main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saber Reflections-how do I do them?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Naurm, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naurm

Naurm Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2005
    I am invovled in the production of a movie. One of the characters where goggles that are very reflective. The prop blades can easily be seen in the goggles. How would I go about making the reflection of the lightsaber blade in the goggles? I use Adobe After Effects 5.5. I would rather argue that these are vampire prop blades but I don't think anyone would buy it.

2. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    Just the way you rotoscope the real lightsaber, I think. Depends on the way the goggles change the appearance of a reflected object. Like... is it darker or something: Make the reflection darker, too.

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Rotoscope the reflection just like you'd rotoscope the lightsabers themselves. Then tweak the reflection pass to make it darker, more transparent, etc. until it looks right.

Potentially you could take the rendered lightsaber animation layers from the actual props and distort them to properly fit into the goggles, but the odds are high that this would take you more time than manual roto.

M. Scott

4. Zennoa

Zennoa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    I would rotoscope it like normal but make the edges go off the glasses. Then when you pull the compodition back in use an animated clipping path (pen tool drawing on the layer) that moves with the glasses so it only shows in the glasses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.