main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saber Sounds and an Interesting Idea

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Figrin-Dan_Man, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I think the effect would work just fine so long as you got the pitch of the hum to be the note. However, SW music is comprised of a whole symphony playing intracte melodies and having something playing just the main melody would leave it sound rather thin. Perhaps you should invent other things to help create the depth to it. Perhaps add another person and when there's a good deep beat, have that be the saber clash. Just an idea.

2. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    OK..

Ao now your making STOMP with lightsabers?
    ;)

Have fun!

3. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Wow. I can't believe this is as big of a hit as it is. I love you guys all supporting this. Seeing as how you guys are loving this, and I can see we can take this somewhere, I would love for you to help me out. So, if we can get some people workin' on sound, that's great, and if nobody minds, i'll roto (it *is* my idea, anyway), you guys can do everything else. If someone wants to try to match and film a lightsaber duel alongside the music we now have multiple people working on, we can figure out what this will be like. I appreciated all of your help, and your keen interest.
    Keep yourselves posted (Haha! A pun!).
    Toodles, F-D_M

4. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    Alright Zap-
    I just listened to your song-sounds great. Very great. Very incredibly great. Wow. OK, this is really starting to come together. Can you do Imp. MArch and Duel of the Fates as well? Or at least, that is, recognizable parts of them. Cool. Ok. Now,

Everyone else-
    If we can find someone to do a video for us, this would be good. Also, opinions on this one; should this be a costumed fanfilm? Normal clothes or SW garb? Let me know your thoughts.Thanks for your help, all!
    F-D_M

5. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    :: raises hand ::

I have and idea!

Start with the Jedi realizing he can play music. Then he starts playing SW theme. (so far, the same idea). Sith appears and interrupts him, so he stops. Sith swings the first few notes to 'Dueling Banjos'. Jedi plays along. 'Dueling Banjos' continues to end.

All takes place in a forest :)

6. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    The only problem here is "Dueling Banjos" won't be as recognizable to Star Wars fans on a Star Wars site in a Star Wars Fanfilm as a Star Wars song.

7. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    wait, now zap has a song too? or did u mean my song? im either confused or offended.

Oh and i figured some of the other instruments could be done on-location, ie, footsteps are the percussion, and clashes are the symbols, etc. and i agree with the whole discovering thing, and i think it should be shot in costume. I have a full sith costume and my friend, ltlrat has a full, awesome jedi costume, and we bought that 60 ft x 10ft bluescreen from Darth Moves the other day, so we could do it, and add in a background later (i was thinking along the lines of that place on Naboo where anikin is meditating and padme comes in and he's like "Your presence is soothing" because the jedi would also be meditating in a similar fashion before the whole song starts.) ok?

8. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I think he did get confused - but don't get offended. Zap is a sound guru, and he said he'd do it first.

Yours was good, but it almost sounded like an airy organ or something. It was good, but ZAP... well, Zap can make something awesome. =)

There's no shame in admitting when a professional can do it better.

9. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    i know, i wasnt offended by the fact that zap could do it better, i was offended by the fact that zap didnt, and dan_man didnt look to see who posted it. and i can do better, that was just a test. I'll work on a better one, or better yet, collaborate with zap. how 'bout it, zap? oh and i didnt make those sounds, they were from tfn, so its about as official as they come. straight from JK2.

10. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    The only problem here is "Dueling Banjos" won't be as recognizable to Star Wars fans on a Star Wars site in a Star Wars Fanfilm as a Star Wars song.

Why does it necesserily have to be a SW song? It's still a jedi and a sith with lightsabers. 'Dueling Banjos' is very recognizable and allows 2 players to play together in duel fashion.

But, this isn't my project. I only offer it as an idea.

11. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    SilverFox-
    Ah, crap! Sorry!!!!!!! I didn't look to see who wrote the post (slamming head on computer screen, glass shatters and gives F-D_M a new eyebrow)!!! Sorry! It *was* really good though, even though it was a rough draft. I disagree on the pipe organs thing, though, I think it sounds lightsaber-y. I think we may need to find slightly slower songs, or slow down thetempo, cause just listen to your (great ::winning smile::) song and imagine how q u i c k l y the saber would have to move to
    A. Make that tone
    B. Move fast enough to keep up
    Otherwise, I think it's a wonderful start.Sorry Again
    (Guilt sets in) F-D_M

12. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    ok thanks. im working on a few more tests right now.

[edit] i just came up with another idea, and im gonna do it if nobody else does: we could have this said jedi meditating in a huge room in the jedi chambers somewhere, and he could be sitting in front of a live audience (the jedi council, or something) and it starts with the lights off. only the sun from outside lights the room. he ignites his saber and continues to do the whole first part (where the saber makes the music). then, when he finishes that, the lights come on (all you could see before was the glow of the saber, or from some angles, his shillouette) and he uses his saber as one of those wand things that conductors have, and a curtain opens up to show an orchestra made of star wars characters, each with a weapon, or instrument, and they use them as instruments. the blasters sound somewhat like a ts-803 <a techno-like sound> so it could break into a techno remix, and all sorts of stuff could happen from there. sort of a circus type act. i dunno, it seems cool in my head. what do u guys think?

13. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    ftp://webuser1:fanfilms@b17.hostrack.net/saber test 2.mp3

i fixed a few things. tell me how this sounds.

14. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I think I don't want to be the one trying to get that to actually make music.
    Good luck.

15. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Hoi lads, keep your pants on.

Interesting mp3's you guys posted... I was planning on using the actual base-hum for pitch, not any actual "swooshes" since playing those in a sampler makes it sound very "sampled" and such.... my plan was to use the base hum and *slowly* play the main theme... (y'know, the slow one, pam paaaaaaaa, pam pam pam paaaaaaaaaaa, paaaaaa... that one). I was thinking to go so far as to try to synthesize the sabre sound on my Modular.... if I can...

However, I never said I could do it instantly, I have a life, y'know. ;) ... I'll see what I can come up with today....

/Z

16. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    Alright, Silverfox! This sounds even better than before! Ok, now, howbout this idea...He ignites it (already done in the song) swooshes it around several times, and finds he can control the pitch of the hum, by waving it faster or slower. *THEN* he starts to play his song? Good or bad? Also, on the idea where one of the lightsaber-ers would use his saber as a cue and control a whole symphony of SW characters-Could we do that? Afford that? Pull it off? Let me know your thoughts.

F-D_M

17. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    yeah yeah, i can pull it off. i was under the impression tho, that you wanted to do this, or are you just in the director's position, and getting people do produce it for you? ill do the "learning" test tonite. hehe-- im supposed to be at school right now! oh yeah! lol. my ROTC battallion had a veteran's day ceremony today and it inspired me even more to work on this. toodeloo!

18. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Update: I will do this, but I have stumbled on a real world project w. a real world deadline that needs to take precedence so you won't hear anything for a couple of days... stay tuned.

/Z

19. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    SilverFox:
    To be strict, proper and politically correct; I came up with the concept of waving sabers to make certain tones, and I am also rotoscoping the film and writing the script. What I'm *not* doing is the sound (duh), the filming and editing. Clear? Sorry, I thought this was universally understood-but now it's out there. (However, if somebody wants to write a script and email it or post it [to me] I would read it and am ready and willing to accept changes based on what you guys think would be cool.) Thanks!
    F-D_M
    P.S. If anyone is between projects and wants to volunteer and film for this, your motion would be *greatly* appreciated!!!!!!!

P.P.S. The same for editig, everyone! I am no good at this! Trust me, you don't want me doing it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.