main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Saber & Stage Combat Training discussion

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by GoodLife, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodLife

GoodLife Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    As a few of us discussed at the end of training tonight, a new thread is needed (and hopefully won't get side tracked) for comments/questions etc. to do with us all getting our 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and more together.

Thanks again to Tim and everyone for making it another fun night of training! Now if my if the weather would cooperate I could actually have room to do a set of 50 attacks or something!

2. Manu-Forti

Manu-Forti Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2005
    Good job in class tonight. Your weekend training really paid off.

For next week could you please reread :
    http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/production/clements_tutorial/index.asp

And thank you again PreludeRM for the eye candy.

M.F.

3. Twisted-And-Evil

Twisted-And-Evil Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2005
    Another solid night of training! Thanks to Tim and the Dojo again for making it a fun experience! Everyone is looking very good out there... keep up the good work everybody!
    Maybe we can all try to meet up a night this week to practice a little bit? If not, see you all next week! [face_devil]

4. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I've not done any tumbles on purpose in a long time, a long time. I'm not dead, well not yet, but is my back killing me. lol It was nice to have the bag to take some swipes at last night. It gives you an idea of how our strikes would come in on a real opponent. Is it Monday yet?

Last night was a great eyeopener. How many of us were so intent on getting 1's and 2's to go from shoulder to hip that we never really realized that it could go from hip to knee or knee to ankle? I for sure said a silent (maybe not sooo silent) D'OH!! over that. It sure was easy to add those to the repitoire though. Thank go to Tim again, even though I feel like I'm busted it two this morning. ;-)

As for a mid-week group practise, I mentioned last night to a few people that I have a rather huge parcel of lawn out behind my apartment building. It's nearly soccer field sized without having to worry about if there is a soccer game going on. It's fairly private as it doesn't face any roads (just an alley), the houses on the other side would have their backs to us and most of the tenants in my building are seniors. I'm in the south, four or five minutes away from Echosevin's place.

Trevor

**edit**
    I guess I should mention that Thursday evening is the best night for me. So...how's Thursday for y'all?

5. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Crazy fun lastnight was really cool to actually hit something and the rolling was great aswell. Seems everyone is haviing a great time learning how to kick ass Jedi style just gotta fix the saber up to look alittle cooler.

6. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Sithspawn! Thursday doesn't work for me as I have to pick up my brothers at the airport that night. I guess I'll have to just work on the tumbles out in the common area. I think I'm going to have to follow Good Life's example and build another (if not two) more practice sabers - his and Prelude's are just TOO COOL!

Tonight was fantastic! Everyone did a great job! I don't think I've tumbled in quite a long time. I'm just glad I could actually get up after the roll!! I was so pumped afterwards - wanted to keep swinging when I got home (Twisted & Evil - how fun was it to practice on the driveway when we got back??!!).

7. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    "And a good time was had by all"

What a blast! I wonder what my neighbors will think if I set up a heavy bag on the patio?

8. GoodLife

GoodLife Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    That was a good article and made many of the same points you've been reinforcing about the differences between stage and real combat. I especially liked what he had to say about close in grappling manuevers.. simply letting go of the saber would probably be fairly effective way of removing your opponents forearm or hand. His comments about pressing blades to get the "feel" of where your strong and weak (hilt to tip obviously) for blocking perrying and striking. well.. time for work!

9. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Ah, OldRepublic, I feel your pain. The last time I really did somersaults I was a flexible and strong 14 year old. I'm not actually all that sore, but I sure felt them more than I used to. And I think I might even be a little motion sick while doing them! That's so sad!

Weird how my body remembers exactly what it's supposed to do while doing a round-off, handspring, dive-roll, etc even though it really isn't strong enough anymore to do them. I used to love dive-rolls.

Anyway, I practised my shoulder roll today until I could remember to reach across with my arm (makes it easier to put a shoulder down rather than your neck or head) and tuck my legs in - instead of giving the bag a straight-legged whack! like I did in class - that one's left over from doing rolls on a balance beam! Tucking them in tight also gives you more momentum and makes it more likely that you can stand up right away afterwards.

The fancy hilts are lovely! I'll definitely be making some at some point, but for now I'll keep my 'waster'.

Some of you had asked what the wrap I used was - it's 'control overwrap' for rackets, mine is Head brand. Raj had a waffley textured wrap on his and it was called 'Cotear' grip tape (it's very similar to a kind of self-adhering medical tape actually) and we got it at Play it Again Sports.

I could be free Thursday night, but Raj has soccer.

10. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    I am a little sore from last night on my right shoulder not sure if it is from swinging or the rolls or both? Anyway last night was great..with more moves it gives you a little more freedom to experiment I think. I might be free on thursday night, but I will have to check tommorrow with work if we are going to do OT or not.

11. Old_Republic

Mar 21, 2005
    How about Saturday evening? Unless someone else has any ideas...
    Ryan's DVD has really made me watch some of the duels a bit, um, harder, than I have before and would really like to physically try out a couple of moves to see if they really happened like they looked to happen on the screen.

Trevor

12. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    Saturday night sounds good..however it is supposed to rain from today straight throught until Saturday (At least that is what the weahter channel suggested.)

13. alexandertrooper1

alexandertrooper1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    sounds cool to us as well. We had alot of fun and things are really starting to come together in my head. Abit sore after class but its all good.

14. Old_Republic

Mar 21, 2005
    Ok, who's in for Saturday?

This is great having more cuts. When I grab a broom handle and go through it at work 1, 2, 3, 4 from all the starting positions and forward and backward it almost feels like choreography.

Trevor

15. alexandertrooper1

Jun 13, 2005
    when and where and I'll do my best to get there.

16. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    I can too provided the weather cooperates

17. alexandertrooper1

Jun 13, 2005
    I'll call Dave as well and let him know just in case he hasn't read this.

18. GoodLife

GoodLife Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    Well I'm "supposed" to goto a wedding & reception tomorrow.. but I don't know the people (my girlfriends friend.. blah blah blah..). I'm not exactly ecited to goto it, so if there's any way I can thankfully NOT end up there.. I'm in for practice for sure.

19. Nite_shift

Nite_shift Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    I was wondering, where abouts is this going to take place?

20. Old_Republic

Mar 21, 2005
    AFAIK, we're still on but it sounds as if there will only be 4 or 5 of us tonight. I wonder if we should all have each other on a phone list to make these practises easier to organize?

Trevor

21. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    Having a phone list might be good. Did you PM everyone else that is interested for tonight? See you all there!

22. Nite_shift

Nite_shift Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    Hey Old_republic, i sent u a pm about tonight,

23. alexandertrooper1

Jun 13, 2005
    well my self and Lana will be there for sure. Who else is coming?

24. Old_Republic

Mar 21, 2005
    I'm beginning to think my PM function doesn't work all that well. I've sent off messages sometimes and it's as if they don't get through.
    It sounds like it's only going to alextroop and Lana, lexial, niteshift, **maybe** goodlife (have fun at the wedding dude;-)) and myself. Nobody else posted or PM'd me for directions. Maybe Saturday night's not the best night, Thursday got a better response.

Trevor

25. alexandertrooper1

Jun 13, 2005
    very fun I think we all should get together almost every saturday unless something else comes up. I know next saturday between the toy show and jordan bbq we are kinda busy but at least I'll see you all at the toy show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.