main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Sad News] Ann Crispin has passed away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Sorry to hear this. She will be in my thoughts and hopefully a recovery is not out of the question.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hope she gets better soon [face_praying]

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What Robimus said. I enjoyed her SW books a lot.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    She's always been at the top of my list of Bantam authors I hope return to Star Wars someday. She's a great writer, but this is about more than just how her life affects us as Star Wars fans; it's about her and her family and friends. So it's good that she appears to be with them and relatively at peace with whatever happens. I do hope she pulls through, likely or unlikely.

jSarek likes this.
  5. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Corrected. ;)

Reaper63 likes this.
  6. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I really enjoyed her SW and ST work. My best wishes to her and "thank you" for the hours I spent reading her books..

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Anyway -- I alluded to this earlier, but I just wanted to say... Ann Crispin was one of the best VIP users we've had. Long after she wrote her EU books, she continued to post on these boards and talk with the users -- not just in her capacity as an author, but just because it seemed like she enjoyed socializing with us. It was always great whenever she posted in a thread, and she had some pretty funny things to say about Han.

Really hope she pulls through.

Bib Fartuna and jSarek like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The first Han Solo book really did something unexpected:

Coruscant = An absolute dump!

Sad news.

9. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    May the force be with her. I hope she pulls through.

10. Caledre

Caledre Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2006
    Very sad to hear this too. She sounds like a great person, and very kind to other writers. I haven't read her Solo trilogy, but I always wanted to. Bumping it up in the queue, now. Better late than never.

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Very sad news. As others have mentioned, her Han Solo novels are fantastic. Reading the HST while reading the masterful Brian Daley novels in their correct places (frankly, the fact that she was awesome enough to directly work those novels in would be enough to make her awesome; luckily her books are also great on their own terms) remains the most interesting, and certainly one of the most fun experiences I've had with Star Wars. I highly recommend it.

Reading her books, one isn't left with an impression that she's out to make a quick buck doing a tie-in. She clearly believed in Star Wars as a cohesive universe, and did extensive research to remain faithful to that universe. She didn't throw up her hands and phone it in when it came to her weaknesses (which, by her own admission, was space battles and ships); she called up Michael Stackpole and got him to help her. Plus, one aspect of the Original Trilogy that she simply nailed was at giving the impression that the world in which she told her story was so much larger than what was shown. Like with James Luceno, her books hint that so much else is going on even as her own stellar story unfolds. She makes the SW universe seem like a place with infinite untold stories, a place where background characters are just as interesting as the ones in the films. If the Star Wars franchise had more authors like her, it would be a much greater place.

Regardless of her work, no one deserves to go through this. I hope she pulls through.

Any particularly memorable gems for us brats who weren't here at the time?

From what I understand, crowds of "Bria bashers" were the ones chiefly responsible for scaring her away from the boards, and if that's true it's a shame. It's always fun interacting with the author of a work you enjoy, and always terrible when seeing that person be verbally abused for it.

Iron_lord, Jedi_Glover and Giovs like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Let's not air dirty old laundry in a thread like this, since in those circumstances nobody comes out looking well. Not the time or place for it.

Anyway, I wasn't anybody of particular consequence at the time and mostly didn't interact with her, but I remember (for some reason) her posting in a thread about whether Han would wear boxers or briefs. Seemed odd and kind of amusing to see an author opine on the subject, but then it occurred to me then (a common sense thing now, I suppose) that VIPs are fans just like the rest of us.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Enduring memory of the HST?

I remain convinced Mothma gave Tharen's band of lunatics the Death Star plans task as a suicide mission to get rid of them because they had become a liability to the Rebellion!

krtmd and Vialco like this.
  14. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    Hope she pulls through. I read the last 2 of the 3 HST novels when I was a kid and they are still some of my favorite SW books. Get better, Ann! WE COMMAND IT.

15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I love this theory. It might just change my mind about Mon Mothma.

Maybe.

16. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    This is really sad to hear, i read the trilogy when i was in middle school and loved them. i think i'm gonna have to read them again..

17. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Terrible news. Best wishes to her and her family.

I read the HST a while ago during the time that I broke up with a former partner - needless to say, I was shockingly depressed at both the outcome of my life and the story as it progressed, but the books now hold a special place in my collection as having helped me pull through a rough time of my own - a testament to her abilities as an author.

And, let's not forget that the HST contains my personal favourite romance of any book or movie in the Star Wars galaxy - Muuurgh and Mrrov!

TKT and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm liking this for Muuurgh and Mrrov. Those characters are awesome! Wish we could see more of them.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    :(

May the Force be with her...

20. family_business

family_business Jedi Knight

Jun 22, 2006
    RIP Ann Crispin.

21. General_Un-Co

General_Un-Co Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2010
    The Han Solo Trilogy was definitely my favorite book trilogy. Ann Crispins contributions to the EU have been and will be missed.

22. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
  23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I Googled her earlier - turns out she was born in the same town I grew up in (Stamford CT). Don't know where she attended school but as she is older than me I doubt our paths crossed.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh wow. I was thinking about her just a couple of days ago. Very sad to hear.

25. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Has this been confirmed? I'm not on Facebook, so can't check via that way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.