main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sabre Handle Dimensions?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DarthFoole, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthFoole

DarthFoole Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2001
    Hey all.
    I've been using the guidelines from The Big Yellow Box to make a sabre hilt, but I'm concerned that it's really big. Anyone know the dimensions of the movie sabres? I'm moderately restricted because I'm using plumbing pieces, and I don't know if i can get a slightly smaller size.
    [image=http://www.gameknave.net/starwars/sabre_handle.jpg]

This thing is 1.5 inches in diameter and about 14 inches long...

2. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    Use whatever is most comfortable for you. Don't worry about "exact movie dimensions". If you like it, then go with it. :)

BTW - that looks really good! Nice job!

3. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Like Jalera said, go with what feels good to you. I made a saber that was 1 1/4" in diameter and I found it fine. There was enough room for a two-hand grip and two buttons on top of that.

4. dan005e

dan005e Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    The prequel sabers were 1.25 inches in diameter and about 12 inches long. But it all depends on 2 things. 1)Fighting style 2)Personal Preferance.

My saber is 1.25 inches in diameter and about 12.5 inches long from the tip of the emitter to the end of the pommel. It has a comfortable grip and weight for me.

Tailor the saber too what you think feels well balanced and comfortable.

BTW Your saber looks great!

5. DarthFoole

Mar 23, 2001
    Thanks. I'd showed a guy i know who said it looked enormous. I'm not as much concerned with the length as I am with the thickness. the cross-sectional area (and thus, volume) difference between 1.25" and 1.5" ends up being 44%. a 1.5" diameter cylinder has almost 50% more volume than a 1.25" cylinder.
    but i guess i'm just hoping it doesn't look too dumb.

6. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I personally think the slightly longer saber hilts look kinda cool.
    They remind me of a "battle/barbarian" double-hand sword, or even a specialized style of fighting.

(Heck, look at Dooku's saber - all curved 'n' stuff) ;)

7. Shadows_545

Shadows_545 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 2002
    Master replicas make them exactly like in the movies right?

Well here is the Dimensions to Obi-Wan Episode 2 lightsaber:

Dimensions:
    Length 11"
    Height 1.7"
    Width 1.5"
    Weight approx. 1 lb*

*EDIT* While these are Dimensions from the Master Replica Site can someone explain how length and height aren't the same? This has been troubleing me greatly....

Shadow...

8. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    Looks proportional to the hand. Several double bladed sabers in fan films were too thin, making them look a little like batons used in high school bands.

9. MattesKrymsod

MattesKrymsod Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    I've made about 5 different hilts and I'm going to back up whatever is comfortable for you. Like, get a wooden dowel or something (a really thick one) or just even some hilt-sized objects and swing it around to get the feel of how big you like them.

With my saber style I prefer a hilt about 1 inch diameter and 1 foot long.

T'all varies.

10. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Based on the plethora of lightsaber I've collected, both OT and Prequel-era.. The length is typically between 10-12", with a "main" width between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". By "main width" I mean the size of the main body of the lightsaber. For example, the Luke ANH saber's main hilt was 1.5" in diameter, but there's added diameter to the grips, activation box, etc. The Obi-Wan TPM/AOTC saber has a main diameter of 1.25" where the grips are, but the emitter section goes up to 1.5". Little variations, etc. But somewhere in that general range.

It also varies on the individual that's going to use it. Liam Neeson chose a rather large design for Qui-Gon Jinn's lightsaber.. 1.5" at the grips, nearly a full foot long. But Liam Neeson is a pretty big guy, so Obi-Wan's smaller lightsaber would have looked tiny in his hands.

So basically, build it to whatever looks good for you, and whatever feels right when you're holding it or fighting with it.

11. DarthFoole

Mar 23, 2001
    schweet. That's what I figured. I'll go ahead and call this good and start putting greebly bits on it.

Update about the sabre: i dropped it about 15 minutes after my last post and shattered the pommel piece. arghhh!!!

Glue! I need Glue!!!

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    IMO, since it broke, find a metal pommel to replace it, or at least something that isnt obviously a sink knob, that one in particular I see used quite often.

Other than that I really like it. Good luck with your greebles.

13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    But Liam Neeson is a pretty big guy, so Obi-Wan's smaller lightsaber would have looked tiny in his hands.

And indeed it did, if anyone's seen the image from the cutscene where he's holding the frizzed lightsaber in the swamp and giving Obi what-for.

Frankly this is one thing that bugged me about Episode II and all the alien Jedi like Kit Fisto -- they had these MASSIVE hands with great long fingers and it looked like they were having serious difficulty keeping hold of the "standard" sized lightsabers they were holding.

M. Scott

14. Animator_Steve

Animator_Steve Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2002
    Ya, they should have made their hilts a little bit bigger, but anyways, when I make my lightsaber, I'm just gonna make it Length: 12" and Diamater: Either 1" - 1.25" I don't really have big hands so...ya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.