main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA SAFF Open Day - 16th March - Adelaide High

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by _Master-Skywalker_, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    I've been thinking...dangerous huh ?

In order to increase SAFF numbers & maybe have a hell of a time, how about we bring back Parsec. For one day only !! This would happen in early-mid March next year. Hopefully at the old venue of Adelaide High ( If they'll take us again that is )

Have a sausage sizzle ( need a volunteer BBQ too, will get back to that) Show fan films like the old days, have a diorama display, MR saber exhibit, interactive R2, Photo's with SW costumed characters for a donation to the Relay for Life Cancer Council fund. Invite Brett & Dave C if they want to set up a mini shop.

We'd promote it as best as possible.I'd talk to the messenger, Skipp has a contact at the Advertiser, maybe the W&CH could put a flyer on a community notice board...just promote the hell out of it & see who turns up. If it doesn't work...it'll be a good excuse to reminise about the old days & for the people who never knew Parsec, come along and see what it used to be like.

The SAFFers that I have spoken to so far think it's a good idea, what do others think ?

Hawk edit - title changed at CR's request

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Why not contact 'Life be In It', its been a few years, they might be interested in supporting it. ;) If you want to go as big as the last one, you are talking big effort and $ outlay to raise the money... ;)

3. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    that's not a bad idea actually...I might do that. Despite being there for the Life be in it day, what presence did they have there ? I'm getting old, I can't remember...did they promote the day ? Or were there members there ?

4. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    They promoted on Radio, media and the internet. I had meetings with them and they helped with promotional work (copying and such). But the actual organizing and setting up, hiring of chairs, tables, purchase of food and drinks etc was up to us. It was alot of work, just so you know.

5. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    I thought it would be a lot of work, but the rewards could be great, well, hopefully anyway. Besides, it'd be great if we could attract a few new members.

6. Dark-Lord_Alf

Dark-Lord_Alf Beloved Member of the SA Fan Force 1979-2013 star 4

Mar 19, 2005
    Unearth Parsec ???

Great !

We still have our Imperial arm bands !

Count us in :D

7. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    So we would be promoting who? [face_thinking]

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    The SAFF I assume....maybe he means a day like we used to have in Parsec days but as the SAFF?

9. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Clarity at last!

10. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    yeah, that's what I said...I thought I did :p

11. Darth_Hunky

Darth_Hunky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    cool. depends on when/where but I'm keen!

12. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    That would be extremely cool DH, your presence would definately add to the atmosphere of the day :D

13. luche

luche Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    pending further details, sounds like a bit of fun :) Count me in providing I can get to it!!

14. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm very happy to help out as well, (as we well know, anything to do with SAFF always turns into a blast. Even promo/fundraising work. ;) )

15. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    I forgot to mention last night that I'm friendly / acquaintancy with Sean Williams. I'll get in touch with him, although it's around the time when the Force Unleashed novel is released...

16. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    Skipp, that'd be absolutely awesome if you could get him !!

Spoke to Gamers Guild today & they would be pleased to come down & display/play SW roleplaying games for the day. Also we can put up the flyer for the day( when we design one ;) ) in their shop front window.

I do think this could possibly be awesome if it comes together, alot of hard work just for one day, but nothing worthwhile comes easy :D

17. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    I'm thinking a display of almost every SW video game ever...running on the appropriate consoles too.

As long as there was enough security to ensure *nothing* was touched or went walkies...

I think it would be prudent to make lists of:
    - shops in which this could be advertised (games, collectables, toy stores etc)
    - groups that could be involved (501st, Costumers Guild etc)
    - charity groups that could be invited to participate & / or help (Canteen etc)
    - Australian SW 'celebs' that could potentially attend...is this too ambitious? (Sean, Jay, Peter Sumner?)

This thing has potential...although is March too early?

Like it's been said a lot of work for one day, but a full day is great...even longer than a pageant ;)

Edit: oh, fwiw, I don't think the name of Parsec needs to necessarily be involved in the promotion. SAFF is the present and future...those in the know will understand the Parsec heritage.

Would it be worth getting Steve A. back for this?

If we can get 2 or 3 people who have some 'ties' (ha, a pun ;) ) with SW, scheduled talks could be a part of this too :)

I should keep a lid on it ;)

18. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    you're thinking big...I like that... I think Jay etc might be a little too big, but certainly Sean would be great to have there & the promotion in stores would work too...Adelaide comic store etc I'm sure'd help !!:D

Any volunteers to start designing a flyer to hang in shop windows ? [face_praying]

DM..??

Toddi..??

anyone ??

[face_praying]

19. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    I'm on holidays...I can do some Photoshopping for fun sometime next week. I don't care if anything I do ends up being considered good enough, but it might be useful for ideas. I want to finally use this 37" LCD for something constructive :D

Might be worthwhile in the promotion for this to be tied in with the 30th birthday thingo too.

20. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    thanks Skipp, any help will be appreciated...probably like the last of the flyers " The official one" It'll have a bit of everyones work to make the final print. at least 3 people's work went together to make the official flyer.

21. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    The name of parsec isn't going to be used. The reason why parsec was mentioned was because MS thought it was an easy way to explain to the people who were parsec members, what the idea is.

This is for SAFF. Parsec is long since closed. But they ran great events in their day, and an event in that style is well worth bringing back :)

22. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    further to that, I used it for the members of SAFF who thought" I wonder what Parsec was like?"

DV, Sabre etc never got to see what Parsec was like... I used that term only as a reference for the old Parsec'ers so they had an idea of what I meant & the new group to see what it was like :D

23. Bountyhunter_niko

Bountyhunter_niko Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    Old Parsec'ers??? Who are you calling old???:)

Sounds like fun.

24. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Niko - you attended Parsec ???

If so - we've met.

25. Bountyhunter_niko

Bountyhunter_niko Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    Well, well, well. Shall I say - Well met old friend? We shall meet AGAIN then. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.