main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Sachiko's Art -13/12 Darth Maul practice sketches

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Sachiko-chan, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sachiko-chan

Sachiko-chan Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2008
    Senator Palpatine from Star Wars...

I haven't drawn any portraits in a few years.. thus my skills have stagnated somewhat...

Although I hope it is a good enough likeness that he is recognisable...

Technically there's always room for improvement of course :D

Some shading at the corners added digitally to fill up the square shape.
    Also, the fine shading inside the eyes were lost when I darkened the tones and I had to add them back in digitally as well... :(

Mars Lumograph HB, 2B, 4B, 7B, Freehand
    -Approx 12 hours over 3 days....

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/MinouCorporation/SenatorPalpatine.jpg]

2. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Hey, SC! Welcome to the JC! This is a really great piece! Everything looks so real... right down to the last wrinkle. :p

Great work! I really enjoyed this. :)

Trikes

3. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    Hi ! and welcome to fanart [:D]

I like your Palpatine, he looks very realistic and beautiful shading. It is good to see fanart of him :)

Looking forward to more ^___^

4. Sachiko-chan

Dec 6, 2008
    Thank you Kiyuuchan and Trika_Kenobi for giving me such nice comments and encouragement :D [face_peace]

5. Ryorin

Ryorin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2008
    That is some nice shading and details!:) It really does look like the senator! Good job, Sa-chan!

6. Ryorin

Ryorin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2008
    Gack! Double post!

7. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Wow! You did a wonderful job!=D=

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome to Fan Art, Sachiko! :)

You did an excellent job bringing Palpy to life. You have a knack for likenesses and the shading is very well done. Keep up the great work and here's to seeing more from you real soon! ;)

9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    He looks great. Like a nice uncle, but evil lurks in him.

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    That's super awesome. Good show!

11. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hello, Sachiko-chan, and a slightly belated welcome! I must agree with all the comments so far: your skills at portraiture, likenss and depth are superb! This is most definitely Palpatine, but with his more youthful vigor--we can still see the undercurrent of ambition in his face, though. The skintones especially are wonderful, as is the hair (gray or white hair are a terror to draw with pencils!)--a beautiful job, indeed!

FF

12. Sachiko-chan

Dec 6, 2008
    Omigod.. ish FalconFan! OooooOoOoOohhh! I am not worthy! not wooorrthhhhy! [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]

I saw your art thread...Omigod..It was fabulous!

Actually, I love doing white hair.. coz it's really easy.. i just do a dark pencil background and use the pointy part of my eraser to erase white lines into it.. voila! White hair :p The hair was my fave part to do :D Haha!

13. Sachiko-chan

Dec 6, 2008
    Also, a big thank you and hugs to Han Solo 29, Azure_Angel, Sublime_Skywalker and Ryorin.
    Your kind comments really made my day and motivate me to draw more art :D :*

14. Sachiko-chan

Dec 6, 2008
    I'm planning to do a portrait of Darth Maul but thought it best if I practice his face first to see how and where to put his tattoos... These are just some very rough sketches in pencil with references taken from the film / comic books. The two at the top are Maul chibis :p

Any advice or comments is much appreciated.

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/MinouCorporation/IMG.jpg]

15. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    The only problem I see with Maul, is that, in some of your views, specifically the front views, his cheek bones appear too defined, his jaw line too narrow and, in the center drawing, his ears are too pronounced. However, the rest of the sketches are golden. I really, really like the close-up.

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Not bad at all. As they say, practice makes perfect. ;)

As Nick said, some of the frontal shots feel a bit weird, but since these are only sketches, it's not a big deal. Not everything will be perfect at this stage and it's one of the many reasons you do so many over and over. Although, I must say that I'm really digging the 3/4 view in the bottom corner. There's a lot of nice things going on there. Keep on going! :)

17. Sachiko-chan

Dec 6, 2008
    Ah! I see what you mean :) Thank you for pointing those out to me, will definitely keep your corrections in mind... :D

Yes, I must admit that I am at my best with 3/4 views... I guess it's just my most comfortable way to draw. But I'm trying to break out of that force of habit and try to draw other views too.

And I usually draw manga style which could explain why Maul has a narrow jaw line :p Haha! I hadn't even noticed it actually so I must thank you for giving me an objective opinion and very constructive criticism [face_dancing]

18. Sachiko-chan

Dec 6, 2008
    Thank you for taking the time to look at my sketches :D You and Nick have been most invaluable in helping me improve, I'm sure that my portrait will be much better now that you have given me the constructive criticism I needed. [:D]

19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I really like the bottom right and bottom middle Maul's. Cool wicked awesome.

20. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    nice Mauls ^__^
    the faces all look good to me
    though I get a weird feeling from chibi Mauls... cute & mean looking at the same time [face_worried]
    the one bottom right corner is best I think

looking forward to your portrait^^

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Cool Mauls :D As a couple have mentioned some seem a bit off, but the overall piece is nice :)

22. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Ooo! Beautiful Maul sketches! **claps** I've never done this guy, simply because trying to draw the tattoos symmetrically would make me insane... **eyes cross just thinking about it** I think that NikLitYouAFlame and HanSolo29 have given you the best of critiques, and I won't add anything to theirs--I will say, however, that even in the frontal sketches you're demonstrating what looks to be a unique approach to form and style--that might be what some are perceiving as deviations from perfect capture of likeness. Don't shy away from that, either--developing a style of your own and drawing from that can be a fabulous approach to art, whether fan art or any other kind. Things that are unique and different can have quite an appeal! **nods** Photographic capture of likeness is of course a worthwhile exercise in drawing--but having a unique style of your own is also a wonderful gift, too! Keep up the great work!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.