main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Clan Wren

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by MandoArtist, Jan 4, 2017.

1. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    So in the latest trailer, we are finally introduced to Sabine's mother, who seems to be leading her own pack of Mandalorians that are probably not too fond of the Empire.

[​IMG]

But we don't exactly know her identity yet beyond her being Sabine's mom. Many of us theorised for a long time that Rook Kast was to be this woman, and it seems increasingly likely with her apparently having a relation to Gar Saxon (another ex-Death Watch) and with her sharing features with her from the comics, noticeably this:

[​IMG]
    The distinct "horns" that no one else thus far has been seen to possess.

So what do you all think?

2. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    I think it's all but a foregone conclusion at this point.

3. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Anyone recognise her voice as anyone in particular? Sounds kind of English despite Sabine sounds American because Tiya Sircar is but ah well. Maybe she got from her dad's side. Whoever he was. Now that the mystery of Sabine's mother is solved we can move onto figuring out who her dad is (Joking honestly but I wouldn't be surprised if people did start speculating)

4. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    I never really questioned who her dad could be. I just assumed it was some unnamed Mandalorian that left Deathwatch to raise her, whereas her Mother, possibly being Rook Kast, stuck around for Maul's growing Empire.

5. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
    I think that, in this case, it's safe to just say daddy Wren was just some Mando warrior. Trying to make him into another suprise reveal of some kind would cheapen the effect of finally showing her mom, and her mother's relevance to the overall storyline.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I guess so much for wishful thinking [face_sigh]

[​IMG]

7. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
    Sorry that you're disappointed, but Filoni did tell everyone Sabine had no relation to the Kryzes.

8. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    There is an imperial super commando that puts his hand on Sabine's shoulder in the trailer. Maybe that's her father ?

9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

The hilt looks screwy there like its backwards,lol

[​IMG]

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
    Yeah in the trailer she's holding it backwards in one scene, and then correctly in the next one. It's kinda weird.

Darth Basin likes this.
  11. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Eh, I highly doubt it.

12. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I imagine this means we'll get to know exactly what was meant that "The Empire" happened to Sabine's family. I mean, it's clear to see from this trailer that, at the very least, her mother is currently at odds with them. I have to wonder, perhaps her father remained loyal to the Empire while her mother chose to fight, tearing their family apart. I guess we'll (presumably) get answers soon.

13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Actually, I'm looking at that helmet, the possibility her mother is Rook Kast, what Saxon said in his episode, and the presence of that Supercommando in her camp, and coming up with this:

Rook Kast is Sabine's mother. She also does currently pledge fealty to the Empire, but as a kind of intermediate between the near autonomy we saw the a Protectors had and the integration that Saxon's Supercommandos had. That's the reason her clan's armor has some similarity to both groups; it's mostly the traditional base the Protectirs wore under their flight equipment, but with more Imperial belts and a white color scheme (might be camouflage as well, but we've seen Mandos without Camo). Saxon and Sabine's dialogue implies that Sabine's mother doesn't like the Empire, but is *compelled* to obey.

It's possible that Clan Wren remained loyal to Darth Maul's Death Watch even as the Shadow Collective came tumbling down, as seen in Ahsoka. So, in the aftermath of Maul being driven from Mandalore, Clan Wren finds itself without a power base and many enemies; Bo-Katan's Resistance was unlikely to support the Empire even after summoning the Republic, and somehow Saxon went from enemy of the Republic, the Separatists, and the Resistance to the Empire's "Viceroy." So, seeking security, Clan Wren took the initial offer of Viceroy Saxon's protection, with Sabine enrolling in the Imperial Academy.

But something happened that showed the Supercommandos as kow-towing collaborators, and the Empire as petty, honorless despots. Sabine and Ketsu deserted the Empire, while Rook may have withdrawn her fealty, and maybe even retreated to the planet Viszla had the Death Watch headquartered with the snow and blossom trees. But it's almost impossible to operate and remain safe without some kind of protector, so eventually Rook reluctantly returned to the fold. And the reason a Supercommando stands out in her HQ is because he's a liaison.

And Sabine's goal will be to rebuke Saxon's authority using the Darksaber and martial prowess, and then use those same traits to get autonomous traditionalists like Fenn Rau's supporters, desperate persona non grata clans like the Wrens, and the Kryze Resistance to unite without killing each other.

14. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Sabine's mother looks on a snow world? She seemed to come off as somewhere between a resistance to the Imperial puppet Mandalore regime and a personal competitor and rival of Saxon's, while at the same time seemed like a former ally. I think it would be kinda lame if Bo-Katan and Rook Kast were best friends and from the looks of it, at least some of the Nite Owls are run by whoever Sabine's mother is, the sporting the Owl type visor does not look like there is any one type of Mandalorian visor. Maul's Death Watch turned them from being generic Fett-looking thugs into really cool fanatic warriors, and their colors looked the best when under his rule. There seems to have been only Death Watch in TCW, now Rebels(and the Kanan comic) seems to indicate it fractured into Saxon, Rau and Bo-Katan during the war. The later of which was not mentioned in the "Ahsoka book, it mainly just talked about Rex and her clone detachment. If fighting for his home, you'd think Rau would've fought during the Siege of Mandalore. The Ahsoka book did not really delve into any particulars, when she was facing Maul, she herself was unsure her forces would have a victory, she was hoping. Maul stood his ground and fought on Mandalore, but his soldiers seemed somewhere else and we don't know where but they were absent and he apparently without any guards. He managed to escape off the ray shields and the Order 66 execution all off camera and its retold to the audience in passing by Ahsoka where it did not really seem she knew how but its seemed like it was something Maul was capable of unsurprisingly.

Sabine's stealing the darksaber from Maul's lair, is thievery as she never earned the blade. But I do suspect Maul anticipated & left the sword there for her to find. Jedi and Sith are able to see into the future and foresee events before they happen. If he wants her to have the sword, then he seems to be looking for a new ally. He could've destroyed the sword or taken it with him but he just left it there.

I would imagine the duel between her and Saxon with the lightsabers would be similar to Maul vs Vizsla's duel, least as far as determination of who is in charge - but Saxon already got beaten badly by Sabine so I don't really expect these episodes to be all that great. It would be a shame if Sabine dies, its not something I expect to happen but the writers usually always tend to kill off their best characters, often even prematurely.

Darth Basin likes this.
  15. tampering

tampering Jedi Knight

Jan 4, 2017
    I assume it's not a animation goof and it's because Sabine's a smart girl.

She lit the saber holding the hilt backwards so the 'blade side' was facing towards herself. Like you would if handing a knife to someone. An estranged runaway daughter and wanted as a terrorist suddenly home with a gang of jedi. In the previous frame you can see the one in the Imperial armour is reaching to grab her as she pulls the blade until he sees she's not about to rush her mom because the blade is facing backwards. They'd have all been shot if the Mandos thought she was pointing the blade at mom.

[​IMG]
    Mom looks East Asian much more specifically than Sabine, has a hair style straight from the Tokugawa shogunate. That whole Mando sequence is like a gender reversed samurai movie, in which the prodigal offspring returns to the ancestral home with something to rally the Daimyo to return to battle so they can reclaim the family's fortune and honour.

Maybe they looked to feudal Japan to construct the current Mando political situation. Bo-Katan or Korkie holds the royal title of Duke/Duchess but are under house arrest (which Saxon calls protective custody in the palace) because of the lawless state of Mandalore. Saxon would be in charge as viceroy which is equivalent to the Shogun signing treaties on behalf of Japan under the title of Taikun.

So Rau, and other off world protectors loyal to the crown, don't recognize Saxon's authority but doesn't really move against him because he did not remove the royal family just put them under protection. Clans like Sabine's went along with it because peace and Imperial policy were bringing prosperity. I can't imagine the pacifist government was good for Mandalore's weapon exporting industry.

The endgame would be that the royal family will be freed and restored to the throne but with some sort of council led by Sabine, Rau and warrior clan leaders holding the power.

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Wasn't it more or less confirmed Rook was her mother?

Darth Basin likes this.
  17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Good comparison with the Shogunate parallels. I think we may see some Arthurian, Westerosi, and Tolkein parallels as well. For instance, I kind of doubt that the House Kryze is much of a royal family that needs to be "placed under protection," and more like a Great House or Japanese Daimiyo clan, where any hostages would just be hostages like the ones the Shogun required. House Vizsla, House Kryze, and any number of major Houses may have hostages under Viceroy Saxon. And I figure Saxon either belongs to a Great House himself, or to House Vizsla like Clan Wren (and possibly Clan Kast).

And I think Sabine with the Darksaber is more like King Arthur or Aragorn; a "rightful king" returning with a powerful symbol of authority. Pre Viszla carried the Darksaber and overthrew Satine's ducal government, while embracing the warrior ways of a "Lord Mandalore" (the title's supposedly canon thanks to DVD extras from TCW, and the position seems canon from the Protector's traditional job). Maul took it and got recognition from enough Mandalorians to hurtle the planet to Lawless (good reference, by the by) chaos, though still got rejected by Clan Kryze, and possibly the Protectors (the Praetorian Guard, effectively), considering Fenn's men have issues with Death Watch and were fighting for the Republic as mercs.

So Sabine, a skilled *Mandalorian* returning, wielding the Darksaber blade used by the last person to claim the title Mandalore, with a bodyguard formed by the last remaining Protector who was cruelly betrayed by a collaborator representing a foreign power.

Vegeta Daimo and tampering like this.
  18. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    It was just speculated among fans, but never officially confirmed by Lucasfilm.

Darth Basin likes this.
  19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Mandalorians do not use swords so its likely not anything to do with them per say. The sword appears to be held backwards signaling a gift offering to her mother, so tampering was correct on that.

[​IMG]

The voice of the mother sounds familiar, like from TCW or something, Maybe the girl that did Barriss.

20. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    She does sound familiar yeah. I know I've heard her voice before but I can't place it.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    "Kast?" Hearing that name again gets me excited!

22. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Darkslayer

There's a high possibility that's she's Sabine's mother. They look alike; and Gar Saxon knows her. Not to mention the similarities of their helmets.

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. tampering

tampering Jedi Knight

Jan 4, 2017

I'm still not sure Sabine will rule as a Lady (Lord) Mandalore. The saber could become more a rallying symbol of 'national' unity and part of the regalia of the Mando State needed to crown the rightful ruler.

I think she's likely to be the Joan of Arc character, who inspires her countrymen to expel the English from Reims Cathedral so that the rightful King of France could be crowned. Incidentally this is why I don't buy the Sabine is too young to overthrow the Empire from Mandalore chorus. By the time Jeanne d'Arc was Sabine's age in S3 she had already rallied the French armies, seen Charles VII crowned at Reims and was about to be captured, tried and burned at the stake by the English.
    I'd love to hear Mom's backstory and Saxon's rise. The shows format doesn't really lend itself to do that in depth. Hope we'll get other media. If she is Rook Kast, I'd really love to hear what she thinks of Bo-Katan especially if Sabine tries to present Bo as a consensus candidate as ruler to replace Saxon.

godisawesome likes this.
  24. Darth_Narcissist

Darth_Narcissist Jedi Knight

Feb 25, 2012
    Kind of wondering what hapened to her and where she would be now in the rebels time line

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I know I'm obviously in the minority here, but I'm far more concerned with knowing the fates of established characters from the last full animated series than I am with characters that made their names in the EU.