main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saber Styles

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SithLord-Will, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Thouout the Saga, we have sen may great Lightsaber Duels... Now lets analize,

It has been noted that Dooku, fihts in th syle of Fencing, and its plainly obvious that Maul takes a more martial arts approah o his fighting, but what about the others?

This thread is to determin wha stle of sword techniques the Jedi/Sith take, disuss analize, see what changes from PT to OT...

2. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Well, the Sith fighting style has always been more strong, more offensive. More powerful. The Jedi have always been more finesse, and defensive.

3. total_regression

total_regression Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2003
    I'd say the Ep. IV battle between Vader and Kenobi is what could be called a 'wheelchair' style. ;)

4. DarthShatner

DarthShatner Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2003
    There used to a great site on the web which analysed all the players fighting styles plus an exhaustive lightsabre encyclopedia right down to inconsistencues between PT and OT designs.

Vader - His outfit with shoulder pads resembles samurai armour and style is basically to bludgeon his opponent into submission by raising his sabre over his shoulders.

Luke - An untrained boy > GL said that the fights in E5 and E6 were "an untrained boy fighting a cripple"

Yoda - Angry Wasp?

Some of the techinquies developed for E1 included tree felling motions, a classic defensive cricket shot and tennis fore hand manouvres can be seen - basiically they just used any swinging motion they could think of.

Obi wan in E1 is a bit flash and "unproffesional" he twirls his sabre around (displaced aggresion) he does not do this in E2. In E4 although old he is still not to be messed with and far from 'armless (da dum! pisssshhhh!)

the fight with vader uses a style called fighting for sentre usually the chosen method of older japanese kendo masters - its very deadly.

5. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    the sith style is based more on power since they use the force more agressivly then jedi. and they taunt you to expose fear and doubt .dookus style he learned as a jedi which was form 2 and is very rare form since its a very old form but he was a master of it . and a actually held his own with yoda who was surprised dooku was that good

there is one jedi form that focuses on power which is form 5 which anakin took up i think to early ,as a padawan hewas not ready to study that form at a young age i think that it helped open him up to teh dark side

but vapaad form 7 which mace windu created is the only form which uses sithly use of power and agression there are only two masters of this form, mace and depa his padawan .this form is so deadly that if you study it ,it can send you to the darkside .

but dont sleep on obi wans form 3 mastery i find that to be the up most reflection of this noble jedi because is was the most non agressive form of saber fighting , you was unbeatable because the whole form was based on defense . as powerful as vader was he could not beat obi wan ,untill he made him self one with the force.but the down fall of obi wans form was that is not a powerful form ,while he may have been unbeatable he couldnot thave beaten vader

i would have paid to see mace windu and maul go head to head that woudld have been a fight for the books even samuel jackson gives hint that it might take two people to beat mace windu

6. DarthShatner

Jun 20, 2003
    interesting post effortless skill but definately not canonical thus irrelevant

7. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
    canonical ?what does that mean.

8. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, that info can be found in the AotC Visual Dictionary. So I wouldnt say its entirely without merit.

9. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
    i never read aotc visual dictionary that came from my own studying i am big fan of saber styles

10. DarthShatner

Jun 20, 2003
    my posting covers mainly the OT with E1 in for thrwon measure - i doubth that the visDictionary for AOTC covers the fight sequnces in E5 and E6

and to requote GL ---->

"an untrained boy fighting a cripple"

also its worth pointing out the the obi-vader duel was designed in that way due to the fact that either the wooden dowell in the sbares or the venerable sir alec g kept getting damaged!!!

when they fight in that scene and when they first set eyese on each other they both know the outcome of the fight before either of hem have drawn their sabres.

it was a strategically distracting conversational reunion not a lightsabre battle

11. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    The Star Wars Insider 62 that talked about the seven forms of combat said that Luke was basically being forced to learn as he went,it said that he was learning the Jedi combat arts on his own by adapting to the situations he was facing.
    on page 36 it says:

In his duel against Darth Vader on Bespin,Luke Skywalker reveals himself as an extraordinarily gifted artist with the blade who has largely taught himself. After a single brief session with Obi-Wan Kenobi years ago, and only short time with Yoda,Skwalker is able to hold up against a Dark Lord of the Sith at the height of his powers. It is only Vader's much greater experience that gives the Dark Lord the dominant edge in the battle.

Return of the Jedi
    By the time of the Battle of Endor, Luke Skywalker has studied some lightsaber technique from Obi-Wan's journal and greatly advanced his abilities.Without a Master,such advancement would be nearly impossible for most, but Skywalker's unparalleled aptitude makes him a match for Darth Vader in their fateful duel onboard the second Death Star. Both are limited,Vader by his cybernetic body parts and Skywalker by his relative lack of experience dueling. But Skywalker's skill at blaster deflection is highly refined,and his lightsaber technique is so superb that he is able to duel the Dark Lord on even footing---and finally able to defeat a man who is a powerfull living product of the ancient Jedi sword traditions from time immerorial.Such an achievement with little formal training is a testament to Skywalker's innate abilities and instinctive skill. Tremendously strong with the Force, Skywalker never crosses the line into Sith hatefulness and ceases his attack immediately upon rendering his foe helpless---an even more impressive demonstration of self-mastery than his lightsaber skills.

In his final assault on Vader,Luke Skywalker mirrors Vader's own Form V Technique and responds with a furious demonstration of From V's raw strength. An observing Jedi Master would be astonished at such instantaneous learning in battle.

12. Qui-Gon-Jinn2

Qui-Gon-Jinn2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 10, 2002
    A brief Rundown

Form 1- Basic, the ones they teach to younglings. veryone moves out of this stage

Form 2 (Dooku)- Old style of fighting, fencing, precise!

Form 3- (Obi) Defensive, almost unbreakable but difficult to win because your always on the defense

form 4 (QGJ and Yoda)- acrobatic, uses the force to guide their movements

form 5- (Vader) Aggressive

Form 6 (c. Trembor)- Wussy style

Form7- (Mace and DM) Blend of DS AND LS tendencies.

13. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    You got it Qui-Gon. Thats exactly what it is- and that IS canon. It was in the AotC Visual Dictionary and Star Wars:Insider. I believe SWI even consulted GL for info about the styles...

14. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Could you elaborate a bit more on form six... I don't know what Trembor means.

15. Darth_Saber-master

Darth_Saber-master Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2003
    i'd like to congratulate Qui-Gon-Jinn2 for his "brief rundown" of saber techniques. very good, although i find your lack of faith....i....er....i mean....i find the comment about C.Trembor being a "wussy" disturbing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.