main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Sabine

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Funny, when I first saw Sabine, she's the not I was thinking of.

[​IMG]

2. shorttrooper

shorttrooper Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 3, 2014
    I really want to see her get a full set of mandalorian armor as well. And a rocket pack :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I really want to see her get an actual personality first. Arty, okay that's cool. Likes blowing things up, also cool. But really that's about it. Apparently she was on Mandalore... at some point. She was Empire-aligned... at one point. Now she's a Rebel but we still have no idea why - what made her switch sides? Or anything about her past either. Is she an orphan? Did she leave her family to join the rebels? Did they abandon her BECAUSE she joined the Rebels? We have absolutely no idea.

Is she a 'true' Mando? From Death Watch Lineage? We know more about flipping Zeb than we do about Sabine. I for one really hope that changes this season.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    That part about being "Empire-aligned". Is that mere speculation, or is that some information that's been leaked somewhere?

5. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    I seem to remember her mentioning off hand at one point she was in an Imperial academy of some sort. It was literally a single line in a single episode from memory. It is possible I am getting that mixed up with Ezra's own undercover operation. So in either case it was not necessarily of her own free will but I am sure she was an Imperial cadet of one sort or another...

6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    She mentioned it to Hera in that episode with the creatures at fort anaxes I think.

7. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    That's the one I was thinking it was, but as I say it was literally a passing reference. From memory she didn't seem very proud of it, hence 'Empire-aligned' rather than 'pro-Empire.'

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's what I really don't like about Rebels to this point. They're either counting on its viewers to either get their hands on the comics and/or novels deemed canon material or relying on us to pay attention to those subtle hints dropped here and there during the episodes (which usually have nothing to do with the plots whatsoever).

9. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    I don't totally agree. Kanan started dropping a few vague hints about his past, by now we know the exact details - his master was Depa Billaba, who died in Order 66 - she ordered him to flee, he did, and has still got scars over it. Zeb is a member of a dying species... we know that Kallus was responsible, and which weapon he used to do it. The rest of it is just fleshing out the details. I am hoping it will be Sabine's turn to get the treatment next. It's pretty typical of Greg Weisman (who has since left of course) to drop little nuggets like that and pick them up later. Gargoyles is the best example but most of his work does something pretty similar. Whether it will continue in his absence remains to be seen.

You could really make the same argument for Ahsoka's reappearance in Rebels. Big fanfare, dramatic reveal... someone who came in fresh to Rebels, never having seen TCW is going to be totally underwhelmed.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But Ahsoka was in TCW (not to mention her introduction in the Clone Wars movie). It's different than turning your viewing audience towards a completely separate medium (comics and books).

11. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Yes, but I still don't see that anyone's been turned towards any other medium, yet. Kanan dropped a few hints early on about a troubled past. Later, in the show itself, we were told precisely what happened. If you actually want to see those things play out, then yes you would need to read the book or the comic but we find out that Depa was killed by clones and he fled, and feels like a coward for doing it... and all of that is spelt out in the show itself.

And someone who has ONLY seen Rebels is still going to be totally baffled by who the heck Ahsoka is. She takes her hood off, says her name... and that's it. Why would someone whose starting totally clean with Rebels have any idea who this Ahsoka is? In the second season we get the stuff about her being Skywalker's old apprentice but in the first season she just pops up out of nowhere. It's turning someone over to a separate show in the same medium. It's really not that much different/better.

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I remember the Archmage. A minor villain from the pilot who gets killed off in his first appearance with very little fanfare. Jump to mid-Season 2, and he's the main villain of a massive multi-episode arc involving Avalon, King Arthur, time-travel, magic, etc.

Ahsoka's Tano and jakobitis89 like this.
  13. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    He really is one of the best producers of animation in the business. It's a real shame he's gone, and that's no dig at Filoni - Weisman has Gargoyles and Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice amongst others beneath his belt. All three of those show exactly how you can have properly family friendly all age animation that doesn't dumb down to kiddy level but doesn't think 'mature' means blood and boobs and swearing, either... and are all very good besides.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Gargoyles was easily among the most underrated of animated series ever. What I thoroughly enjoyed about that series was how it referenced the Shakespeare classics (Macbeth in particular) with a twist that even youngsters could appreciate and follow. That scene where Macbeth, Duncan, and their sons confront the Weird Sisters as they're chanting the infamous line, "Double, double toil and trouble.....all hail Macbeth!!!!" Pure epic; never gets old.

rumsmuggler and jakobitis89 like this.
  15. Cacau

Cacau Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2015
    I just love the idea of Jango being the father of Sabine. That could bring us an amazing plot with her and Boba...

16. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    We've only had 15 episodes, not even a full proper season. It shouldn't be surprising that there are some unanswered questions about their backgrounds.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Timing wouldn't quite work, as Jango was already dead for about two years by the time Sabine was born.

But I like the idea behind it: A surprising parentage which offers an unexpected dynamic between a new character (Wren) and old (Boba). It might have been neat.

Anyhow, I agree that the biggest thing about Sabine right now is that we need to actually learn something more about her.* We do have some hints: Wren hails from Mandalore, where she attended the Imperial Academy before deciding to strike out against the Empire:

"Hera, you know what happened when I was a cadet at the Imperial Academy on Mandalore. I trusted the Empire, followed its orders blindly, and it was a nightmare."

And the additional published mater (YA novels, Sabine's "Rebel Sketchbook" and the like) may offer further clues (paging Iron_lord).

But when it comes to Wren, I really think the show needs to give us more to work with in Season 2 (and considering we never saw a proper end to the Mandalorian sub-plot from TCW, it seems to almost make too much sense to take an episode or two of Rebels and tie the two elements together and offer us some info on both).

*I'd actually say the same for Hera, too, if we hadn't the terrific A New Dawn to fill us in so brilliantly. Oh, and Lords of the Sith to tell us about her father, too.

18. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    Well, there is apparently a Sabine/Kanan team up episode in season 2 and they have a pretty epic adventure where she is BAMF.

19. Cacau

Cacau Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2015
    From which source do you have this information? I only read on Wookiepedia that Sabine was born 21BBY. Regarding that Jango died 22 BBY it could still work :)

20. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Or she could be the daughter of one of the clone troopers. Maybe one of them pulls a Spar and goes to mandalore near the end of the war.

21. Brandon G

Brandon G Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    Yeah true that!:D

22. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    AnakinColodin

Sabine is too old to be born at the end of the war, making it rather unlikely that a clone is her father since she would have to be conceived either before the war started or very very early in it. Add in that Mandalore, if she was born on Mandalore or by a Mandalorian, is neutral with no Repubic forces the chances are even smaller.

23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    There's also this exchange from the pilot (I might be getting it EXACTLY correct, but here's the jist of it).

Sabine: "We're a crew, friends, and in some way, a family."

Ezra: "Well what happened to your real family?"

Sabine (scowls): "The Empire." (in an obviously bitter/angry tone of voice).

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I was assuming that since she's said to be 16 during Season 1, and since everything after the first few episodes was set during 4 BBY, that Wren would have been born c. 20 BBY.

But if it's 21 BBY, then depending on when in the year she was born (info we don't have), it may be technically possible. It's still really, really pushing it for Jango to have been involved, but I suppose it may not be entirely out of the question.

Eh, but it's all moot, anyway. Even if we like the idea, I don't believe for a minute that there's any way in the world that this is what Lucasfilm has planned for Sabine's backstory. I'm a little more inclined to believe that her father may have been one of Fett's clones, but I think the chances of Lucasfilm doing that are almost as unlikely. Actually, were it not for the wrong eye color, looking at the Bridger family picture, I would have been more inclined to believe Ezra's dad was a clone.

I'll say this, though: Whoever Wren's family are, I'd really like to learn more about them. For one thing, Sabine the character needs the TLC. And not only that, but it'll be great to get some more Mandos into the canon! I'm still mad about the mandate from George about the Fetts not being Mandalorian. [face_beatup]

25. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    We already have clones who deserted as early as right after geonosis with Cut, so it is possible one did and could have gone to mandalore. Mandalore beimg neutral makes sense for a gar deserter to go to. Probably no extradition. We do not known exactly when in that year she was born.