main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA SAFF Open Day 09

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by _Master-Skywalker_, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    No, just an Inn-Keeper. Very similar job though. Less alcohol involved in teaching - so I've heard ;)

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    22nd is good! We can work around that now!

3. JediMaster-Sifo-Dyas

JediMaster-Sifo-Dyas Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2008

Darth Rhadai says
    I can understand the ambition, Coll.. but do we really need to go UBERLEETMASSIVEDESTRUCTOGLOBALSCALEFUNDRAISERMACHINEZ style on the worlds carcass?

This MEANT to be a social club for Star Wars fans. key words, STAR - WARS - FANS - SOCIAL CLUB
    Not having massive Corporation logos tattooed to our asses.

I tried to get sponsorship, you guys stuffed it up with this response left by "rhadai"

And Adalia i am so sick and tired of people complanying about things they know nothing about this money i am handing to M.S. is not just for Saff BUT also for C.B. to have the chance of meeting her favourite Star Wars character/actor which means there is no legal ramifaction what so ever because it is funds that does not need to be raised because I AM DONATING IT TO get NALINI here for this event!

Now regarding fund rasing for Cancer Council i can organise some things from work maybe a couple of 10kg blocks and some EASTER EGGS as well for the open day depending what day/date has been decide.

I appreciate your concerns of my bank account but i can assure you my FAMILY and my closest FRIENDS come first we are fine for money.

Thanxs S.D.

4. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Thank you for you comments, and I apologise for making you think I know something about your life, although I never claimed that. I do know many of us are struggling financially in this day and age and was only attempting to help with ideas that would not have you parting with your hard earned cash. We have almost discarded the idea of sponsors without even having asked the question. For all we know one of the stores in the city might be happy to promote it, pay for it and be part of it. Why am I am enemy for wanting to ask them that question and save us all some money? Its a few letters that if asked, I would be happy to compose and send out. It never hurts to ask, cause if you don't ask you will never know. ;)

5. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    just on the issue of asking sponsors i have gone past MM and it seems they are either getting ready to shut up shop or moving elsewhere.

But i do think we should ask Adelaide Comics and others regardless, not sure how long Nalini would be in Adelaide for but i am sure the sponsors would love to have her make a store appearance so they can see some return on their investment as such.

6. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    If you wanted to do that, that would be great. Thankyou.

7. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    Between us all we should easily be able to get the cash but I think the opportunity to involve stores like ok, mm and ad comics shouldn't be ignored. If I were a little closer than now ;) I'd happily approach them tomorrow. As it is I won't be back until Xmas, so maybe someone should approach these places with a well constructed explanation and ask for a specific amount in lieu of paying for a sellers table and having prominent naming space on online and print advertising.

Talking about advertising, I have a few ideas for flyers and online banners that I'd love to do. But not until late December and 10000 km closer...

I like the 22nd as clashing with sn isn't good.

8. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    I think AD has volunteered Skipp ;)

9. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    No probs, I will get on it tonight. Can everyone put down possible 'sponsors' for me to chase up? I'm not up on all the stores here in Adelaide. ;)

10. Merrick77

Merrick77 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 28, 2007
    - Hit the bookshops, let them have a space for free so they can sell Star Wars books. Especially if Sean Williams is there, he can sign 'em.

- Don't just go for businesses that have relevance to the subject matter, I've seen sponsorship from companies like a meat market for a poetry competition and such. Somebody who works there may just happen to be a Star Wars fan and would love to support.

- When writing the letters put a Star Wars logo or something identifiably Star Wars on the letter itself, it instantly becomes recognisable to the reader and doesn't just become yet another boring sponsorship letter. Trust me, nearly business has been asked for sponsorship in one way or another, whatever makes your letter different is good.

11. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    We can't use any trademarked items...
    Nearly everything Star Wars is trademarked.

Really don't want to cross paths with the Lucasfilm heavys....

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Popping in...

You can use SW logos and stuff like that, as long as any time you say "Star Wars," it's in italics and at the very bottom you put a "© 2008 Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved." LFL is chill with you using that stuff as long as you toss in the tag at the bottom. [face_peace]

Edit: Or, if you're ever unsure, just drop an email to Steve Sansweet or Mary Franklin at LFL. Both can let you know what you need to add if you want to use any of the trademarked or copyrighted material for your own stuff.

13. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    that's a handy bit of information, thankyou for that :D

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Thank you Miana will use that when I compose the letters.

15. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    Very handy to note when making things (like posters and web banners) look professional... ;)

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Of course change the date to 2009 for anything that's going to be used next year. :p

17. Darth_Hunky

Darth_Hunky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    Not AFTER HOURS!!! ;)

18. Qui-GonSteve

Qui-GonSteve Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2008
    Qui-Gonsteve and Amytis can kick in another $50 towards the fray. Remember I still have that Clone wars tri-standee from the cinema to contribute in some way to fundraising. Some sort of spectular motorcycle jump per chance.

19. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    thankyou Steve, if we can't secure sponsorship then donation are needed & all gratefully accepted :)

20. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Well, well, well haven't I come into this discussion at the right time.

I've rushed through the last 7 pages to find out that you guys want to run a convention! Wow that's fantastic, but now you're finding out it's not as easy as it looks. Well what can I say except

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!

MS --> it's great that you've thought this up and it's wonderful that you have so much support from the troops, but have you guys really thought about what's required to make it work?

Despite how much enthusiasm you have for the event, in all honesty the success or failure for a con is based around one thing. Money. You need money to get guests, you need money for a venue, you need money to advertise and you need money for operational expenses.
    * So where is the money for this coming from?
    * How much do you think you'll need?
    * Who's keeping track of where it's going?
    * And the biggest question of all, what if you don't get enough of it and have debts to pay?

If you guys go along with this you really are taking your first step into a larger world and I certainly applaude you for it. But don't be fooled into thinking it's easy (if it was everyone would be doing it).

Look at Jedi Force held last year, despite everything done for it we couldn't make it a total success (as evidenced by the hammering we got in this forum here) even though we had the draw card theme of "Celebrating 30 years of Star Wars in Australia" supposedly going for us.

So who am I to talk? Well I've been on the committee for 9 conventions spanning a 20 year period. I was even once flown to Qld to be an adviser for a Star Wars convention held up there in 2002. I don't agree with LordVaderFF that I'm an Oracle (from page 1), but I like to think I know a bit about this stuff :)

One thing is for certain, if you guys make this happen then I'll definately be coming along for a looksee :)

21. Qui-GonSteve

Qui-GonSteve Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2008
    Hey dags... can you guess who Qui-Gonsteve is... The other half of "Marion, You are beautiful". Master Skywalker mentioned he bumped into you in melbourne. I cant speak for everyone and I wont, but I guess think of this day as similar to the Dom Polski thing we did back in 1986ish. Just a casual day with heaps of displays and a bit of an excuse to have fun star wars style. I think its great that Master Skywalker organised someone special, but that doesnt make it a convention. You have to admit we have been spoiled in our time, and I've got the video evidence to prove it.I hope everythings cool in your neck of the woods , say hi to chook if you see him.
    Yes I know its all hard work, but trust the sa guys.... they do good work and are very impressive enmase.

22. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Ahhh Mr Steve, I would've noticed your handiwork anywhere. :)

I only used the term "convention" because it was brought up a number of pages ago and there was talks of GoH's and all the rest of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against any of this at all, I'm just trying to advise people to not bore full steam ahead without taking all aspects of the event into consideration.

After all, you and I have been in the scene long enough to recall events that raked up thousands of dollars in debt which were paid back from the pockets of the organisers. Definately not a good way to be.

As for the SW 10th gig in '87 I remember that extremely well, which makes me wonder if any of the younger dudes in this forum ever attended it :)

Hey if this event goes ahead it'll give me a good excuse to come to SA to catchup with you guys.

23. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    oh, I do know it won't be easy. We did do an open day last year aswell, but the only guest we had was a local lad by the name of Sean Williams ;) I did advertise that on the Oceania forums too. We had a sausage sizzle, sellers table & fan films etc & was extremely well attended... I was hoping for a similar event but expand on it a little bit also.

Getting Nalini here would be awesome & not all that expensive & quite managable through donations.

I have a few possible other irons in the fire too(maybe) ;)

So I wouldn't really call it a convention as such, but an Open Day/ Convention of sorts. *lol*

24. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Simply put, if 80-100 people show up, it'll exceed our expectations...
    This one won't require a huge outlay as we don't expect a big turnout.
    That's why we can do it on the smaller scale at a lesser budget. It would be great to have interstate people here but we don't bank on it. We won't sell tickets as such but simply ask for a small donation entry fee. Saves a lot of hassle that way. If we break even, YIPEE! If we make a profit, the money goes to charity, not us.
    The SAFF is a social group with a community conscience. In no way shape or form are we a club.

25. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    spot on mate, that is exactly as I view it too. This doesn't have a sole purpose..it's about all of the things you mentioned. Last years was great & we made a small profit for the Cancer Council, if we can do the same again, that's great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.