Good idea master. Most things will have to be adapted from martial arts training like me and whitney have had

13. jedi_1966

Oct 31, 2001
    ***whispers*** PSSSST......Hey....(looks around warily)Karateyoda...c'mere.
    yeah......(looks around warily,again)it's tony........but aahhh...
    it's a secret...so a ...don't tell anyone....

14. jedi_1966

Oct 31, 2001
    O.k. saberpilot,be prepared to instruct on your own,just in case corran is not able to make it.He and I will know right around the week before the picnic.If he can't,I will be able to put my measly two cents in to help instruct,cool?

15. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    Understood, jedi master. (bows) I hope to see you & your padawan there, but in case you're not, I'll work out a few excercises. Which means.. everyone bring their lightsaber. If you don't have one, I'll be bringing my purple spare. Let me know if I need it. ^_^

16. corran_16201

Nov 28, 2000
    If I can't make it I could give you the stuff I got so far master I worked out a couple of exercies this morning. And I'll try to let you know by next wednesday wheter its a aye or nay

17. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    How embarassing [face_blush], I'm a Jedi Master who is not skilled at all with a lightsaber (although I can hold my own against my five year old nephew and three year old niece)

I would be very interested in learning whatever those with sword fighting skills would be willing to teach.

Also, I got the CCAC non credit course listing catalog the day before I left for Gettysburg. One of the courses offered was Fencing (Weds evenings starting in mid-September). I'm planning on taking the course and will post here the costs of renting the equipment.

I think it would be fun if we got a bunch of us to take the course together.

18. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    *Nods* sounds interesting.. I was actually thinking of taking either that or some tai chi.. I need to learn to relax, you see... ^_^

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Fencing, hmmmm, I guess if you want to fight like Dooku and have Yoda come along and make you look silly, then go right ahead ;)

20. jedi_1966

Oct 31, 2001
    I had not mentioned that I was not skilled with a saber.In fact,after having instructed bayonet drill for 11 yrs (which is based directly on French fencing) I have some skills,but am always open to learn more....of anything.

21. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I fought in Dagorhir,a medievil fighting reenactment group, for a while. I wasn't very good but I did learn a few things.

22. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    Sweet! We should have a wide range of styles and experience to bring to the Saber training (not unlike Luke's academy.. ^_~)

23. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I would take a fencing class but I don't have time :(

24. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I called to find out the price of renting equipment for the CCAC class and here's the info I have:

Fencing for Adults and Teens, course number YFD-901-1211

Course cost $49
    Equipment rental $40, this is for inclass only and also includes one extra night a week to attend a practice session at the Fencing Institue of America.
    Time: 7PM-8:30Pm Weds
    Sessions: 10 weeks
    Start date: Sept. 18, 2002

I believe that the location will be at the Fencing Institue, whose address is listed in the catalog as 300 Camp Horne Road, Pgh 15202

Register by phone at 412-237-2670 or online at www.ccac.edu

It would be fantastic if several of us could take this class. I'd be glad to carpool with anyone near me (Penn Hills, Plum, Monroeville, etc).

Besides this class, I'm also looking forward to learning from our 'local' talent, within the FanForce!

25. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Hurry while you can if you want to register. I JUST talk to one of the admissions rep and he said that the class size is limited to 15 and there are already 4 enrolled.

I would love to take this class and if others will agree to take it I will as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.