main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saber Length

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Red-2, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Hi guys, tommorow im gonna be cutting up my aluminum shafts for my sabers and i want to know how long should they be?

give me two measurements please
    1-With the saber handle
    2-Measurment from emiter to the end of the blade

thanks!

2. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    The books say a standard blade length from emitter to tip is 1 meter. I use about 36 inches for a standard stunt blade for a single, 32-30 for a double-bladed. You probably want at least six inches of blade inside the hilt, depending on how you attach it, so 42 inches in all would work well.

3. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Six inxhes is average.

What are we talking about?

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    That's too bad, Fig.

Edit: 36 Inches of visible blade (from emitter to blade tip)

5. danielhilsden

danielhilsden Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2005
    what if your really small and dumpy (im not, but one of my mates is!) anyways i think 36 nch for blade is about right. cheers

6. Israel_Angell

Israel_Angell Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2004
    I usually think they should be no longer than the reach of your arm, but thats theory for you.

7. Jedi-Avatar

Jedi-Avatar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    Well you could always use a basic rule that is used to judge a proper length for a Japanese sword. Considering that that Japanese samurai were one of the big inspirations for the Jedi way, it would also be appropriate.

Hold the hilt in your right hand (or really whatever hand will be the top hand for you) and then hang your arm loosely at your side, letting the blade tip fall towards the floor. Keep a relaxed grip. The tip of the blade should just fall short of the floor by up to 1 inch as it is right by your little toe. Take your shoes/boots off when you do this.

Anyhow, that is a simple way to find a good length. It is an average, however. You have to find the length that is right for you. Don't go just by the 1 meter "rule". Yoda was less than 1 meter tall. Did he use a 1 meter sword? No. He used one that was appropriate for his height and reach. So should you. Use the longest sword that you can wield without destroying your technique. The arm drop measurement is a good starting point.

8. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    33 in, the handles are typically 11 in, if the blades are too long, they look stupid and if they are too short they look weak...

9. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Someone came up with a golden rule, or some special number, to measure, among other things, what the ideal length of a saber would be for you.

But otherwise, 10-12 inch hilt and a meter long blade.

Yay for mixing imperial and metric measurments.

10. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Really how tall you are and how your style is shouldn't affect the measurement. I've used 33", ideally though I like 36"

Like anything else you just have to keep at it to get used it it.

11. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    ok ive decided that around 33-34 is for me, but again with the diameter....

i've bought these 3/4 inch and only just realized that most people are using .5 inch

will the 3/4 slow me down noticeably

12. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    No..as far as I know, most people around here use 3/4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.