main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sad to See The SW Hoopla Wind Down

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SHAD0W-JEDI, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strider24

strider24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2005
    I agree fully.. I'm outta here, thanks again for the friendly words of advice. It's a nice change!

2. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    1- palpatine's crystal wich made him stronger in the force than luke:oops:

2- episodes 7-9[face_sick]

3- cloned vader[face_not_talking]

4- midichlorian counting:eek:

5- yes,i second chozn1's notion, its a very healthy thing to stay away from supershadow[face_talk_hand]

3. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    yeah what is it with him never repsonding, I did give him a bunch of crap though. So if by the end of the SW hoopla happens, and SW hoopla is Supershadow, then I'll be happy.O:) [face_praying] ;)

4. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    No problem. Say a prayer for future movies tonight [face_praying] :p

5. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    We still have plenty to look forward to.

We have the Live action series coming in the near future. This may not be as technically advanced as the films but will likely have the same mythological spirit. So I'm looking forward to this

We also have the animated series coming in the near future. I'm not a huge anime fan but some of it can be pretty cool just for the visual medium. In truth I haven't even looked at any of the clone wars series so I don't have much of an opineon either way. And anyway it may be a whole new art style and rhythm.

Plus all the films are going to be released in digital 3D. This is a guaranteed showing of the films in theatres again regardless. But also this has some huge potential that many may not have even considered. With the release of ROTS on DVD, the documentary 'The Chosen One' confirmed that Yoda is now digital for Episode 1, replacing the 'unique' version of Yoda from that film. This had already been confirmed via word of mouth but for me seeing is believing.

Considering all six films have to be taken apart and reprocessed for the 3D medium; it's highly likely that many of the lackluster visual elements from the series will be upgraded or even reimagined in the process.

When I first saw the Special Editions back in 1997, it seemed like the versions were more of a test to see what could be done and how audiences would react to various changes. Lucas being a film pioneer at heart may have been planning this for far longer than any of us have imagined. Many of the added effects or changes were experimental, but what I've noticed with the creation of each new prequal is the integration of some kind of digital template from the PT included in the OT; TPM digital Jabba for Episode 4 as well as the inclusion of the ROTS Emperor for Episode 5 for starters.

I would guess that ROTS is as close to the idea of what a space opera should look like visually from George Lucas' perspective. What that means to me is, it's quite possible that the entire series may get an upgrade in terms of visual effects to better reflect what was seen in Episode 3. Everything from costume detailing, digital backdrops and characters as well as combat choreography could end up being re-imagined; along with the more obvious things like space battles, lightsabers and blaster effects as well as things like lighting, color temperature, and shadow using tools created for this purpose over the last couple of years.

Perhaps none of this may ever occur but consider that Episode 4 was specifically created with the technology limitations in mind and also suffered from budget issues and corporate studio interference. Now with those things no longer being a factor, who's to say what may end up the final product.

My point is there's plenty to look forward to as the cost and skill of effects increase over time. And who knows, maybe once the series is finnished and Lucas no longer has to concern himself with piracy, perhaps the classic versions of all six films may see the light of day again.

6. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    I forgot there's going to be an animated series too. But I'll only watch it if it's CGI animated and looks as good as the CGI in the movies.

7. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    hear!hear!! a toast to another 14 years strong and beyond!!!!=D= beacause i sure am[face_coffee]

8. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    What I would really dig is artwork similar to that used for the film 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within'. This is basically the same artwork style used for the short film 'Final Flight of the Osiris' on the 'Animatrix' film. That would be my ultimate wish but even something similar to 'Akira' or line art like the clone wars series has used could still be cool if the color is rich enough. Anyway I'll be checkin it out on a plasma with a rockin theatre surround system, so I doubt I'll have any grounds for complaints.

9. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Obi_Frans posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Soon, night must fall. For that is the way of things"

Beautiful. Almost cried just reading it on the screen!

10. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

Oh, I realize SW will always "be there"... even without the additional projects. That is, I know full well there will continue to be fan interest, the occasional new book or toy or such. And, doutbless, SW underoos, bedspreads, etc. SW is definitely part of the culture, and has been since the first trilogy...*S*

I guess what I was referring to was the way, for a short while, that SW moved to the "forefront" again. This definitely felt like a SW summer to me... maybe even more so than with TPM and AOTC. It was everywhere... but (totally subjective here!) it felt like it was everywhere in a fun way ( I am sure some disagree and found it overbearing). It was a unique and fun time... and the BK toy re-release, with the DVD, kind of brings it to a close....

I know, I know, sounds INCREDIBLY whiny. *S* Not meant to be, really...not even melancholy. Of course, such periods are not sustainable, and they wouldnt be as much fun if they WERE! The novelty of it is part of what makes it fun! Just kind of thinking that, with the release of the "last" movie, this kind of immersive experience IS likely past. But, as several have pointed out, the proper Jedi perspective is to note that all things pass with time, and that one must let go. After all, wouldnt want to succumb to the Dark Side over BK kids' meal toys, now would we? ;)

Shadow

11. ChewieHadBotox

ChewieHadBotox Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2005
    Things have slowed down quite a bit. I think people are generally tired of Star Wars and are looking forward to new franchises like The Chronicles of Narnia. That movie had a kid like Anakin in it who betrayed everyone but they forgave him. It's more about the themes people like rather than the merchandising. People like stories about people who destory lives but are forgiven. They just don't want to buy toys about it. They want to move on to the next thing. That's the way I see it.

12. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    That is so funny! Right before ROTS came out my mother kept saying "What if one of us dies before May 19th?? WE"LL NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!" And she started to make me very uncomfortable, like we'd get in a car wreck and die in some freak acident or something. Even before that when GL first started making the prequels, she kept saying " WHAT IF GL DIES BEFORE HE FINISHES? He's waited so damn long to get around to it, what if he can't finish? "
    That woman caused me a lot of anxiety. [face_worried] :)

13. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    actually your mom sounds cool..

love the hoopla. love the time of the prequels and discovering qui gon, padme, the young obiwan and younger still anakin and watching them all change and grow. re read the OT twice in between and after all the PT books and loved and was amazed by the parallels. all books all dog-eared majorly.

love this past year - C3 was one of the best times ever.

love the hoopla. and i will miss that part, where everyoneis talking about star wars

14. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

Funnily enough, I was having the same sort of "anxieties" about dying before Episode 3 came out! I actually started taking a lot more care when I was crossing the road, I`ll tell ya.

15. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Obviously I believe Supershadow is a fraud, but how can he get away with the supposed "George Lucas answering Fan questions." Type of thing. You think he'd be in big trouble over that from LFL. I don't relaly get it.

Carnage

16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I was at BK like last week, I specifically asked for a SW toy,and they gave me a furby. I went back and just explained that I only really bought the meal for the toy,and then they told me there were no more SW toys left. I got a watch instead,but after paying the $4.01

I was getting kinda over the merchandising. The whole star wars phase always happens after the release of a movie and all these people go and get the merchandise cause its trendy and they dont even really like or understand the movie.

Im just bitter cause I wasnt able to get alot of the stuff that came out this summer,being broke sucks.And I only had to get the O for Yoda to win.

They should've done the cans or bottle toppers this summer.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Depends on if anyone at LFL bothers to look at Mickey's site.

18. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I dunno, I think his characiture of George Lucas
    is hilarious because it's completely out of character.

And even if they know, why would he be worth their time?

GL likes a little misdirection to keep his projects under
    wraps, so it's like SS does them a service for free.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In a way I'm glad the hoopla will wind down. This means there will be less people scrounging up merchandise so I have a better chance of getting what I want when I make my rounds.

20. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    My 7 year old has only gotten more into SW since
    ROTS... so at my house, the hoopla is winding up.
    Will reach peak hours at about 6:30 in the morning
    when we have a very Star Wars christmas.

21. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    all good things must come to an end.

22. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Yes, it is really sad...I was in line today and I saw a stack of about 8 lightsabers...they were all green and purple...and I didn't see one person give them a second look...
    But a few months ago, TPM was on one of the wide screen TVs at an electronic store in the mall, and it was facing the food court, and of course i was standing there watching it with my mouth wide open, and practically everyone that walked by said "LOOK! Star Wars!" It's really very sad actually...soon, they'll be no more Star Wars stuff availible...:_|

23. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    Well, after six yrs. of SW activity, and over a year of SW till you drop, culminating in ROtS, I was definately feeling the burn. But now I'm actually looking forward to the tv series!

It was supposed to be so simple: these were the movies *everyone* was going to love. Looking back, I regret the amount of time I wasted arguing with idiots who did nothing but haunt message boards tearing down the prequels. Funny how time has swept the Matrix Trilogy under the carpet so quickly and so many other contenders have gone the way of the dodo. And who'd have thunk that GL would ever outgross PJ? I think, despite the mass of genre films in development, we'll look at the PT/LOtRs trilogy era as a real special time for this type of movie.

24. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    well....today checking out the 1/2-off xmas items, i came across non-dented jumbo canisters of tri-popcorn...with RotS images - vader, angry anakin, likewise obiwan and the duel.... so bought 3 of them. and no, they're not going on ebay. i would never sell any of my swag.

25. DeathStarZero

DeathStarZero Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Yeah, I'm being affected by this as well -- personally. There used to never be a day where I wouldn't log on these forums to chat with friends I had made (remember the 3SA 'Get in Line' threads?), look for new spoilers (and bootlegged Peruvian trailers!), and engage in epic discussions about the saga (with the Sarcasm Knights in full swing for comic relief). Now this is the first time in a few months that I've logged on to this site. I suppose I've moved on, found other interests, figured out some better way to spend my time than mourn the end of a long, well-lived generation of films that changed the lives of many. Plus, there is quite the lack of issues to discuss while not much is going on in the SW universe.

But I've returned for now -- maybe it's just a holiday thing, maybe it'll be permanent. However, there are always those TV series to look forward to, as well as more novels, so I suppose SW will never die. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.