1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saber Length

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Janz_Walker, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress_Renata

    Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

    Sep 9, 2000
    In terms of length...

    I do "haidong gumdo," a Korean form of melee saber fighting. My sword, when the blade tip is resting on the ground, comes up to my hip bone or a little bit above. My bamboo practice sword is a bit longer, and more awkward if I am doing a low block/slash.

    Measure from your hip bone to the ground, add about 2" and try that. Remember that that measurement includes your hilt (between 12-15" long, depending on the size of your hands). If you're a guy with big hands, it's probably going to have to be longer.

  2. Darth_Bam

    Darth_Bam Jedi Youngling

    Oct 26, 2001
    The length of the laser depends on the length of handle. The laser should be 80% of the entire length, and the handle the other 20%.
  3. JediG60racer

    JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

    Apr 9, 2002
    Blade length should be proportional to your height. I stand 6' tall and use a 36" blade, hilt to tip. My wife uses a 32" blade and she's 5'4".

    If you're doing a double ended saber, you can go a bit shorter on the blade since the hilt will be longer... you want the overall length to be about 6' or it'll look like a pole vault instead of a bong sool staff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.