main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA SAFF Open Day - 16th March - Adelaide High

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by _Master-Skywalker_, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm back the 22nd of Feb :)

2. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Mmmm choreographed duelling!!! DLA, bring your Ultra! :cool: :p

3. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    I was kinda thinking along the lines of what Quin said (with the area roped out) and we could kind of make into a (entirely fixed and fictional) competition.

Like for instance, have a timetable set up for the day

example:
    11:30am - no name jedi VS no name sith
    12:00pm - Palpatine VS Kit Fisto
    12:30pm - Anakin VS Obi Wan
    1:00pm - Obi Wan VS Vader
    1:30pm - Luke (ESB) VS Vader
    2:00pm - Luke (ROTJ) VS Vader

Of course not exactly like that, but something along those lines, probably better to have a few more unknown characters dueling it out as well, and leave the bigger duels toward the end to keep people around longer to watch them.

And it doesnt necessarily have to be spread over the entire day either, we could just give it a segment and chuck all the duels in there. And no, I didnt put down 30 minute timeslots expecting duels to last that long :p

4. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    An impressive line up! Wonder if we can get the pod race announcer to commentate! :p

Of course there are some other famous duels that could be done as time savers:

Obi-Wan vs Zam Wessell (10 secs)
    Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett (3 mins - please add water)
    Mace Windu vs Jango Fett (20 secs)

:p

5. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    Public liability insurance must be investigated.

I really like the idea of pre-organised fight times. One thing Parsec did very well was have a timetable of events for every meeting (not that it was always stuck to, haha) - shouldn't be too hard to organised scheduled fights, talks, demonstrations, games competitions etc.

I see heaps of people volunteering for stuff. All good, but structure will be needed on the day (security, events, door, general help etc). Here's something that may be useful. Please note it's not exhaustive and it's been put together after my mid-afternoon nap. MS - let me know if you want me to send you the Word file or modify it or something or other. Perhaps after we all meet the required roles will be clarified.

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/oz_skip/Star%20Wars/2008%20SAFF%20Open%20Day/Rosterexample.png]

I suggest people volunteer for what they can do and it will fill up more quickly than it looks. Sure, using a running sheet might be a bit anal, but at least something like this will help a big afternoon run smoothly and those in charge on the day will know where and when people are supposed to be - a handy thing :)

6. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I can help out with BBQ and Drink sales, my Hospitality training might come in handy, also could help out with couple of other things (set up etc and, LOL, Stormies for security would be awesome! ;))

7. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    Skipp, yes, that would be great if you could please give me the Word file for that & yes, I think it's a good idea...even if it's not strictly stuck to it'd still give us an idea of structure & that's good I think.

I was thinking "roped off" if there was to be dueling also. Not sure about the tournament...awesome idea if it can be pulled off..that's a big ask though..also, Luke( MS ) probably can't be involved... I would expect to be waaaay busy on the day co-ordinating things & making sure everything is running smoothly. BUT...If it can be done, it'd be an awesome exhibition :D

I suppose another "Dueling" problem might be the weather. I would expect being Feb 24, I'm gonna guess at a 34 degree day ( see how close I get *lol* ) That's pretty hot for outdoor dueling- just a thought.

Went to the "Gamers Guild" today to put up a poster in their front window also & asked them for a donation to the raffle also & was told they'd donate a SW roleplaying game for it...so that's really good.

I know I've said it before , but I'd like to say it again...Thankyou everyone for geting behind this idea to make it the best day it possibly can be.. I have no idea wether there will be 15 of us or a heap of the general public turning up on the day..I hope it's a good turn out, I really do...alot of work is going into it !! Either way, I'm sure it will be a good day.

8. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    Evil_rex and i tend to agree that maybe we should hold the meeting at someones house and not in a restaurant as such, for one thing it would be quieter and cheaper.

We can volunteer our place.

9. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    that might not be a bad idea TK & thanks.. if others want to as well it's ok, but I imagine there will be quite alot of people to attend ( might not- I dunno) & that might not be convenient- parking especially. Still, can probably work around that.

10. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    I like your thinking TK - maybe lunch first then someone's house for a quieter chat about important stuff.

If your place falls through for any reason TK, I'm happy to have it at mine.

11. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    Leave this with me, i have the contacts and the experience in setting up these types of things.... In fact leave the whole dueling thing with me and i nominate Toddi as my XO in these matters :p

12. Dark-Lord_Alf

Dark-Lord_Alf Beloved Member of the SA Fan Force 1979-2013 star 4

Mar 19, 2005
    Fingers Crossed I will be going on Fresh FM with BIG AL to promote the Saff Open Day.

I will chat with him and organise a day where I can go into the radio station and give the day a good shout out !

13. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Awesome DLA :)

On a side note, I once upon a time should have got a radio show on Fresh. But that's another story. And I could have been station director, but was too lazy to apply.

Oh, Sean Williams is IN for the day :)

14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    WOOT!! That is totally Awesome!!! Brilliant Skipp!!

Excellent work DLA!!

Party, party, party...

15. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    absolutely AWESOME work guys !!

maybe another re-name to SAFFANOVA is on the cards ;)

we have a guest [face_dancing]

Great work Skipp !! :D

& great work on the promo DLA

...we now have a guest to promote also !! sweeeet !!

Quin, thanks for taking care of the choreographed dueling- awesome ! The one thing I would ask though please is keep me up to date with what you've got organised. PM me please when you've got it sorted, it'll help with planning the day.

Cheers everyone !! Freakin' awesome !!

16. TK1571

Sep 10, 2003
    cool, i know the parking around here would be an issue and its quite a fair way for the southeners to come up and visit, Skip if you wish to put your place at our disposal(meet) that would be fine by us.

just need to organise it asap so we can get on with the ads

17. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I'm happy to do a talk on 'costuming in star wars fandom'. In case we get people coming along who wonder just why we do it. I can talk about what sort of events we do and why etc. Star Wars is one of the only fandoms where you still get to costume at events other than conventions and movie screenings. You don't hear of any other costuming groups doing what we do. It's something unique to Star Wars fans.... and that's cool ;)

I can cover other things if there's interest too. Will have a think about it some more.

18. REACTOR_DRONE

REACTOR_DRONE Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2005
    On the costuming front I could bring along a few vacform moulds and things for display to show how things are made in a step by step way.

19. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    I think the Trekkies might have something to say about that last sentence ;) :p

20. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Do Trekkie costuming groups regularly cull their redshirt members for the sake of being canon? :p

21. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    I'm not sure ... but what a way to go!! Especially if they haven't even been kissed by Kirk before culled.

Anywho, back on topic :p

22. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    There are groups who costume.... but there are few who volunteer their time as much as SW fans do for charity and other things. That's what I mean. That's what sets SW fandom aside, IMO.

MS and I were talking about it tonight - SW characters are much more recognised by so many people, from little kids, to retirees.

There's a group in Tassie, called Heroes 4 kids, who volunteer their time for kids and events. But they are the first group I know of (other than the SW groups) who do that.

If other fandoms do it, I'd love to know.

23. jabbathenutt

jabbathenutt Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i cant believe i have missed out on talking bout this one....

i will try to catch up.... i so want in on this one :D

24. TK1571

Sep 10, 2003
    BTW, spoke to Evil_rex's brother and he will gladly help us bring our BBQ on the day with his ute :D

25. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Thanks RD, that would be fantastic!!! :)

Thanks so much! MS is very happy to hear that :) He's doing some photoshop work on something at the moment, but wanted me to say thanks for him [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.