main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Sacrificial Lamb [Vrook, Bastila] Part 1 of 2 posted

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Elena, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    Vrook Lamar, certainly one of the most maligned and villified good guys I've ever seen, was probably the most honest person in the KotOR games. He doesn't hide from who and what he is, and I guess I value that in a person. And Bastila...well, she's a tool, just as much as Revan was, poor kid.

Sometimes, you've just got to look at things from a different perspective.

swswswswsw

The first time Vrook met Bastila, he was unimpressed. A slip of a girl whose only talent was a skill whose usefulness was only as good as the user?s concentration?well, such a girl had no place on a strike team whose mission was assassinating the current Dark Lord of the Sith, he said. He said that several times, but unfortunately, his fellow Masters on the Council had lost their minds, for they overruled him.

?We need her power, Vrook. I don?t think we can succeed without her skills,? Vandar told him apologetically, and Vrook felt like pointing out that a seventeen year old girl with mediocre saber skills and a talent for thinking really hard hadn?t won any of the wars he?d seen, and he was sure it wasn?t any different now.

Instead, he bit his tongue and counted to ten, and told the others, ?If she?s doing this, I?m training her. Her saber skills are atrocious.? They smile and give their assent, and Vrook tries not to glare at them. He?s being used, and so is Bastila, but he?s gotten used to it. He doubts she even knows.

swswswswswsw

And he?s right. The girl sees only the honor, not the shame. She can?t fight, she can?t think ? but she can die. And Vrook hates the waste of it all ? because even if she?s nothing now, she won?t always be nothing, not if she survives this war. There?s no point in sending her to her death, no point at all. Battle Meditation will not save them, and he?s reasonably sure that killing Revan won?t save them ? after all, that still leaves Malak, doesn?t it?

Bastila is only a mascot, a sign of hope to the Republic. Unfortunately, the nature of such signs is that they rarely survive long, especially if they lack both common sense and swordsmanship.

So he drills her and drills her and drills her some more, until she can block and strike in her sleep. Jut that, though. He doesn?t bother teaching her any specific lightsaber forms ? that?d just distract her. She doesn?t understand, though.

?Why won?t you teach me a form? I would be less of a liability against Revan-?

?Wrong,? he snaps. ?Revan might be a military genius and the current Dark Lord of the Sith, but he was only a mediocre swordsman. Still better than you, of course, but what I?m teaching you are the basics, and these basics will keep you alive far longer than fancy footwork and flashing lights. Now begin again.?

Fuming, Bastila picks up her vibroblade and gets into the proper position again. Vrook begins the pattern ? block, strike, block, strike, strike, strike ? ?Pay attention to me, Padawan! Battle Meditation will not save you if Revan guts you where you stand!?

Bastila flushes, and renews her attack. ?Yes, Master Vrook,? she mutters through gritted teeth, and he grins and attacks her again, quickly disarming her. He sees resentment smoldering in her blue eyes, but he doesn?t care. His duty is to teach Jedi what they need to survive, not molly-coddle them until they die. Maybe she?s beginning to understand that, because she lunges for her weapon and begins again.

?Good,? he says approvingly, and just for a second a triumphant smile lights her face.

swswswswswswsw

Three months later, another Council meeting is called, and Vrook wearily sets off for the long trip between Dantooine and Coruscant. It?s uncomfortable in the shuttle, and he busies himself piloting, leaving Vandar to his meditation. The strike team left two weeks ago, and they?ve had no news. There was a small victory in the Mid-Rim, but there is no news other than that.

Vrook has never believed that no news is good news. Generally, it?s the opposite, and he pray

2. Xeks321

Xeks321 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2005
    An excellent start to an interesting story. It is interesting to see what happened to Bastilla prior to the events in KOTOR and how the other masters thought of her. Especially Vrook. I never liked him anyway. Good job, I can't wait for the second part.

Xeks

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    [Reply will go here!]

All in all though - I like it a lot so far!

- The Imperial Ewok

4. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Very interesting view of Vrook. Most people see him as an incorrigible old grouch. Nice to see someone paint him in a more favorable light.

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm not familiar with Vrook, but I know good writing when I see it! :p I am very intrigued so far, and look forward to more! =D=

6. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    I love Kotor. A great beginning.:D I usually lurk in the other forums - any way to get PMed when part two is up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.