Sad News Re: One of our School Falcons...

Discussion in 'Santa Cruz, CA' started by Master--Kenobi, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    :_| :_| :_| My Aide just walked in about 15 min ago and told me that she accidently hit a bird on the way home. AND she thinks it might be Millennium. (It was a Kestral and he/she had some pretty unique markings.)..While we have two Kestral's here...it sounds like it might have been "ours." The bird was fixed upon something dead in the road and she saw it to the right of her car swoop down and nothing could be done. In a blink of an eye, it was hit and instantly gone. She was sobbing as she told me, and I just feel so sorry for her. It was a complete and total "circle of life" type of thing. (Course both of us lost it, as we had grown attached to our little feathered family.)I'm just thankful she didn't swerve and things could have been so much worse.

If it was Millennium, then at least it was quick, and he/she gave us a year of joy and learning about life. IF it wasn't him/her, then it was the mate..and that will still be just as hard to take, as we were getting quite attached to the both of them. While I normally am truthful with the kids about things like this...it's only three more days to the end of the year, and I just don't know if I should break it to them.

So Clear Skies little buddy. Thanks for the gifts you brought to us...fly free...and may the game be plentiful.
  2. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Working with birds and being as close to raptors as I have been, I know how hard it is to have one die. Car impacts happen so often, and at least I can take some consolation knowing that your aide and you feel badly for the accident. There are so many people who wouldn't think twice about hitting them.

May Millenium be free. He was a special little bird and I know you will miss him. Do not tell the kids just yet. Perhaps someday they will understand, but this close to summer vacation they do not need this devastating news.

*hugs for you and your aide*
  3. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    That is really such sad news. I agree, don't tell the kids, I think in this circumstance they don't need to know.

{{hugs}}

**Speed and safe passage Millenium**
  4. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    *HUG* That's so sad. Sometimes, an impact with a car is unavoidable...it's not her fault, really. Obviously she would have avoided doing it if she possibly could have.

:(

Condolences...

- Kai
  5. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sorry to hear about this. I love birds of prey. They have always fascinated me

Years ago, an ex-boyfriend, the last one I'll ever care to have, in fact, was living on a ranch with a family, and he decided to "rescue" a pair of baby Kestrels because he didn't see the mom for a couple of days (probably because he kept going around the nest and scaring her off :rolleyes:) He was keeping them in a dog carrier the first weekend and one died. I was so mad at him. :mad:

He built a big enclosure for the surviving one and caught live mice for her, which were plentiful. I kept imploring him to let her go, once she matured, and he finally did, but not until he moved from the ranch.

I'm sursprised you didn't know your bird's sex. If it had gray patches on it's wings and head, then it was male.

6. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, we were 99% sure that Millennium was a male, but there wasn't much left to really identify. Just what looked like the unique markings near the head. So that's why the he/she designation. And neither Millennium or his mate showed up today.

Lori,

Sorry about the bad experience that you had. What a jerk!!!
  7. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I could go on and on about idiots who think they know how to care for raptors, but I'll save it for in-person rantings. It's more effective that way. ;)

Kestrels are nice in that they are one of very few raptors that you can easily tell the sexes just by looking at them. I have had thoughts of getting a kestrel as my next falconry bird, but I don't really have the time to be weighing her three times a day and feeding miniscule tidbits in order to keep the weight at an optimum. So here's to another fat Red-tail for next season!! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.