Saga Sacrifice--A Shmi Skywalker vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by stacysatrip, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's a little viggie for you, in honor of mother's day. I think it represents what is at the heart of being a mom--doing what is best for your child. This may be a little unoriginal, and if so, sorry. But it's set during TPM, as Shmi watches Ani leave with Qui-Gon Jinn. Enjoy!

Sacrifice

I watch him as he leaves me. My precious son, my little Ani, has left me, chasing the promise of realizing his dreams. He seems to fade into the background of sand and dust, like a disciple to the mysterious Jedi Master who appeared in our lives the day before.

For a moment, he was uncertain. He raced back to me, throwing his arms around my neck, lamenting to me that he could not go. My heart agreed with him, of course; I didn?t want him to leave me. But my mind told me that, if my son is to have any chance to become what he deserves to become, I must ignore my selfish motivations and allow him to go.

?Be brave, and don?t look back. Don?t look back,? I told him as I held him tight, comforting and reassuring him for the last time. His blue eyes were glassy with unreleased tears as he listened to his mother, as good little boys always do.

And then he was gone.

I had told myself that I would not cry; I would not mourn. This was a happy day, a day that brought to my son new and limitless possibilities. I should be glad for him, and I am, even as my suppressed tears escape my eyes and are quickly dried on my face in the blazing Tatooine sun.

I was not prepared for that extraordinary creature to wander into my life. But I had accepted the responsibility with a determination that, despite our meager circumstances, he would always know that his mother loved him and wanted him.

And now, I watch in despair as he wanders out of my life. I know that I am blessed for the nine years that he has been mine. He was the one thing in the harsh existence of a slave that brought me any measure of joy. Everything I did was for him; even what I do now is for him.

I told him to be brave. Now I must try to do the same.
  2. Darth_Lex Force Ghost

star 4
    Very sweet. :_| Poor Shmi...

It's also interesting to notice how mothers (well, parents) in the GFFA watch their kids "grow up" much faster than we do. Padme was a Queen at 14; Anakin a Jedi at 10 (and most from infancy); Leia a Senator before she was 20; etc. Only Luke has a "boring" ordinary life -- and then over the course of four years goes from farmboy to Jedi Knight.

Yikes.
  3. Monica_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Awww, I wish that Shmi would've been able to go with Ani...I couldn't have beared to see my son leave me like that. :_|

Wonderful post! :D
  4. padme1967 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Beautiful and perfect for Mother's Day! I can't imagine how painful that would be for a mom.
    Happy Mother's Day to everyone!
  5. darla101 Jedi Knight

star 3
    wow, tahts really amazing.

Ive been waiting on a fic like this. Very beautiful.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.