main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(Sad News from Disney) Indiana Jones spectacular performer dies after stunt

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Captain_Typho, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    From cnn.com

(CNN) -- A Disney stunt performer died Monday night after suffering an injury during a rehearsal, company and local officials said.

A performer was injured during rehearsal for the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular at Hollywood Studios.

Walt Disney World spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said the performer was injured while performing a tumbling roll for the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular at Disney's Hollywood Studios, part of the Orlando, Florida, theme park.

It was the third fatal incident at the park in less than two months. Earlier this month, a performer was injured in a pirate show and later died. In July, two monorail trains collided, killing a driver.

"'We feel a sense of loss for these valued cast members," Suarez said. She said a review would be conducted on each incident. Performers receive extensive training, she said.

The Orange County Sheriff's Department identified the performer in the latest incident as Anislav Varbanov, 30, and said he had been pronounced dead at a hospital. Watch a report on the incident »

Security personnel at Hollywood Studios called 911 Monday evening to say a cast member had suffered a head injury during the rehearsal, the sheriff's department said. No other details were given.

The sheriff's department said the incident is under investigation.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Sad. Been some tragic accidents at Disney this year.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Didn't know there was a previous death prior to the monorail crash. It has been a bad year for Disney employees. Is this the first major injury/fatality to occur at the Indy Stunt Spectacular? They've been doing the show for twenty years but I can't recall anything ever going wrong. However it is a STUNT show so there has always been an element of danger involved.

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Wow, this is sobering news. RIP. @};-

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't recall any news about fatalities before but I could be mistaken.

6. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    It's surprising to me that so many people hadn't heard about the Monorail accident. These two most recent deaths--the Pirate and Epic accidents--have been in my department (I work at WDW in Entertainment) and they've saddened us all. it's very sobering. But the two stunt accidents were just that--freak accidents. They were both professionals in their field, and something just went wrong.

@};-

7. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    @};- R.I.P.

Im pretty sure that was the first death on the Indy spectacular ride.

8. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    It's not a ride, it's a show, with live stunt performers. Which makes it so dangerous. I actually used to date one of the stuntmen from that show.

@};-

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Geez, this is terrible. :( Sad news, indeed. RIP. @};-

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    It's a really fun show, but it needs updating. It's pretty ridiculous that they keep referring to the 30-something performers as "Harrison Ford's and Karen Allen's stunt doubles". The whole "It's just a movie set" conceit is probably my least favorite aspect about Studios. Especially on a ride like Star Tours that is so clearly designed to be a trip into the world of the movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.