main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Sabine

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Feb 16, 2014.

1. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I would think it rhymes with divine.

2. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Trust me, I did a double take when I was first told it. "Wait her name is Sabrina?" "No it's Sabine."

(It was a professor I was approaching about a scholarship, so I was afraid of mispronouncing it.)

3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I have to say, like this topic, I think the pronunciation of Sabine's name will be most sublime.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I just skimmed the internet for what hits I can find on the name and according to some baby name website it is a name that is also used in English (I've never heard it) and French, and in those languages it is "sah-been" while in German it is "sah-been-eh."

Source

Then there was also an Italic tribe called the Sabines that went to war with the Romans. No idea how it would be pronounced in their case.

EDIT: In the tribe's case it's "say-bine"

Skiara likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Note: given Sabine's age (she looks about 16-17 to me, but could be closer to 15) then she'd have already have to have been born, and almost a year old, in the Mauldalore episodes if she was Bo-Katan's daughter. This seems unlikely to me. Of course, the Mauldalore episodes might be farther away from Episode III than we think, and thus could easily be said that Sabine (if they say she's 14-16) was born some time between then and ROTS.

Edit: My brother speculated her name could be pronounced Say-been.

6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    To my knowledge, there's nothing in TCW to indicate that Bo didn't have a child. If she did and the child was a toddler, it's not like Bo would be carrying her into battle or anything. She'd likely be hidden somewhere safe while Bo and the Death Watch continue their attempted coup against Satine.

My argument that it's Bo's daughter really hinged on the assumption that it was conspicuous that Filoni would choose to name a Mandalorian girl in Rebels with such a similar name to "Satine" and that it couldn't be coincidence.

If Sabine is pronounced substantially different than Satine, then my argument goes out the window. Though I still maintain that on paper nobody noticed that they were essentially recycling a name with the change of a letter?

And while she may not be Bo's daughter specifically, I suspect a connection to her or Satine in some direct form, merely because Filoni at one point said he had a well developed back story and family history for Satine and Bo's family and that he would like to tell that story in the future. We've heard zilch about it since then, and now the new Star Wars show that he is in charge of is including a Mandalorian with a conspicuous looking name. So, I figure she figures into Filoni's history of Bo and Satine somehow, but I could be wrong.

7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, we do know that unless Korkie is Bo-Katan's son (like she'd name her son Korkie; anyone who would deserves a punch in the face) that Satine had at least one other sibling. Maybe Korkie had a sister we didn't know about? Or you could be right, Bo's daughter Sabine could've been in hiding during the war. However, my problem with that is that Bo and Satine were apparently estranged, so why would Bo name her child after her estranged sister? It would be honoring to her if she did so after Satine's death, but not so much beforehand, unless Bo always felt badly about the estrangement and secretly wanted to reconcile all along.

TaradosGon likes this.
  8. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    You're right about it being awkward to name her daughter after Satine whilst simultaneously trying to overthrow her.

There's also the matter of Sabine not looking remotely like Satine or Bo, or any other North European looking Mandalorians of TCW. So, they could either go with the EU explanation of other Mandalorian groups existing elsewhere outside of Sundari (with perhaps greater diversity), or there would have to be the introduction of foreign genes, and I do recall quite a few people asking Filoni about the Spar plotline from the EU and whether he would ever figure into the Mandalorians of TCW and he implied that Spar wouldn't. But the clones are a bunch of darker skinned, black haired, soldiers cloned from the DNA of a Mandalorian - who himself didn't seem to match the prevalent phenotypes of the New Mandalorians. Plus, where would a bunch of disillusioned warriors go after leaving the Empire (Filoni has said that some clones stay with the Empire and some become dissatisfied with it)? Seems like joining a warrior culture would make sense.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Joining a group that made killing Satine one of it's primary goals doesn't sound like secretly wanting to reconcile. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if there is some relation between Sabine, Satine and/or Bo-Katan.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That was my point; she would have been extremely unlikely to have named her after her sister before she died. Afterwards, it would've made sense because she seemed sad about the death and even willing to have relations, albeit tense, with her before her death at the beginning of the episode. I'm only disappointed that Korkie never said "Auntie Bo." :(

Mia Mesharad and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  11. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe she's Satine and Obi-Wan's daughter. :p [face_beatup]

klooney, DanielUK and Dra--- like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    NOOOOOO- *runs out of breath, gasps* -OOOOOO!

13. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think being Bo and Satine's niece sounds the best, if there has to be some relation with them.

Katarn's Beard likes this.
  14. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I dont think she is necessarily related to Sabine. After all those Mandos had nobody but white people. Although I expect Greg to remedy that problem quite quickly.

Revanfan1, Mia Mesharad and Contessa like this.
  15. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This is one of the things that most excites me about Sabine, since we know next to nothing about who she actually is aside from her looks. With Weisman, we can actually see the multi-racial, multi-species Mandalorians of the warrior clans brought to the screen instead of the utterly bland and homogenous all-white New Mandalorians. Hopefully Sabine is just the tip of the iceberg and there'll be more Mandos of color on the horizon as her story expands.

16. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I really like her design; seems like a promising character. She also looks at least vaguely Asian and I like that; some diversity is nice and also important (to break for the abeformentioned norm with Mandalorians in TCW) and if she's a central character, it'll be a first for Star Wars since as far as I know, there hasn't been an Asian-looking character in a prominent role before on-screen.

Contessa likes this.
  17. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I find it kinda hard to believe that "german/scandinavian" looking blonde and redhead "englishman" would produce blackhaired offspring that also looks like "asian":p

I still think that Korkie is Obi-Wan's son though:p . If Sabine is Bo-Katan's daughter she looks like her father I presume.

18. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I like her, this could be interesting. Hopefully she'll not be a brat or something...

Also, the name exists in many languages. In Hungarian, we have "Szabina" ('sah-been-ah'), and I've heard it many times in German too, as Sabine ('sah-been-eh"). I hope the pronounce it like the did with Satine.

19. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Seems like she will be a pretty kickass character, but of course I'll have to see her in action before I can judge either way. I've know opinion on her being related to Bo Katan either way. I suppose we'll know if she slaps Hera on the butt in one episode.

But yeah, I love the idea of a reoccurring female Mando character.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Guys.

Obi-Wan, unlike his apprentice, took the time to put on a raincoat before playing in the rain.

No secret Kenobi kids.

21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I actually found it a little conspicuous that the first Mandalorian we see (excluding Boba Fett, because we never saw him with his helmet off in the OT) was portrayed by a Maori actor. But then TCW chose all subsequent Mandalorians to be North European in appearance. I mean, other Mandalorians of other phenotypes were obviously out there, whether it be a "Concord Dawn" ethnicity or whatever. It would have been odd if they kept portraying all Mandalorians as they were in TCW.

My only hesitation about the character, is that all other Mando warriors were kind of represented as being no non-sense types: Jango, Pre Vizsla, Bo. And I'll lump Canderous in with them as the only other one I really know of. I'll reserve judgement until I see her in action, but she could get on my nerves if she's presented as the cheerful and perky sidekick to Ezra and Kanan - which is my immediate impression from the artwork. Unless she's merely using Mandalorian equipment and not actually Mandalorian.

I guess there's nothing saying that a Mandalorian can't be perky. But I guess I'm just hoping that they won't have the super annoying, cheerful side kick, regardless of their story.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

I see where you guys are coming from, but isn't there an element of double-cancellation going on here?

Because Filoni said that he was pushing for canon-centric Mandalorians, but George's story dictated the use of the New Mandalorian group. I think from Filoni's perspective, the last thing he wanted to include was Mandalorians from the warrior clans, because that would have dictated changing them. Instead, if you add something to the pot that we didn't know about before, you've got a little corner of the sandbox for yourself, and that means you can make something that doesn't risk overwriting what came before. And of course, Deathwatch look like the New Mandalorians as well because they were once a part of the clan that the New Mandalorians came from. To me, that's Filoni doing canon a huge favor.

23. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    According to the opening paragraph in his 'wook bio, Korkie is indeed nepwhew to both Satine and Bo (although I didn't see a source, so I'm not sure what exactly informs that).

But gee, you sure are right about that God-awful name!

I tried -- I really, really did try to get into him as a character, but darn it if that name doesn't take me right out of the moment any time anyone calls out to him. :D

I think out only hope is for us to discover that it's a nickname that he will put away along with other childish things as he grows up. *fingers crossed*

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The only time I liked him (the only time he ever did anything worth doing, honestly) was when he knocked out that Death Watch guard to save Satine. That was pretty cool, actually. Even though I am almost completely apathetic to him, I hope that he's not dead. My brother insists that that one sucker punch the horn-helmeted DW captain gave him snapped his neck. :p

Also, BTW, the Mando girls, Soniee and Lagos, were actually pretty cute for cartoon characters–except for the "string cheese" noses. [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I immediately thought his rescue of Satine was awesome, but then what happens? Satine calls out "Korkie!" and the spell is broken.

Okay, it's not really as bad as I'm making it out to be, and the name didn't bother me half as much when he first appeared as a kid, but come on, you're a young man now -- it's time to put "Korkie" away. :)

I did think it was awesome when we got to see all of the kids return during the Mauldalore arc. And it was said that they got away, too, was it not? I hope we'll have the chance to catch up with them again one day.

Revanfan1 likes this.