main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Sabyne's Scribbles - Drabbles of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SabyneAmberle, Mar 10, 2014.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SABYNE! SQUEEEEEEEEE! Just the idea of a memory box made me gooey inside and then Torian's question and her reply [face_dancing] Simply scrumptious perfect [:D]

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I've been enjoying your Ky stories, so I'm glad to see her return in this one—I like her nostalgic streak. She's a TOR player character, right? I like the way your stories go into her background, given that in TOR one learns all about the NPCs but never about the player character! Very nice work. :)

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww that was sooooooo sweet! [face_love][face_love][face_love]

Memory boxes are an awesome idea.

Great response.

4. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    All right! Here is my latest 'Edited' entry. This one was tricky to condense in this fashion, so I may look at expanding it into its own full fic. This one is 'Between Brothers'.

“Good work, vode,” Corridan's voice echoed through the small clearing where the team had made camp. “Make sure you all eat well and rest up, we break camp in the morning.”

After letting out a loud 'Oya!', the group dispersed. Some headed to the fire, where dinner was being served. Others had headed to their tents, where they hastily began packing their belongings in preparation for dismissal the next day.

Shielding his eyes from the late afternoon sun, he made his way through the camp. He cast his gaze about until he spotted the individual he was looking for. Before he approached, he made a quick detour to his tent to grab his pack, slinging it onto his shoulder as he walked. He could see the other was quietly tearing down his own camp, leaving a small ring of flattened grass around his tent.

Corridan leaned casually against a small tree. “Torian,” he said, raising an eyebrow as the young warrior straightened up abruptly. In all the years he had known Torian, he had never been able to surprise him. He had tried countless times, but had been foiled by the young man's serious, watchful nature.

Torian looked back over his shoulder. “Su'cuy,” he replied. Corridan could tell he was trying his best to keep his tone casual.

“You got time for a walk?” Corridan asked. “We have things to discuss.” He stepped away from the tree and began walking to a small hill just outside the camp. Within a few moments, Torian had joined him, his face showing no emotion.

“Rough fight,” Torian said, sitting on the grassy hill.

“Yeah,” Corridan replied. “I'll need to find myself a new bucket. Damned Jedi.” He sighed as he opened his pack and produced two bottles of tihaar. He offered one to Torian, who accepted it with a grateful nod. “I've been thinking,” he continued, taking a swig from the bottle. “About your request to join the squad again. I don't think it's a good idea. Request denied.”

“What? Why?” Torian asked, shocked.

“Your head ain't in the game, Torian,” Corridan continued. “Your boots and your blaster are here, but your head's halfway across the galaxy somewhere. Same thing happened on Dxun. You keep being careless like that, you're gonna get someone killed.”

Torian didn't answer, only stared darkly at the mountains fringing the horizon. A storm was brewing, periodically he spotted flickers of lightning streaking from the dark clouds to the mountain peaks.

“So what's eating you?” he heard Corridan ask. He took a slow drink from his bottle, hoping it would keep him from having to answer his friend's questions. “Something about Taris? About Jicoln?”

He shook his head as he took another drink. He had put the traitor far behind him, those memories couldn't hurt him now.

“Then maybe...maybe you're in love.”

Abruptly, Torian spat out the mouthful of alcohol, coughing as he felt the burn of the few drops that had entered his lungs. “How...how did you guess?” he asked, wiping his mouth with his sleeve.

“I'm not stupid,” Corridan replied flatly. “When a warrior's in love, it shows. Trust me.”

The two briefly fell silent. Back at the camp, a few of the others had pulled out instruments and begun to play. Others sang along to the melody, and the soft sounds floated up to their location.

Corridan smiled, taking another long drink. “Just like the good old days on Geonosis,” he said. “So, who's the lucky dala?” Anyone I would know?”

“Kybrina.” Torian almost muttered the name.

“The Champion?” Corridan raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah. Surprised?”

“A little. More because you never seemed the type to chase after women.”

Torian shrugged. “Got chased as much as I did the chasing,” he said. “Not that it matters.”

“Why wouldn't it? You love her, I'm sure she has feelings for you. What's the problem?”

“She's of Mandalore's clan,” Torian took another drink, then set the bottle aside. “Do you really think I would have a chance? Would Mandalore really accept an aru'tal as the mate to one of his clan?”

Corridan had finished his bottle, and he placed it back in his pack as he searched for the right words. A movement near a small grove of trees caught his eye, and he pulled out his binocs to view it more closely. He smiled at what he saw, it would do nicely.

He handed the binocs to Torian, who gave him a confused look. “Look there,” he said, pointing in the direction of the grove.

Torian held them up, scanning where his friend had pointed. “A Thranta,” he said. “Nothing special about that. Why'd you have me look?”

“Look more closely at it. You'll see.”

“It...” Torian was about to lower the binocs when the beast gave its wings a great flap, and he saw what his friend was talking about. He couldn't believe his eyes. “It's...purple?” He had heard of purple thrantas. They were rare on Alderaan, rarer still to find in the wild as most were kept by the noble houses as pets. He watched it until it flew away, then returned the binocs to his friend.

“Think about that thranta,” Corridan said, putting them back in his pack. “It's different from the others of its kind on this world. It may have even led a different life from them. Do you think it's bothered by that?”

Torian laughed. “Comparing me to a thranta now?” he asked. “What's your point?”

Corridan shrugged. “My point is the same point I make to any other guy in my squad. You like someone, you take the risk and go for them. You aren't a traitor's son anymore, you've moved past that. Not that she likely cared you were.”

“She might not, but what if Mandalore does?” Torian asked, picking up his bottle and draining the last of its contents.

“He's her clan leader. Let her handle it.”

Kahara likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent conversation and advice. Terrific use of the prompts. And yes, this has to continue, squee! SQUEE! Kybrina will make them like it [face_dancing] [face_love] !!!!

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Very nice work, Sabyne, and definitely worthy of expansion into its own larger story. I know the thranta's purpleness won't keep it from eventually finding love—so ditto for poor lovesick Torian. :D

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love the interaction between Torian and Corridan. I remember Corridan's brief appearance and wishing he'd been around more to interact with Torian.

8. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    And I'm back in the drabble saddle. this one was a bit longer than I meant it to be, but oh well. I call it 'Recovery'.

Mako had been looking for him for nearly an hour before spotting him. “I should have known you'd be here,” she said, taking note of their surroundings.

Torian nodded absently. “Needed a place to clear my head,” he said. “Keeps me from going stir-crazy around here. Any news?”

“Yeah, she just came out of surgery a couple hours ago.” Mako sighed, leaning back against the wall behind her. “Doctor told me she's stable.”

“Good.” He kept his back to her, seemingly focused on the stark mid-afternoon sun in front of them.

Straightening up, she closed the gap and laid a hand on his shoulder. “Why don't you get some sleep?” she asked. “You know you need to rest sometime.”

He shook his head. “Can't,” he said abruptly. “Too worried about her.”

“Torian, you really need to cut this out. You haven't eaten in four days, you've barely slept in three nights, and you spend most of your time out here moping! Keep this up, you're going to run yourself into the ground, and how's that going to help Ky?”

He let out a long sigh. “You're right,” he said. “And I know you're right.” He started to pace, fists loosely clenched at his sides. “Can't help it. Every time I try to sleep, I see her laying there. Her leg missing, you continuing to pump kolto into her.” He tensed, closing his eyes tightly. “I see her bleeding...”

“Torian, stop it! You aren't doing yourself any good, stressing like this,” Mako snapped. “The Chancellor made sure she was brought to the best doctors in this sector. She's in good hands. She will be fine. But you won't be if you keep doing this!”

His eyes snapped open, and he silently stared at Mako for several long moments. He opened his mouth to apologize when a soft voice interrupted.

Torian.

Torian spun around, eyes widening as he saw her, accompanied by a nurse. Her right eye was still bandaged, and he noticed the leg prosthetic she now sported. She also carried a small, furry creature; a person he guessed was its handler stood just behind her. He had heard of some medical centers bringing small animals in to comfort patients, but he'd never have thought she would need one.

Still, it had been several days since he had last seen her, so it wasn't a huge shock.

His eyes met hers, and the world went misty. As she handed the animal back to its handler, he almost ran to her, wrapping his arms around her as tightly as he dared to in her present condition.

“Kybri...” he whispered brokenly. “Kybri...I...”

“Shhh.” she said gently. “I know.”

It took them a moment to realize they were alone; Mako and the pair who had accompanied Kybrina had apparently decided to give them some privacy. Smiling, Ky rested her head on his chest, thrilled she was given another chance to be with him. She knew how close she had come to not having this opportunity.

“The sunset,” she whispered, noticing the fading golden rays. “It's so beautiful, isn't it? How it turns the clouds fiery orange and pink.”

He smiled, resting his cheek on top of her head. “Sure is,” he whispered in reply. “Even better right now.”

Kahara and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sabyne you know!!!! I loved this. @};- Sweet Torian. [face_love] His relief just comes through the screen LOL

=D=

[:D]

10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Too sweet! :)

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    sweet and touching

12. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was lovely.

I really enjoyed the interaction between Torian and Corridan

=D==D==D==D=

13. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    And here is my next one. I thought about how to do this piece, then decided to bring in yet another of my girls to write about. This one features the Smuggler Mirarre, and is called 'Hunting Sparkles'

“If I don't get Sparkles back, Corso's gonna kill me.”

That was the thought that was foremost on Mirarre's mind as she followed the faint trail that twisted through the tall grass. The two of them had stopped briefly in Taris' resettlement zone to speak with a few of the settlers. One of them had brought his little girl, who was immediately transfixed by Mirarre's weapon as it hung on her belt. The smuggler had always had a soft spot for kids, so she unclipped it from her belt, knelt down, and showed it to the small child. Much to her surprise, the girl suddenly grabbed it, ran to the edge of an open field, and threw it as hard as she could. Before Mirarre could chase after it, it was spotted by a passing Ferrazid Hound. The creature, likely mistaking it for something edible, snatched up the blaster and took off running through the grass.

Mirarre sighed, remembering how upset Riggs had been with her for letting that blaster out of her sight. “I gave you Sparkles so you could fight in style,” he had said. “Not so you could get it eaten by some ugly creature on some backwater world.” The only way she could get him to calm down was to promise she would locate it, a feat made easier with the homing device she had installed on it.

“Well, at least this day can't get any worse...” she began, but cut her thought off abruptly when she felt a raindrop streak her cheek. It was followed by another, then several more, until the sky opened up with a heavy rain. Her damp hair starting to mat to her head, Mirarre scowled up at the sky, as though it had planned this intentionally to spite her.

She was soaked to the skin by the time she caught up to the signal. The hound lay on its side, clearly in distress, its legs splayed weakly across the ground. She approached it slowly; she didn't want to startle it and risk it either bolting or turning and attacking her. Visually, she scanned it for wounds, any sign of what had felled it, and was puzzled when she saw none.

I don't get it. Is it ill? Mirarre asked herself. She didn't have to wait long for the answer, as the hound suddenly sat up and vomited the contents of its stomach. She grimaced as she saw the oozing green mass sitting on the grass, the smell of which made her eyes sting slightly. She waited quietly as the creature found its legs again before it wandered a short distance away.

She crept up to the mass, sighing loudly as she saw the blaster buried in the midst of the transparent green slime. The rain had washed a good portion of it away, but it still left a substantial amount for her to dig through to reach the weapon. Rolling up her sleeves, Mirarre adjusted her gloves before plunging her hands into the slimy mess.

“Y'know Corso. You're real lucky I like you as much as I do,” she muttered, trying her best not to be sick herself. “Otherwise I'd be dragging you out here and insisting you dig this out.”

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb use of the prompts for the challenge. =D= I like and am intrigued by Mirarre and Corso. [face_batting] You are pulling me into very new SW territory and I love it. :cool: :D

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, poor Mirarre! Wonder what possessed that kid to chuck the blaster! [face_laugh]

16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ditto what Nyota says. Your stories almost make me want to try playing TOR for myself just in the interest of writing inspiration! :) (I did actually sign up for an account at one point, but then found out it only runs on PCs—unfortunately I'm only a PC user at work. ;) )

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great use of the prompts and nice to meet more of your OC's

18. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I think your entry contained the most unexpected use of green slime :p

Very nice response

=D==D==D==D=

19. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    And here is my third entry for this round of Edited. It took me forever to think of what to do, and I figured I would give this a go. It's called The Captain's Lifeday

“You guys really shouldn't have done all this for me.” Mirarre was absolutely awestruck by the sights around her. She stood with Risha and Corso on the shore of Dubrillion's great ocean, which teemed with sparkling rainbow-hued fish. “It's just a lifeday. What would have been wrong with sweets and liquor?”

“You mean besides the risk of Bowdaar eating all of it before we can grab any?” Risha asked, raising an eyebrow at her friend's protests. “I figured my returning to Dubrillion was long past overdue. And what better way to celebrate my friend's lifeday by inviting her along as well.”

“It's doubly-special, then,” Corso chimed in. “Not only is it the Captain's lifeday today, tomorrow's your coronation day, Risha.”

“Indeed...” Risha's next words were cut off by the murmuring noises of an anxious crowd. As the noise increased in volume, the trio turned to face its source, a medium-sized crowd of citizens surrounding a small group of armored figures.

“What is the meaning of this?” Risha demanded.

A man stepped forward. “Beg your pardon, Highness,” he said. “This group landed at the spaceport a few minutes ago. The leader's on the most-wanted list, but insisted we bring her before you first.”

“Oh? And who, precisely, is she?” Risha's eyebrow arched sharply, showing her growing impatience.

“Don't know. All we got from her was 'Gammon'. She won't tell us anything else.”

Gammon?” Mirarre burst out, surprising her two companions as well as herself.

“Do you know her, Captain?” Corso asked, starting to reach back for his rifle.

“I would certainly hope I did!” Briskly, she approached the crowd, which parted to let her better see the group in its midst. She smiled as she took note of the armor the one called 'Gammon' happened to be wearing. “Been a while, hasn't it Gammon?” she asked. “Or should I say, Bri?”

The figure she addressed let out a laugh, and quickly removed her helmet. “I just can't sneak anything past you, can I Rara?” she asked, pulling her older cousin in for a hug. “Told you I'd make it to see you for your lifeday.”

Mirarre returned the hug, happy to see her cousin again. “It's great to see you, only wait for the engraved invitation next time,” she replied. “Crashing this party is a bit risky, with everything going on.”

By this point, Risha and Corso had also approached. “I take it she is family?” Risha asked.

“The best kind, Risha,” Mirarre replied. “Risha, may I present my younger cousin and partner-in-trouble Kybrina Sevrelle and her crew. Bri, this is Her Highness Risha Drayen. Her official coronation ceremony is tomorrow.”

Kybrina bowed respectfully, as did her crew. “Your Highness, please forgive my intrusion,” she said. “I haven't seen my cousin for some time, and we made a promise to one another when we were kids that we would spend our lifedays together.”

Risha smiled. “Nothing to apologize for,” she replied. “There is always room in any celebration for family. And our captain has told us so many things about you.”

“I hope she left out the bad parts,” Kybrina said. “They don't really show me in my best light.”

“I imagine not.” Risha turned her attention away from Kybrina and focused on the crowd, which appeared to have grown since it stopped at this location. “Hear me!” she called out. “This woman is a family member of my dearest friend and captain. As long as she remains on this world, she and her crew are to be treated as welcome guests. Any who defy this order will answer to me personally.”

Mirarre watched as her cousin chatted with her crew members, seeming to pay special attention to one particular young man in her crew. One didn't need to be a Jedi to see the close bond those two shared.

“Isn't this great, Captain?” Corso slipped his arm around her waist, placing a kiss on her cheek. “One of your fondest lifeday wishes came true, you get to spend your special day with your cousin.”

“Did I wish for that?” she asked, laughing as she noted Corso's confusion. “Well, I'm sure if Bri says we made that promise when we were kids, I can play along.”

“So she lied? Devious girl.” Riggs laughed. “I see the smarts run in the family.”

“It wasn't a total lie,” Mirarre replied. “After all, I did wish to see her again.”

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Oh what an awesome awesome family connection there! Kybrina! [face_love] Super duper response to the Edited challenge! =D= =D= =D=

Woohoo!

I love and will read more in this 'verse of yours, Sabyne. [:D]

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Great entry—so neat to see your two different TOR characters coming together as family and friends. I bet that's something one definitely can't do within the game! I've really been enjoying your TOR stories, too. :)

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Love the interaction between Kybrina and Mirarre! I love it when SWTOR players make their characters related...most of mine are, as well. Great entry! :)

23. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004

You kind of can. There's a Legacy system in the game, where you create a Legacy across all your characters, and can make them related if you so choose. It doesn't have the nuance that I give my girls, only basic family (spouse, sibling, child) or ally/rival. I prefer making my girls cousins, or giving them other ways to be related.

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love your entry with the characters coming together as a family

25. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Like seeing these snapshots of the characters' lives. For some reason, I'm really fond of seeing how players reinterpret their game characters for fanfic; you get many of the same basic events but totally different people and it's fascinating. If I had more patience to find a computer that would run the games and to figure out the mechanics of it -- but I know that I'd get distracted and wander off. :p

Favorite snippets were the one where Kybrina gets out of the hospital (sweet), Torian and Corridon's conversation (nice that he has some friends/mentors among the Mandalorians, even if he considers himself an outcast), and the recent one with Kybrina and Mirarre meeting. :)

Findswoman and Nyota's Heart like this.